N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default RB External PCV/Dual Catch Can support kit- Intro Offer>>> - 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Some of you may have followed this thread along for information and updates, but our RB kit is now ready:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32991

Here is also another great review thread with a lot of information, please read it through as well:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36591

These kits are ideally these are best used with plugged head ports, which means the PCV routing through the valve cover and valve cover gasket is eliminated. Plugging the head ports is NOT required, however having them plugged is a big reason for going to the External PCV routing- as it eliminates boost leaks and other PCV issues through a potentially worn/leaking/clogged/cracked/etc valve cover and gasket. Having it all external means it is more easily accessible for servicing if/when needed as well. Regarding plugging the head, it is highly recommended by not mandatory. Read this link to understand why:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=63

Attached is a picture and this link provides the intended OCC. Please note we are not shipping the kit with the OCC, but are including the adapters if you should choose to order it:
http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baf...an-2-port.html
Model: MMBCC-MSTWO-BK (these can be found online for around $110 shipped)
Other models could be found to work very well as well, this one is just the one we homed in on for usage.

RB External PCV Kit (PNP) Options:

Option A (Recommended)- Cost $230
Custom RB Vacuum Reference Throttle Body adaptation assembly
Custom RB External PCV Valve adaptation (with new PCV Valve and grommet)
Custom RB Mishimoto bung interface adapters (Qty 2)
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)
Earls Pro-Lite 350 -6AN (~3.3ft)
Constant-Tension Spring-Band Hose Clamps (Qty 4)

Option B- Cost $200
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)

Option C- Cost $170
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)

Costs:
1) Option A (Full Kit)- $240 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)
2) Option B (Full Kit Minus Hose)- $210 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)
3) Option C (Full Kit Minus Hose, Clamps, and any OCC provisions)- $180 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)

RB External PCV Kit (NON-PNP) Options (Requires Drilling/Tapping Intake Manifold for 1/8"-27 NPT Thread):

Option A (Recommended)- Cost $160
Custom RB Vacuum Reference Nipple with 1/8" NPT Thread
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)
Earls Pro-Lite 350 -6AN (~3.3ft)

Option B- Cost $130
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)

Option C- Cost $100
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)

Costs:
1) Option A (Full Kit)- $170 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)
2) Option B (Full Kit Minus Hose)- $140 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)
3) Option C (Full Kit Minus Hose, Clamps, and any OCC provisions)- $110 shipped to the USA (International will add $25)

Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail for the USA, or USPS Priority Mail International for International shipments. Please note the International shipping can be very slow at times, with poor to non-existent tracking along the way, but they always seem to arrive sooner or later.

Our paypal address is rob.rbturbo@gmail.com and payment can be sent when you are able to send. Please make sure you include that payment is for the RB External PCV, which option, and make sure if you are international you include the extra shipping cost. Also please ensure your shipping address on the paypal is complete and accurate, or included in the notes. This will make all of our lives easier to follow these instructions.

All custom parts CNC'd from T6061 and anodized black.

Couple DIY posts with pictures, very simplex process:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293291 (this DIY and write up is awesome!)
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260
How to fix N54 carbon build up: RB external PCV modification, catch cans and cleaning

Here is a how to interface the adapters with the OCC In/Out Port:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=11
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=36

Couple DIY videos based around the head tapping:
https://youtu.be/mgXtEzwKIKo
https://youtu.be/4g3OMEa4o8U

Here is a good picture display of where to mount the NON-PNP vacuum reference bung provided with the Non-PNP kits:
N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - View Single Post - RB External PCV/Dual Catch Can support kit- Intro Offer

Links for mounting Ideas:
1M (or 1 series): N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - View Single Post - RB External PCV/Dual Catch Can support kit- Intro Offer

Please note the OCC bracket will not be available for any of the above kits and you must use the pre-equipped Mishimoto OCC bracket or use other ingenuity for your affiliated mounting needs. Furthermore there is no known timeline on such product nor any expectation of cost. But when something is known it will be posted and be made available a la carte at what cost makes sense for us based on what our cost is to produce.

Also if you already have a standard RB PCV Valve it is adapted for internal functionality and will not work with the external kit. So set it aside, sell to another, or place it in the trash can. Keeping in mind at the end of the day these are maintenance items.

Overall I'd consider this a must for really any die hard N54 enthusiast looking to rule out vulnerabilities in the N54 PCV/Valve cover design and finally having the ability to add in a 2nd catch can into the low pressure side of the PCV system.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 07-01-2019 at 05:27 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Is this compatible with the BMS OCC?

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell8
Is this compatible with the BMS OCC?
The BMS OCC works only on high load (ventilation) function of the PCV system. This means that it only "collects" while you are driving in high load condition (ie. under boost, PCV valve shuts, and the system is ventilation only).

This said in all low load conditions the BMS OCC does nothing as airflow actually reverses through it. In these conditions clean filtrated air (ie. sourced between the air filter and turbo inlet) is pulled into the crankcase, through the PCV Valve, and into the intake where it is ingested through the engine/valves. Now with the low load PCV system being externalized, you can add in a SECOND (ie. Dual) catch can to intercept oil flow into the intake as well. Low load conditions is where most of the contamination takes place, as noted by the generally disgusting #4,5,6 cylinders where the OEM internal low load PCV system dumps directly over.

So yes in short: This will work with the BMS catch can as they are entirely on two different sides of functionality of the PCV system. This is not to be confused in any sort of way of saying that the BMS catch can can be utilized as part of this kits function directly, as they are not related and have to be kept separated.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 12-09-2015, 08:31 AM

OH, ok, so this is a kit in addition to a OCC system already in place. Gotcha..

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#5)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell8
OH, ok, so this is a kit in addition to a OCC system already in place. Gotcha..
If you have one already? Sure. Then your high load OCC separator will be in use. If not, you will have no high load separator.

Again, this side of PCV functionality is an ENTIRELY different entity which affects all low load operation- which is the vast majority of engine operation. That is unless you live life 1/4 mile at a time, lol.

(#6)
Old

Default 12-09-2015, 08:49 AM

Just an idea, but would a 3 port occ work? venting both sides of the pcv system to one oil collection unit?

http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baf...an-3-port.html

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.
(#7)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks
Just an idea, but would a 3 port occ work? venting both sides of the pcv system to one oil collection unit?

http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baf...an-3-port.html
No. Both sides of the system must be isolated.

(#8)
Old

Car: 09 E92 SG
Default 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

So this will work in conjunction with the BMS OCC? How would the routing work?

----------------------------------------------------
14 F30 335xi AT- Built Closed-Deck N55, SpeedTech Stage 3 w/ BW-8374C, MHD Flash, xHP Flash, E85, AFE Intake, VRSF 6" Race FMIC, VRSF CP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP and PI
----------------------------------------------------
16 Audi S6 - APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU flash, APR Exhaust, SRM Intakes
(#9)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmonteiro444
So this will work in conjunction with the BMS OCC? How would the routing work?
Yes. Again, they are separate entities…

How would it work? Keep the BMS OCC in place, or simply act as if it isn't there if you'd like. Then add this.

Thanks,
Rob

(#10)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 MOTIV 750
Default 12-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Any diagrams?

I guess what I'm not getting is where does the two piece connect to? Any pics of the throttle body evap?

MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Last edited by blisstik; 12-09-2015 at 12:01 PM..
(#11)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik
Any diagrams?

I guess what I'm not getting is where does the two piece connect to? Any pics of the throttle body evap?
Referencing above picture:

Left Lower Nipple adapter interfaces with the Throttle body/evap connection (providing vacuum/pressure reference to the PCV valve)
TO (Optional)
Upper Middle Vacuum Nipple 1(OCC OUT)
Upper Middle Vacuum Nipple 2 (OCC IN)
TO
Left Upper adapter External PCV adapter (with PCV)

All connected by Right Hose and clamps.

Good diagram on the left here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=82

Very simple connection. Will try to take some installed pics later when I have the moment.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 12-26-2015 at 11:18 AM..
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 MOTIV 750
Default 12-09-2015, 03:03 PM

That diagram only has one OCC. So on the Flapper side, is an OCC not required?

MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2
(#13)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik
That diagram only has one OCC. So on the Flapper side, is an OCC not required?
The diagram is not intended to be a "cover all situations" diagram. It is simply for a reference to satisfy your request regarding the installation of this particular kit, which is regarding the LOW load operation side of the PCV system. The vent side or the HIGH load operation side of the PCV system is again a totally different entity. If you want to run an OCC on the high load side as well, great, that can be done and has been done for many years. Now that we have externalized the LOW load operation side of the PCV system, adding an OCC here can also be done. But neither the HIGH load NOR the LOW load OCC's are required.

Rob

(#14)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Shot you a pm
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic413
Shot you a pm
Replied.

(#16)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 12-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Rob, can you please offer this kit with AN fitting options for all the connections that require a hose connected?

This looks like a premium product, so the option to have premium hoses would appeal to someone like myself and many others!
(#17)
Old

Car: 06 STI
Default 12-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Is this good for single turbo setups or would I want something different
(#18)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
Rob, can you please offer this kit with AN fitting options for all the connections that require a hose connected?

This looks like a premium product, so the option to have premium hoses would appeal to someone like myself and many others!
The PCV valve has a bung. We can not change this, nor would we want to even if we could. This said you can use -6AN and it mates up perfectly over said bung. The bung on the vacuum source is an exact replica of the bung on the PCV Valve as well, so again -6AN hose works great. As for the OCC portion- you can use off the shelf AN adapters if you think they are more cool, no big deal. But the kit comes with 2 custom adapters with the same exact bung as the PCV Valve, and the vacuum reference; all of which work with -6AN hose. In short, sure you can use AN hose, as long as it is -6AN… but see absolutely zero reason why have AN fittings instead of bungs will make any difference in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing
Is this good for single turbo setups or would I want something different
It is good for any setup from OEM to the sky limit, provided you want to retain true PCV functionality.

Thanks,
Rob

(#19)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-09-2015, 08:55 PM

Excuse my ignorance but if I understand you correctly, then currently my BMS OCC runs on the high load side of the pcv system. With your kit it will also support a 2nd OCC on the low side of the pcv system. Since the low side of the pcv system is in operation the majority of the time would it make sense to install my existing OCC on the low side of the system when installing your kit?
(#20)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller84
Excuse my ignorance but if I understand you correctly, then currently my BMS OCC runs on the high load side of the pcv system. With your kit it will also support a 2nd OCC on the low side of the pcv system. Since the low side of the pcv system is in operation the majority of the time would it make sense to install my existing OCC on the low side of the system when installing your kit?
The High load side of the PCV system needs a very high flow OCC (such as the BMS) that is not restrictive. The caveat to this is that the OCC is not a very fine separator. This said IMO the BMS OCC does a fine job doing what it was designed and intended to do for high load non-restrictive separation, but for the low side using a fine separator (such as the one I linked) is more ideal. In short if you have a BMS OCC- use it as it was intended on the high load side. And if you want to add in an OCC into the low load side, use the one I linked above for its finer separation characteristics.

Thanks,
Rob

(#21)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I might order these in addition to your inlets that I have on order.
(#22)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller84
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I might order these in addition to your inlets that I have on order.
We probably shipped your inlets today, unless you are international then they will go tomorrow.

(#23)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 12-09-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The PCV valve has a bung. We can not change this, nor would we want to even if we could. This said you can use -6AN and it mates up perfectly over said bung. The bung on the vacuum source is an exact replica of the bung on the PCV Valve as well, so again -6AN hose works great. As for the OCC portion- you can use off the shelf AN adapters if you think they are more cool, no big deal. But the kit comes with 2 custom adapters with the same exact bung as the PCV Valve, and the vacuum reference; all of which work with -6AN hose. In short, sure you can use AN hose, as long as it is -6AN… but see absolutely zero reason why have AN fittings instead of bungs will make any difference in the world.

Thanks,
Rob
The same reason why the OP (Robc) that you linked in the DIY thread does it to.. To get the engine bay sexy with high quality hoses and the same type/look of hoses throughout.

I think alot of the other questions would be answered with pictures of this actually installed and stating that TWO OCC's are actually needed in this setup.

This would be my ultimate clean setup - Or maybe Terry can make a dual setup that looks good!
Attached Images

(#24)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-10-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
The same reason why the OP (Robc) that you linked in the DIY thread does it to.. To get the engine bay sexy with high quality hoses and the same type/look of hoses throughout.

I think alot of the other questions would be answered with pictures of this actually installed and stating that TWO OCC's are actually needed in this setup.

This would be my ultimate clean setup - Or maybe Terry can make a dual setup that looks good!
Yes. RobC would get some SS AN line, blue AN hose crimp ends, spray paint anything else he could blue, red, or chrome- and be in business. 99% of the others prefer an OEM subtle look, but to those who do not they'll figure a way out to improvise

Anyway the hose can be altered to whatever one likes. It is a hose. Don't like this hose? Ok then use another you prefer. As long as it is a correctly sized hose, you can connect the dots with it by any means you wish. The adapters are the difficult part.

Also as stated above, OCC's are NOT required (for either High or Low Load sides). Not sure how can be any clearer on this. But some may see this as the perfect opportunity to especially add one to the low side now that the interface if finally available. As for OCC choices: Restrictions and filtration ability are important per each side of the system. Really need a type of design per side, so using the same style per side is not most ideal thought. Most who prefer OCC's already have the BMS on the high load side, so now it is as simple of buying a finer separator for the low load side if you so choose.

One last thing and as mentioned above- will take pics when I have the moment of it installed. Not much to see as this is so incredibly simplex, but agree that it will help see placement of the 2 larger adapters.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 12-10-2015 at 06:36 AM..
(#25)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-10-2015, 05:03 PM

Few of these kits went out today and a few more will go out tomorrow.