JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E93 335i JB4, MHD BEF, BMS *********, CSF Intercooler, KW V1 Coilovers
Default Another Map 5 to Map 4 Thread - 02-25-2020, 05:45 PM

Mods are vrsf *********, Race intercooler, BMS dual cone, JB4 Map 5 , MHD pump BEF , running 91 octane. First noticed Car defaulting to map4 when doing 2nd gear pulls, now it occasionally does it in 3rd. Looks like trims are maxed. I didn't see O2 codes yet. Please advise. Thanks in Advance.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200225_1954 3rd Gear Map 4 switch.csv (8.6 KB, 165 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 E60 535i
Default 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM

WHOAA! Yes, trim is pegged and your too lean. Good thing safety kicked in. If this was flash only tune, wouldn't be good so thank gosh for the JB4. Also, in my opinion, your timing is tanked, negatives when boost climbs. Too much boost for your octane I'd say. You may have more serious problems that happen before you get an 02 sensor code. I would suggest running a log, 3rd gear as well as this log, but with MAP 1, and post it. If it looks the same you need to lower boost or add octane additive or a bit of E85 in the tank and relog brother.
Or tray MAP 6, set boost targets to about 13 PSI across the board and see what your timing and AFR's look like at that range. AFR's being on the lean side though, not sure what's going on there. Your fuel pump pressures look good.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-25-2020, 08:50 PM

Trims pegged & timing looks poor.

Set your fuel / afr bias to 0, looks like you have some odd values plugged in.

Do an o2 reset & relog map 1

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 E93 335i JB4, MHD BEF, BMS *********, CSF Intercooler, KW V1 Coilovers
Default 02-26-2020, 04:45 PM

Thanks Guys. Not sure why fuel trim values were not default Just reset the fuel trims and o2 adaptions. Logged Map 1 and still the same result. AFR 2 seems to look better. Also noticed in the log, cyl 1 timing looks different than the rest.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200226_1915 Map1 Fuel trim + adaption reset.csv (5.6 KB, 148 views)
(#5)
Old

Default 02-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Fuel pressures look good. Trims are maxed but trim 2 isn't logging (maybe I'm missing something here??) Trim 2 has a value of 0 all the way through. Should be pegged along with trims 1 in this scenario.
Your octane is 91, so not surprised to see timing at this boost level (PSI) drop into the negatives almost. At least cyl 1 does, the rest are just in the low end of where you start to noticeably lose power. I'd add some better fuel, good octane booster or about 20% E85 and relog to see if timing cleans up higher. However, do that AFTER you get some info as to why your AFR is lean like your log(s) show. Look at this copied post from this forum below and maybe you can start poking around. Have you changed out any O2 sensors lately or wiring at all? Has this JB4 been in the car for a while or did you recently hook it up to the DME. Maybe lose wiring like the post I copied below states? Whatever it is, the pros on here will get you enjoying boost in no time I'm sure. Sorry I'm not of much help.

Sheeshin

Car: N54 335i
Default 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM
With your advice Steve I checked all the wires and connectors. Didn't find anything bad but massaged them to try and get a response anyway. Switched the pink connectors in my Bosch O2s from closed to open although I'm pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with the wiring. Reset all adaptations again and put the yellow wires 19 and 20 back to their original location and the car is running amazing now. Afrs are <.5 differential and no weird lean/rich spikes anymore! Thanks for your help!

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#6)
Old

Default 02-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Also, just looked at your very first thread on this forum from earlier in the month when you first stated you were running "crappy" 91 Canadian octane. Put some additive (VP Racing Madditive, Lucas octane booster, etc) and see if your AFR's clean up a bit as well as your timing. Shouldn't be connected (Lean AFR and bad fuel), but....... Amuse us. You need better gas anyways lol.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#7)
Old

Default 03-01-2020, 02:50 PM

So I checked my o2 sensors in INPA yesterday and they seem to be fine. Would pulled timing cause lean AFR? Both banks do read the same before the timing is pulled and then read the same when the timing starts advancing in the upper rpms. I'm going to run the tank close to empty and try some gumout regaine on the next fill up. Still no error codes.