N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#676)
Old

Car: 2018 Mini Countryman JCW All4
Default 04-04-2021, 10:46 AM

Tried new firmware today. Mini_b38_B48_7_T1.hex Am able to read codes fine. Was not able to clear them. But, have not gotten the Invalid response now with new revision. Also noticed. Could not use Dash control for JB4. While App is connected to module. Disconnected app then dash controls worked. Could not clear codes with Dash control also.
(#677)
Old

Car: 2020 Clubman JCW
Default 04-23-2021, 05:55 AM

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the email response last night on the 3rd Pair of Connectors. I tested the system out and Map 1 seems to run well without any issues. For Map 2 I had some lean detonation that I captured in this log.

You will see it was right after 4th gear upshift and the AFR climbed to ~17
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M4_R4_210422_2019.csv (17.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by CPWillys; 04-23-2021 at 06:12 AM..
(#678)
Old

Default Map Reverts to Valet Mode - 05-13-2021, 07:14 AM

Since the new app update, the current map has automatically changed to #8/valet mode many times. It has happened while driving.
Is it a bug or a safety feature?

APP Build: A347
Firmware Version 58/19//5

The other Updates in the app are great, having the details show for the Maps is awesome. Great Work on that.
(#679)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM

You will need to upload an actual log (CSV file) for review and input.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#680)
Old

Default 05-17-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You will need to upload an actual log (CSV file) for review and input.
Steve,
Here is a Log showing the Switch to Map 8

It appears that the boost pressure exceeded the safe max.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M2_R1_210516_1149.csv (339.9 KB, 39 views)
(#681)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-19-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWillys
Steve,
Here is a Log showing the Switch to Map 8

It appears that the boost pressure exceeded the safe max.
Start your own support thread and upload a log on map 1 for review.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#682)
Old

Car: Mini Cooper F56 JCW
Default 06-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15MCSJCW
Can you please make more maps, Terry. I feel like I just invested over $600 on an unfinished /underdeveloped product, and it's kind of sad that we aren't getting what we deserve, given that there are other similar engine cars that have a lot more features on their jb4. There were so many questions on this forum that were just left unanswered. We're your customers too. Also, it would be great if you could make a directory of tuners that are proud to work with the JB4 to get the most out of our cars on the dyno.
totally agree...
(#683)
Old

Car: B46 F56S
Default 06-04-2021, 11:10 PM

BM3 now supports MINI F56! Will we see any back end flashes?
(#684)
Old
Jay1312

Car: BMW 320i and M5
Default 06-20-2021, 12:31 PM

Terry,

On firmware 7, map 4 has been removed. Which map do we now use purely for logging and secondly does meth flow on map 0 when JB4 is disabled with meth trigger set to 1?

Is it possible to reinstate the map 4 as a logging map as that map allowed logging. It also seems the app does not upload older saved hex files to update/ downgrade firmware?
(#685)
Old

Default 06-21-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1312
Terry,

On firmware 7, map 4 has been removed. Which map do we now use purely for logging and secondly does meth flow on map 0 when JB4 is disabled with meth trigger set to 1?

Is it possible to reinstate the map 4 as a logging map as that map allowed logging. It also seems the app does not upload older saved hex files to update/ downgrade firmware?
Downgrading is weird.
You need to email the hex to yourself, yes downloading online isnít the same.
Then you can ďopen in JB4 appĒ with the share button.
(#686)
Old
Jay1312

Car: BMW 320i and M5
Default 06-22-2021, 12:19 AM

I used an older firmware 6_2 and map4 has been removed on it too. So my question is does meth flow on map 0 when you disable JB4 on firmware 7?
(#687)
Old

Default 06-22-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1312
I used an older firmware 6_2 and map4 has been removed on it too. So my question is does meth flow on map 0 when you disable JB4 on firmware 7?
Yeah mine does with meth trigger at 1.
(#688)
Old

Car: Mk7.5 GTI Rabbit Edition
Default 07-20-2021, 03:46 PM

What map is suggested/recommended for the following:
- 2019 MINI Cooper JCW (manual hatchback, US)
- no known/visible modifications
- Texas heat

I purchased a JCW last week and decided to remain loyal to the JB4 unit after having a great experience using them on two 2019 GTIs.
https://burgertuning.com/products/mini-b38-b48-jb4

Been searching for JCW specific JB4 info/results without much luck and watched the development dyno threads/videos which mentioned upcoming 91 and possibly 93 dyno results but it appears the topic died long ago.
New JCW F56 Dyno - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
1. What are the gains for the JCW?
2. What modifications and octane are required for each map? (colder plugs, 91, clutch, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Map1: 4psi peak over stock
Map2: 6psi peak over stock
Detailed information was provided for our GTIs (Gen3 VAG Group topic) however is absent for this platform. For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Thanks!

2019 VW Golf GTI Rabbit Edition (DSG): JB4, K&N filter
2019 MINI Cooper JCW (manual): JB4 pending

Last edited by SOLID FARRELL; 07-26-2021 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: updated
(#689)
Old

Default 07-21-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15MCSJCW
Can you please make more maps, Terry. I feel like I just invested over $600 on an unfinished /underdeveloped product, and it's kind of sad that we aren't getting what we deserve, given that there are other similar engine cars that have a lot more features on their jb4. There were so many questions on this forum that were just left unanswered. We're your customers too. Also, it would be great if you could make a directory of tuners that are proud to work with the JB4 to get the most out of our cars on the dyno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislof56
totally agree...
Agree.
Also could not help but notice the same. Seems like things came to a stop after 2015 for this platform. Nothing like the support/development for our GTIs. Chose JB4 over RaceChip, Dinan, NM, etc for my recently purchased JCW and question if that was a mistake after reviewing topics/responses for this platform.... VAG is night/day compared to this.

(#690)
Old

Car: 2014 F56 MCS
Default 07-22-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID FARRELL
Agree.
Also could not help but notice the same. Seems like things came to a stop after 2015 for this platform. Nothing like the support/development for our GTIs. Chose JB4 over RaceChip, Dinan, NM, etc for my recently purchased JCW and question if that was a mistake after reviewing topics/responses for this platform.... VAG is night/day compared to this.
Dude I have had problems with Recent firmware releases and contacted customer service and donít even get a reply unless I really pester them, even then I get a one liner back saying they are looking into it.

I have also had months of trying to get water methanol to work with the JB4 on map 3, BMS are all happy saying it works great and will flog you the equipment but after that your on your own. Most up to date install instructions are from 2017 and the settings recommended do not work.

I contacted customer services and went into detail about the install and all I got back was update firmware and use map3 which I had already described as being done in my email. Honestly they canít even be bothered to read the emails.

The other platforms seem to get much better support and more up to date firmware that actually works, the B48 platform is neglected without a doubt and as soon as I find a solution to an alternative fail safe for my WMI install Iíll dump the JB4.

Iíve spent well over £1k on BMS products over the past 2 years and feel itís money wasted.
(#691)
Old

Default 07-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F56_MCS
Dude I have had problems with Recent firmware releases and contacted customer service and don’t even get a reply unless I really pester them, even then I get a one liner back saying they are looking into it.

I have also had months of trying to get water methanol to work with the JB4 on map 3, BMS are all happy saying it works great and will flog you the equipment but after that your on your own. Most up to date install instructions are from 2017 and the settings recommended do not work.

I contacted customer services and went into detail about the install and all I got back was update firmware and use map3 which I had already described as being done in my email. Honestly they can’t even be bothered to read the emails.

The other platforms seem to get much better support and more up to date firmware that actually works, the B48 platform is neglected without a doubt and as soon as I find a solution to an alternative fail safe for my WMI install I’ll dump the JB4.

I’ve spent well over £1k on BMS products over the past 2 years and feel it’s money wasted.
That is very unfortunate especially after seeing many members offer their cars to the development of this JB4 platform over the last 5+years. I saw your topic earlier.

Everyone seems to have remained very freindly and patient since 2015... and by no means are any of us bashing BMS, their JB units, etc. My wife and I love our GTI JB4s. This is merely observations, feedback, and personal experiences.

No single platform and its members should get any less attention or be treated any differently by BMS just because it sits at another table. Every JB4 platform should have the same level of support and development, especially if they are still being advertised/sold.

(#692)
Old

Default 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM

Well, I submitted a return request with approval and want to share the following reason/comment for transparentcy in hopes of someone changing my mind, especially when I am losing what I assume will be $100+ due to 20% restocking fees for something I haven't unboxed yet.

In no way am I trying to attack BMS, imply JB4 or "piggybacks" suck, etc. I have had nothing but great experiences with JB+ and JB4 on other platforms.
If I had bad intentions I would not share the following.
Quote:
Reason/Comment:
After delivery I reviewed the dedicated threads/section linked on product page to find/observe a lack of performance data, information, and recommendations/requirements that are provided to members/customers on other platforms, JB4 for Gen3 VAG Group for example, which we have and are very pleased with.
Many questions for the supported platform are left unanswered, mine included, and development/support for the B38/B46/B48/B58 platform appears to have been minimal after 2015 leaving only a few Maps with no mention of octane requirements or usage. A response in the thread stated JCW is supported but did not go into detail.
Please provide quality development and support for this platform or simply discontinue the MINI B38/B46/B48/B58 JB4 Tuner.
This was the response.
Quote:
Not a problem, the JB4 is really popular with the B-series Mini crowd, so we won't discontinue, but you can return, no problem.
So I must be missing or overlooking something because I have reviewed this sections threads, read the discussions, had my own question go unanswered, and searched all over for information and dyno results with little to no luck.

None of what I observed here for B-series Mini resembles our experience on the VAG side of JB4, which we use on two 2019 GTIs, and has left both my wife and I questioning why take risks advertising and selling JB4 for this Mini platform given its ongoing state of support/development compared to other JB4 platforms. To my surprise, I have read many users have or plan to remove JB4s from their Minis around the web because of the above mentioned... which I find unfortunate considering our positive experiences with JB modules.

Before I set out return the JB4 today - what did I miss???

This is the question I have asked that went unanswered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID FARRELL
What map is suggested/recommended for the following:
- 2019 MINI Cooper JCW (manual hatchback, US)
- no known/visible modifications
- Texas heat
Quote:
1. What are the gains for the JCW?
2. What modifications and octane are required for each map? (colder plugs, 91, clutch, etc.)
I could still use a recommendation for the above (unanswered) to be safe.

Thanks!

Last edited by SOLID FARRELL; 07-26-2021 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Included unanswered question #2
(#693)
Old

Default 07-26-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
MINI JB4 B38/B48 Map Guide:

Map0: Disable JB4 all together
Map1: 4psi peak over stock
Map2: 6psi peak over stock
Map3: Progressive WMI map (under development)
Map4: Stock tuning with JB4 active for logging and in dash gauges
All other maps: Not defined, do not use.
Terry,
would you please update the first post to reflect your/BMS's findings for each Map to provide more clarity for current/future users.

Thanks!

For example:
MINI JB4 B38/B48 Map Guide:
Map#: psi peak over stock, supported vehicles, required mods, (recommended octanes)

"Map1: 4psi peak over stock. Supports B38/B48 S/JCW. Suitable for stock vehicles. (This is the shipped map and is compatible with both 91 and 93 octane)"