N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default **UPDATE**E92 Manuel mode not shifting, DS works fine **UPDATE** - 09-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Hello

I am looking for A little help on isolating an issue I'm having. I have searched the Internet and a bunch of forms for the past month or two, and I have not found my answer yet.

The issue I'm having is manual mode will not work on my 335i. I did do the shifter fixed and repaired a couple wires that look to be chafed. However there were no broken wires, I still repaired them all and moved them from under the cover pinching them. I have a background in aviation electronics so there was no difficulty there.

I have checked the paddle shifters and the multi function buttons for proper connection, and I also checked the slip ring disconnect under the steering column. All of that showed no issues. I'm trying to find the wiring schematic for the system so I can ring out each wire to where it goes. Checking for shorts and opens. The car shifts fine in DS but will not shift m mode with either the gear selector or the paddles.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible that with the chafed wires could have shorted to each other and possibly blew a fuse somewhere. I'm going to dig into the fuse panel tonight and check each fuse to make sure all are good. It just seems as if there is no communication for the manual mode to work. All lights on the gear select panel work so I don't think it's an issue there.

Please let me know if there are any steps I could take to get the manual mode back. As a note I bought it used and they never worked when I got it.

Last edited by RossAbroad; 12-09-2019 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: title change
(#2)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 09-14-2019, 11:45 AM

There might be a lingering code in the trans that's preventing it?
I haven't found that a general code reader will catch trans stuff. ProTools is my current go-to for code reading/diagnosis/coding.

2010 135i auto,
2020 mods: Speedtech S366, VTT DBBL, PR Coils, dual 450's, etc
Best stock turbo 1/8 mile: 7.469 @ 98.56, 1.769 60'
Best stock turbo 1/4 mile: 11.480 @ 121.79 1.802 60'
(#3)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 01:57 AM

I have Carly, MDH, and JB4. none of which has shown me any transmission code. I am hopping there is something that i am missing to isolate where my issue is.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 09-15-2019, 04:05 AM

xhp can read trans codes in any.

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#5)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM

MHD can't.
I don't know about JB
Carly can.

2010 135i auto,
2020 mods: Speedtech S366, VTT DBBL, PR Coils, dual 450's, etc
Best stock turbo 1/8 mile: 7.469 @ 98.56, 1.769 60'
Best stock turbo 1/4 mile: 11.480 @ 121.79 1.802 60'
(#6)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 08:11 AM

So I have tried everything I know, I have no xsmn codes or anything related to the xsmn. I have used mhd, jb4, Carly and a cheap OBDii reader. Is it possible to have shorted out a fuse or the actual paddles with the chafed wires.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM

I know some of those harness wires are known to rip - may be worth physically checking

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#8)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Dave,

Which harness wires are you referring too? My next step it to pull the shifter completely out of the car and get al the way to where the wires go into the shifter, the bottom side that I can’t while installed.
(#9)
Old

Default 12-09-2019, 11:07 PM

Ok s here is a little update on the no shifting issue. I was able to pick up a used shifter assembly off ebay and install in in the car. The installation was not to bad at all and no issues were found during the install. After installing the new(used) shifter, i reset the adaptations using pro tool and stated the car. All light were on the shifter bezel (like they always were) and i placed it into sport mode and DS showed up on the dash (like it always does). I attempted to shift into M1 via the paddles, which did work. At this point i am pumped, however, i backed the car up out of the garage, put the car into DS and then via the paddle to M1 (which was present on the dash) pulled off, got 3 feet and bam back to DS.

To this time now, i have not been able to duplicate manual mode on my car. At this point i am lost as to what the issue could be is there some kind of sensor that is getting shorted? any fuses for the transmission? Are the paddle bad? wiring behind the steering wheel looks to be good. If i knew the wire diagram of the system i could check for shorts from the steering column to the center console. There has to be something, the car shifts great and is strong in all gears in DS and no hard shifting. I know, i know should have got a manual transmission. LOL

Any ideas out there?
(#10)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 12-10-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossAbroad
Any ideas out there?
Common issue....hope this may help

No Sport Mode On Your E90 BMW? Broken Wiring Repair DIY - YouTube

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#11)
Old

Default 12-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Not to be an A hole, but been there done that. If the whole thread was read I would not have to write this. I appreciate the attempt to even help me out so for that your awesome.

But for real my lights have always worked, with the old shifter and the new shifter. I wonder if it could be the shift bezel, I know the wires go through the bezel and if something is wrong there then, neither the floor shifter or the steering wheel paddles will not work.
(#12)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 12-10-2019, 10:35 AM

I vote there is something in the logic which is preventing this option.
Perhaps you disconnected the battery when replacing the 'shifter assembly', thus clearing the codes, quickly followed by re-tripping.

I suggest a formal AT code reading.
I strictly use xHP for this, and it works 100%.

Something is telling the TCU not to allow Manual.

--

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual BM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
TMAP: 3.5 barr
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
RB PCV Valve
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Water Pump & TStat
(#13)
Old

Default 12-11-2019, 03:23 AM

Is there a DIY for that, or can you step me through doing that. I have xHP downloaded on my tablet i use for the car. However i have not paid for any thing. I am comfortable to do coding just have not done it yet so i have a few questions.

Do I need to purchase any of the maps or license to do the flash?

Is there options for the DCT and logic for the TCU? ex. a specific "tune/map"?

Is everything i need organic to the APP, or will i need to code it using the xHP and acquire the code from somewhere?

I think you are on to something. thanks and look for any incite as i am about to get on here and dig and learn how to do it. But if you have a step through guide i am all ears!
(#14)
Old

Default Another Update - 12-23-2019, 10:47 PM

I installed my stage 2 LPFP last night, upon doing so i reset all adaptations, cleared all codes. I also re-flashed the BEF from MHD. After doing so i can shift into DS, toggle either paddle and the car will go to M1.

Once i saw that i was like umm, let me dive it to see if it will doing the same as before and after a few feet it goes back to DS. To my surprise it did not, so i grabbed my wallet and hit the street. Only to find that it will not shift past M1.
So yeah now i am not sure where to go i am going to purchase xHP and re-flash the TCU to see if that does any thing. But as for that i have no idea what to do at this point. Any ideas?
(#15)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 12-24-2019, 11:46 AM

I had a similar issue once. It was the alpina flash causing issues.
(#16)
Old

Default 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM

Ok so I got Xhp downloaded and I attempted to flash the factory flash, but to no avail manual mode is not present. I really don’t want to purchase the stage kits if it is not going to do anything. I wish there was a way to get a factory flash from someone so I can try that first. If any one knows of such a file or person that could give one to me, please point me in the direction.

I am looking to start another thread to get some i site to exactly how the paddles work! I have been on multiple sites and I can not find the logic for the shifting. For example, if I places the car into DS, then either use the gear selector or paddles I should see m1 or m2 displayed. Well where does this logic come from?

What do y’all think create a new thread for this discussion or keep it organic here in this post? TIA