So thinking of buying a weekend toy.
Thought of a few options.
Used
GTR
Gen4 Viper
CTSV
Z06

but
really really want a 997.1 Turbo 6spd or auto-tragic.
the 997.2 PDK is still out of reach.

Anyone here own one, worked on one.
I figure if I can most work on the n54 I should be ok working on the Turbo.

Keeping the 535i as daily.
(#2)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 10-06-2016, 11:28 AM

PDK debuted in 2009, and 09 PDK Turbos book in the mid-$50s. I'd stretch to that. The old Mercedes based Tiptronic wasn't bad, but its nowhere near the PDK. And the manual, meh, slower, too much work, not worth buying.

Be aware that 911's are no fun to work on. Most stuff beyond basics does require engine removal. The engine bay is tiny, packed tight, and the flat motor sits very low. Its pretty much a DIYer nightmare.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 Kenne Bell F150 Lightning - FOR SALE
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#3)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 10-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
PDK debuted in 2009, and 09 PDK Turbos book in the mid-$50s. I'd stretch to that. The old Mercedes based Tiptronic wasn't bad, but its nowhere near the PDK. And the manual, meh, slower, too much work, not worth buying.

Be aware that 911's are no fun to work on. Most stuff beyond basics does require engine removal. The engine bay is tiny, packed tight, and the flat motor sits very low. Its pretty much a DIYer nightmare.
This is the biggest issue I have, is the work on the engine and DIY.
I enjoy doing all the work myself on the car.
So this kind of has me worried about it.
But that flat motor, the sound
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 10-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx8055NIACxx
So thinking of buying a weekend toy.
Thought of a few options.
Used
GTR
Gen4 Viper
CTSV
Z06

but
really really want a 997.1 Turbo 6spd or auto-tragic.
the 997.2 PDK is still out of reach.

Anyone here own one, worked on one.
I figure if I can most work on the n54 I should be ok working on the Turbo.

Keeping the 535i as daily.
Hey I don't have a 997 but I have a 991 gt3 rs. Pdk is awesome but if you can't afford it buy a manual because honestly it's more fun on Porsches, I test drove a gt4 and loved the manual.

Don't listen to Mike he can only speculate what working on a flat 6 mid Engine car is like. Personally imho I think it's fine if you have any sort of wrench skills, just get a good jack and all is well. Plugs require you to go underneath the car which isn't too bad may have to remove a tire depending on how big you hands are, oil is fairly easy I'd say just like any other car, fill from the top and empty from the bottom. Filters are accessible no problems, just have to remove some covers and you can see them. I even installed headers myself without issue, and a full header back exhaust. No motor pulls so I don't know what Mike is talking about......

So if you want the Porsche go for it I'd personally get a manual, but that's all up to you.
Good luck.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#5)
Old

Default 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Hey I don't have a 997 but I have a 991 gt3 rs. Pdk is awesome but if you can't afford it buy a manual because honestly it's more fun on Porsches, I test drove a gt4 and loved the manual.

Don't listen to Mike he can only speculate what working on a flat 6 mid Engine car is like. Personally imho I think it's fine if you have any sort of wrench skills, just get a good jack and all is well. Plugs require you to go underneath the car which isn't too bad may have to remove a tire depending on how big you hands are, oil is fairly easy I'd say just like any other car, fill from the top and empty from the bottom. Filters are accessible no problems, just have to remove some covers and you can see them. I even installed headers myself without issue, and a full header back exhaust. No motor pulls so I don't know what Mike is talking about......

So if you want the Porsche go for it I'd personally get a manual, but that's all up to you.
Good luck.
thanks brother
Have done pretty much everything on cars before, including engine swaps, trannies, clutch etc etc. Have done all maintenance on all my cars so far.
So I am not afraid of Porsche, and getting under the car, oh well that and bloody knuckles, its the beauty of the beast.

Thanks for your input, and I would love a PDK, but if I cant spring enough cash for that, I will go for a manual 997.1. Those seem to be going in the 50s now.
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-06-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx8055NIACxx
thanks brother
Have done pretty much everything on cars before, including engine swaps, trannies, clutch etc etc. Have done all maintenance on all my cars so far.
So I am not afraid of Porsche, and getting under the car, oh well that and bloody knuckles, its the beauty of the beast.

Thanks for your input, and I would love a PDK, but if I cant spring enough cash for that, I will go for a manual 997.1. Those seem to be going in the 50s now.
Sweet. Make sure you get a prepurchade inspection as Porsches can have crazy hidden costs if you buy a lemon.

If you can do all the things you said you can then I don't see why modifying a Porsche would be an issue. Remember my gt3 is NA so your experience may vary, but I'm sure an exhaust intake and cobb acess port will be easy peasy.

While you get a PPI you could go under the car and take a look for yourself just alot of covers to take off and everything else will be fine.

(#7)
Old

Default 10-06-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Sweet. Make sure you get a prepurchade inspection as Porsches can have crazy hidden costs if you buy a lemon.

If you can do all the things you said you can then I don't see why modifying a Porsche would be an issue. Remember my gt3 is NA so your experience may vary, but I'm sure an exhaust intake and cobb acess port will be easy peasy.

While you get a PPI you could go under the car and take a look for yourself just alot of covers to take off and everything else will be fine.

yes absolutely that will be a priority
all service records
ppi
and I will check the car myself too
I will need to register on 6speed to check what I should look for
what issues they have and what the common problems are
i did read up that there were some type of a bearing issue on the early models 997 turbo.
(#8)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 10-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What Tech school did you go to? Turbo Porsche engine bays are JAM PACKED. Speaking from experience. Your 991 is nothing like a 997 Turbo. There are no turbos, no intercooler, none of the extra piping.

Basics, sure. Anything else, the whole airbox and plenum has to come off to access anything. Intercooler access requires bumper removal. If its anything like the Boxster and Cayman, so does exhaust replacement.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T

Last edited by Mike_L; 10-06-2016 at 01:17 PM..
(#9)
Old

Default 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM

Mike
Thanks bro for your input

I can pretty much take the whole front end of the 535i out witihin an hour now lol.

After you do it so many times, and I mean bumper, lights, radiator support, radiator, intercooler, completely open her up in like an hour or so.

So I am pretty sure with time I can get pretty good at disassembling the p car.

And speaking from experience, did you own one, or did you work on one.

I really appreciate the info guys btw.
Was thinking a v8 GM mill ctsv, zr1 or z06, but I just cant see myself driving one for some reason.
Nor a viper really, and a GTR is a great car, but its no Porsche.
(#10)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM

I've worked on a few Porsches. I learned about air cooled motors on the 993, have done work on a couple of Boxsters and Cayennes, and interned at a European garage. I'm not as comfortable as I am with domestics, but I can still find my way around them.

I cut my teeth on Chevy, so I personally have no issues with the GMs. I owned a 2011 CTS-V (among 4 other SBC GMs), so I can't really complain about them. The Viper is fun for a while, but drive it in traffic and it gets tiresome. Plus they love to bite their drivers when they aren't paying attention. Give it too much gas and you're looking at where you've been instead of where you're going.

To each their own. We all buy cars for different reasons. If you want the Porsche crest on the nose, so be it. I've never been one to buy for the badge, so I'd probably buy something newer with more power than pay the Porsche premium.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#11)
Old

Default 10-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Mike
I have turned many wrenches on many cars.
There is no doubt that GM/Ford are easier to work on, cheaper to maintain.

But to me ever since I was a little kid and seen my first 87 turbo, I was in love with the sound, the look of the wide hips on the turbo.

That is the biggest reason i want one, that and the flat six, the history behind it.

Yes absolutely could dish that out on a c5z06 and drop 30k in to mods and have a 1000whp monster.

But then, I dont need to be that fast.

Just looking for somethnig to play with, and as far as z06/ctsv I am pretty certain working on them is a piece of cake.

Few weeks ago I replaced front rotors, brake pads and wheel bearing on my escalade for under 200bucks lol.

Try that on a German car.
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-06-2016, 03:52 PM

In my opinion if you can turn your own wrench just go for it. Working on your own car is a great feeling, and you can't really trust a mechanic fully...
But keep in mind when you buy the Porsche you're looking for driving experience not an all out drag car like an n54 based bmw.
Since you said it's your weekend car itd be really fun.

I bought my 991 gt3 Rs solely for time attack, but so far there haven't been too many good events so I just take my m2 for open lapping.

(#13)
Old

Default 10-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
In my opinion if you can turn your own wrench just go for it. Working on your own car is a great feeling, and you can't really trust a mechanic fully...
But keep in mind when you buy the Porsche you're looking for driving experience not an all out drag car like an n54 based bmw.
Since you said it's your weekend car itd be really fun.

I bought my 991 gt3 Rs solely for time attack, but so far there haven't been too many good events so I just take my m2 for open lapping.

yeah man definitely going to be a weekend car
a toy to play with
to work on, to mod slightly and cruise
I am not too interested in going fast on the straights
I like corners more and for that i usually stick to bikes
much cheaper to maintain and enjoy
(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 10-28-2016, 10:40 AM

I don't have a 911 but I did just get rid of my 135i for a 2011 Z06 w/ Z07, LZ3, and Carbon fiber package. After owning this car for a few months now, I can say with 100% honesty that I wouldn't trade it for a 911 if someone offered to do it straight up. Yeah, a Turbo might be faster but this thing is so quick it just doesn't make sense to own anything faster. It's simple, reliable, gets looks, and sounds absolutely top notch. I was so tired of throwing away money on repairs and crap with the BMW, having to baby it all the time; paranoid of what might happen if I drag race it, or drive spiritedly for extended periods. I beat the living hell out of my Corvette and it just laughs in my face. Carbon ceramic brakes (no brake dust and far less maintenance), adjustable magnetorheological dampers, mild-to-wild exhaust, heads-up display, great aftermarket support, 200mph+ top speed, faster than an MP4-12C, 458, and Aventador around most tracks. I guess what I'm getting at is, if you haven't already, go drive an NA Z06, FAST, and make sure it won't be the better choice for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgW2vB1750

Last edited by loesch; 10-28-2016 at 10:45 AM..