N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW F10 520i
Default JB4 as Meth Controller Only - 02-04-2018, 02:14 AM

Hello all,

Is it possible to use JB4 as a meth controller only?

To control the flow only based on rpm, can I connect the OBD CANBUS only and disconnect the other cables (Boost, TMAP, PWG and FF)?

I suppose I can use map6 to do this, correct?

Thanks in advance
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Sure, you can do that with map6. Just enter 0 under the boost targets and the JB4 will use the flash maps targets.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Good reference on the use of map6.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2014 328xi F30
Default 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdi
Hello all,

Is it possible to use JB4 as a meth controller only?

To control the flow only based on rpm, can I connect the OBD CANBUS only and disconnect the other cables (Boost, TMAP, PWG and FF)?

I suppose I can use map6 to do this, correct?

Thanks in advance
Most definitely you can do this. I have a friend with an F82 who runs the JB4 as a meth controller only, but uses bootmod3 for the rest.

He uses Map 6, sets all the boost values to 0, and all the other connections are not removed. You can still use the CanBUS features as well, such as the exhaust flap, gauge sweeps, boost gauge hijack on fuel gauge, and code reading.

Hope this helps!
(#5)
Old

Car: 14' F30 335i EWG N55
Default 04-19-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekdbrich
Most definitely you can do this. I have a friend with an F82 who runs the JB4 as a meth controller only, but uses bootmod3 for the rest.

He uses Map 6, sets all the boost values to 0, and all the other connections are not removed. You can still use the CanBUS features as well, such as the exhaust flap, gauge sweeps, boost gauge hijack on fuel gauge, and code reading.

Hope this helps!
When using JB4 like this does it still have ability to dump boost if poor meth flow is detected?
(#6)
Old

Car: 2014 328xi F30
Default 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Drifter
When using JB4 like this does it still have ability to dump boost if poor meth flow is detected?
I believe so. All the safeties are still active, so it should dump boost and kick a safety in.

I'm not 100% sure on that though.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-19-2018, 07:30 PM

There are different settings but if setup properly it can drop WGDC during a failsafe event, which is effectively the same thing. That's the meth safety = 5 setting.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: BMW M3 and Ford Raptor
Default 05-05-2018, 09:34 AM

so in this setting would I not need a back end flash?
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangkillin99ss
so in this setting would I not need a back end flash?
Back end flash maps are always optional.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: BMW M3 and Ford Raptor
Default 05-06-2018, 07:54 AM

This is excellent I’ve been looking for this info for quite a while. I’ve looked up many stickies and this exact info is never there. Maybe you can add this in.

So for reference to use JB4 to control meth only, leave all connectors connected as if it were controlling everything. Set to map 6. Make all boost target levels zero. And viola?