N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Misfire (plugs) or fuel pump issue - 09-15-2019, 02:42 AM

Hello again, if someone could take a look at one of my logs and help me out what could be going on.

Only at WOT does the car kick back to map 4 on the JB4 and feel like s**t. So I pull over and check the codes, i find cylinder 1,2,3 misfire codes and multiple misfire code displayed. At this time the car is barley idling, but it completely fine after i turn it off and back on.

I have replaced the coils about 3 weeks ago from the cylinder 3 miss fire. I went ahead and did them all cause #3 was bad for sure. I had replaced the plugs within the last months or so but that was before all of the mods.

I have **, DCI, charge pipe w Tial BOV, JB4 running MHD BEF (pump). I feel that it is a plug that is getting fouled out under high boost. But after looking at my logs (well my attempt) i see that i am very lean and my trim is not moving at all, stuck at 25. i have done a couple of pulls on may 4 to see if it is something with the BEF or JB4. i get the same results.

Please help me with reading this LOG, TIA
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-12 16_11_13_Map-2.csv (205.7 KB, 12 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Few things...

Enable 6cyl logging

Reset your o2 adaptations & keep an eye on your AFR in bank 1 / 2 for next few days.

The misfires- swap coils 1-3 to 4-6 & see if the misfire follows

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanks Dave, I will do! But how should reset the adaptations MHD or JB4? Also is it possible to get bad coils? They barely have 100 km on them, I changed them all too. Plus today on the way home from work i got kicked into map 4, so Instead of changing the map I started in map 4. Had multiple pulls with no issue, I still think I am very lean under WOT. Where should I be at WOT. If you or anyone has a LOG that I can review to see what is normal or rather close to normals I could be better at what to look for. Thanks again

Last edited by RossAbroad; 09-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Added more to the message
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Mhd is fine

& yes to the coils, I’ve gotten a few bad ones out the box

WOT AFR depends on where you are at in the RPM range & fuel- but usually towards redline- 12.xx:1 - 11.x:1 is acceptable

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#5)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 11:55 PM

yes, i could see that i am never under 14 at WOT, But the pull is still strong. I wonder if it is from fueling issues. I will do a couple of pulls this afternoon and see what i have going on. I don't know how to read the Log exactly, but i would say other than having the misfire, i think the JB4 is kicking me into map 4 from the AFR's being to high.
(#6)
Old

Default Pulled cylinder 1-4 spark pulg - 09-16-2019, 08:06 AM

So still needing to do a few logs, but I think I have narrowed it down to leaking fuel injectors. Here is my rational, as seen in the pictures cylinder 1 and 2 are black, and I was able to smell fuel on them, but still fouled out. Also this morning and this afternoon during cold start the car started with the misfires, this morning the hesitation or misfire cleared up after about 5 miles of interstate driving.

I think some of the fuel injectors (at least 1 and 2) are dirty or stuck open. I think I am going to either order new ones or just pull and clean them. I just know the seal is a pain in the a$$ to change.

What do yall think?
Attached Images

(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2019, 12:45 PM

If the plugs were wet w. fuel- yes that is the calling card for leaking fuel injectors.

Reminder our DI injecrots CANNOT be refurbished- once they'r shot, they're shot & Must be replaced in banks (can't mix indexes per bank),

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#8)
Old

Default 09-17-2019, 12:59 PM

Great news, time will tell if I do have a bad injector, after I do a few logs later tomorrow. But tonight I ripped all the injectors our and all had so much carbon build up. The worst is what you see pictured. I can see why cylinders 1 and 2 were misfiring.

I replaced the seal and metal coupling on all injectors, and of course cleaned the heads. I will do some logs and see where I am at now. Still need to get better plugs. For my current setup I would guess the NGK 95770 will be my best bet, but gapped to what? I have seen a few different number, give a good starting place and I will adjust from there.

Dave thanks again for the help, just thought I would share my findings. After this I am on to figuring out this no Manual mode sh@t.
Attached Images

Last edited by RossAbroad; 09-17-2019 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Adding pictures.
(#9)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossAbroad
Great news, time will tell if I do have a bad injector, after I do a few logs later tomorrow. But tonight I ripped all the injectors our and all had so much carbon build up. The worst is what you see pictured. I can see why cylinders 1 and 2 were misfiring.

I replaced the seal and metal coupling on all injectors, and of course cleaned the heads. I will do some logs and see where I am at now. Still need to get better plugs. For my current setup I would guess the NGK 95770 will be my best bet, but gapped to what? I have seen a few different number, give a good starting place and I will adjust from there.

Dave thanks again for the help, just thought I would share my findings. After this I am on to figuring out this no Manual mode sh@t.
Good luck !
I believe you will need injectors though.
(#10)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossAbroad

Gapped at .022

08 E90 335i
Montego Blue
JB4/MHD E85 BEF
BMS DCI
BMS OCC
BMS Cowl Filters
VRSF ⬇️ Ps
MMP Chargepipe
TIAL BOV
BMS Pedal Tuner
BMS PCV VALVE
NGK 97506 @ .022
STAGE 2 LPFP
H&R Springs
19' 666m Wheels
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2019, 06:49 AM

I'd still let the car sit overnight & pull the plugs again- see if they're wet- I am leaning towards yes, but will see.

Plugs- most start around .020

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062