N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#451)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 08-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Map 5 run attached. Worse 60' and wierd delay on the 1-2 shift. Me thinks torque management no likies! Ran 12.70 but around same 1/8 and 1/4 traps
Attached Files
File Type: csv 0_map 5 fuel control first run.csv (48.0 KB, 14 views)
(#452)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-18-2018, 08:51 PM

Could just be too much boost for the fuel. But as time permits experiment with the 1st gear boost limiter at say 3psi, 2nd gear to say 4psi. It's set by road speed now and I may need to adjust the break points based on how your log of that looks.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#453)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 08-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Any chance we can monitor transmission oil and engine oil temps?

As we start pushing the car I think it will be good to keep tabs on them, especially the transmission.
(#454)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2018, 09:24 AM

Yes we'll be working on adding more logging parameters!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#455)
Old

Default 08-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Installed yesterday, no problems. Gapped the Denso 5346 plugs to 0.022" as recommended.

I drove about 300 miles today and I'm not having any issues. However, I'm not getting any gauge readings on the app. I need to take some more logs but my first log is showing every column as 0.

Do I need the ODB2 cable? Is there any performance benefit or is it all for logging?
(#456)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger Gt1
Default 08-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sym
Installed yesterday, no problems. Gapped the Denso 5346 plugs to 0.022" as recommended.

I drove about 300 miles today and I'm not having any issues. However, I'm not getting any gauge readings on the app. I need to take some more logs but my first log is showing every column as 0.

Do I need the ODB2 cable? Is there any performance benefit or is it all for logging?

You need the cable installed in order to use the unit properly 😁
(#457)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2018, 08:27 PM

You can run without OBDII but then it reverts to a lower feature lower power system like Race Chip, AFE, or Uncle Chip. Boring! Plug it in!

Burger Motorsports

(#458)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger GT2
Default 08-20-2018, 05:49 AM

I put in 4 gallons of E85 and topped it off with 93 octane, dialed up the map 3 on the latest firmware. Unfortunately my route to work doesn't go through my favorite race track in Mexico to do a proper run and log, but wow. I wish there was an AWD dyno near me so I could see what it's putting down. Car feels amazing and didn't have a "no boost" situation occur after pushing it hard.
(#459)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You can run without OBDII but then it reverts to a lower feature lower power system like Race Chip, AFE, or Uncle Chip. Boring! Plug it in!
Zing!

I'm both excited and disappointed that I didn't have this hooked up. I know I felt some difference but I'm expecting more now

I'll get it hooked up later today and post results.
(#460)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Just got back from another dyno session. Overall, very pleased with the results. Backed up on routine work so I'll keep this short and to the point.

Test setup is our 2018 Stinger GT w/ ~1300 miles on the clock. Mods are JB4 with fuel control wires, v4 firmware, prototype BMS intake (details to follow in another post), and prototype BMS BOV (basically, just a good looking noise maker -- no effect on power). Temps around 75F.

For starters I did a few runs on straight 91 RM2 octane. e.g. low grade fuel. I found that map2 actually worked pretty well with 91 octane, at least under these conditions, and was pleased to hit a best of 416whp.

Name:  stinger_jb4_91octane_dyno.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  log_91octane.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  40.6 KB

Next I added in around 2 gallons of E85 to the 5 gallons of 91 I had in the tank. Getting to around an E30 mixture of 91 octane and E85. Best result here was produced on map3 at 434whp & 520wtq.

Name:  stinger_jb4_E30_dyno.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  log_e30_map3.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  40.5 KB

After that I went down the rabbit hole of various changes. Using some new logic I added to the JB4 recently I tried adding timing, taking away timing, various fuel profiles, various boost profiles, etc. The best result of my efforts wound up being 441whp and 518wtq using map5. But I did learn a few things about the platform in the process so it was all time well spent.

Name:  stinger_jb4_E30_dyno(b).jpg
Views: 580
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  log_e30_map5.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  40.5 KB

Some quick notes:

1) I've come up with revised fuel curve settings for the v4 firmware which I'll add to the JB4 setup post shortly.
2) The extra JB4 timing control logic didn't do much for us. Rather than release it now I'm going to keep it in our back pocket for larger turbo use, or when the need comes up.
3) It was interesting to note that map3 performed really well. I think I'd suggest most using E30 to run map3, while most running pump fuels to use map2. And we'll reserve map1 for the really bad fuel, stock spark plug, no fuel wires installed crowd.
4) I took a video of one of the random map3 runs above before I adjusted the air/fuel ratios. You can see the gauges I'm looking at though when tuning, and then after each run I chart the run in my phone to look for trends/problem areas.

Burger Motorsports

(#461)
Old

Car: Kia stinger
Default 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Excited for revised fuel curves.. I'm running map 6 on v3 with fuel wires haven't switched to v3 yet.. great numbers
(#462)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 08-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Excellent stuff Terry

Last edited by BHR Stinger; 08-21-2018 at 02:06 PM..
(#463)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-21-2018, 02:35 PM

This is insane Terry! 441whp 518wtq, that's nothing to sneeze at. Great work as always, you never cease to amaze me.

Burger Motorsports

(#464)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 08-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Super!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#465)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2018, 03:22 PM

On the Facebook page someone asked about knock and timing corrections on 91 octane. Overall I've been pretty impressed with how knock resistant the platform seems to be. When looking at logs timing corrections will show like this, a ~3 degree timing drop. Also keep in mind timing is mapped directly on boost pressure among many other things so if boost is moving, timing will also be moving, so just moving timing doesn't tell you there is a correction. Timing dropping ~3 degrees when boost is stable, likely is.

A ~3 degree timing correction here and there isn't a big deal. The modern ECU advances timing up to the knock threshold by design and manages it on a per cylinder basis. What you really want to watch out for is repeated timing drops, especially in the same gear. That tells you boost (and/or timing) are too high for the octane being used, and the ECU is having a hard time sorting it out. When you see that lower boost or increase octane.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#466)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 04:10 PM

So anything done to the fuel curve settings for this session? What settings are required for this result? Will there be a new build of the v4 firmware?
(#467)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Yes some fuel mapping changes were made and new defaults for v4 firmware are in the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#468)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Is the posted v4 any different from the one you emailed?
(#469)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR STINGER
I don't know if it's any different than the one that got emailed, but the current V4 has the same MD5 as it did on Monday. I think the only thing that changed was the screenshot that shows the fuel trim settings.
(#470)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM

Ok so I just downloaded the v4 firmware cant wait to test it out tonight with the new fuel curves but here is some pulls on v3 firmware.
Mods
Jb4
Borla exhaust
DIY intake
HKS plugs 40l at 0.028"
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-11 20_00_00Map_5.csv (17.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-11 19_56_17Map_5.csv (12.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-11 19_50_01Map_3.csv (13.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-11 09_41_20Map_3(1).csv (11.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-11 09_41_20Map_3.csv (11.6 KB, 12 views)
(#471)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Runs look good to me

Burger Motorsports

(#472)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR STINGER
Same!

Burger Motorsports

(#473)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 07:47 AM

So then just update the default settings to the new ones posted and I am good?
(#474)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Just to cover the basis safest thing is to update the firmware to what we posted, and the update the settings, just in case there was some minor change I'm not remembering.

Burger Motorsports

(#475)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Ok great