N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: q50
Default 03-11-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
That's because we don't want anyone to make dramatics adjustment to the default settings yet, until we see their WMI data.

The basic concept is simple though. When on map8 WMI flow is enabled based on internal mapping, and boost is transitioned between a low boost map and a high boost map as a function of that WMI flow. The additive setting determines the maximum transition. The low map is similar to map1, and the high map is similar to map7.
Gotcha. I assume I'm 1 of the first orders. Happy to get it installed and get some logs up if I can get tracking on the kit.
(#27)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 RS400
Default 03-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider
Gotcha. I assume I'm 1 of the first orders. Happy to get it installed and get some logs up if I can get tracking on the kit.
I ordered mine Thursday last week and patiently waiting for tracking as well. Very excited to start the install and very curious how others are going to install their setup.
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Sounds good. I'll check at the warehouse later today and make sure those pending orders get out.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs400newbie
I ordered mine Thursday last week and patiently waiting for tracking as well. Very excited to start the install and very curious how others are going to install their setup.
Are you using the couplers to inject?
(#30)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Are you using the couplers to inject?
I will try and follow the BMS setup first and do a quick post, then I’ll see if I can improve on it lol. My car is setup right now to inject post or pre intercooler anyway. Yes, I got the BMS couplers to inject.
(#31)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I will try and follow the BMS setup first and do a quick post, then Ill see if I can improve on it lol. My car is setup right now to inject post or pre intercooler anyway. Yes, I got the BMS couplers to inject.
Nice, would be curious to compare results. I plan on using the PCV port of the intake manifold.
(#32)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Nice, would be curious to compare results. I plan on using the PCV port of the intake manifold.
I wouldn't recommend spraying methanol into the intake manifold.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#33)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I wouldn't recommend spraying methanol into the intake manifold.
Can you share some data? Its been done on other platforms for years without issue. Other platforms say the same thing about hot injection into the compressor inlet.
(#34)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM

Are the fuel wires required for WMI?
(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM

No but suggested.

Burger Motorsports

(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Can you share some data? Its been done on other platforms for years without issue. Other platforms say the same thing about hot injection into the compressor inlet.
Issue is getting even distribution across all cylinders. We looked in to the viability of it and it was a no-go on our end.

Burger Motorsports

(#37)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Issue is getting even distribution across all cylinders. We looked in to the viability of it and it was a no-go on our end.
Agreed it is not optimized in that spot but given that the intake is pressurized and that the port faces back towards the intake tract I'm willing to give it a try. I don't like the idea of spraying past sensors or into the compressor blades. Like you said earlier, it's a trade off.
(#38)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Im trying to mentally prepare to install my kit and visualize the process. I have a few questions after going thru the fsb installation but seems like its bmw centric. Which wiring do I follow, N54 or other to wire the fsb to the jb4? Also, am I going to drill a hole under the reservoir? Thanks.
(#39)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2019, 06:16 PM

This is the Q50 WMI thread so you'd ask any questions here.

Which tank? The 2G is predrilled as the fitting to feed the pump always goes in the same spot, while the 1G requires you to drill a hole for the fitting as there are various options for it.

Burger Motorsports

(#40)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
This is the Q50 WMI thread so you'd ask any questions here.

Which tank? The 2G is predrilled as the fitting to feed the pump always goes in the same spot, while the 1G requires you to drill a hole for the fitting as there are various options for it.
I do have the 1 gal tank. Im just not clear yet which pin numbers the fsb will use on the jb4 25pin connector.
(#41)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I do have the 1 gal tank. Im just not clear yet which pin numbers the fsb will use on the jb4 25pin connector.
Orange to pin #3
Blue to pin #16

Burger Motorsports

(#42)
Old

Default 03-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Orange to pin #3
Blue to pin #16
Awesome, I think Im ready now lol. Any data how long a 1 gal or 2 gal boost juice would last? I know it depends how it is setup and used, but any reference would be helpful.
(#43)
Old

Default 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM

How I missed that the kit didn't come with a reservoir lol. I'm wondering if I can use the wind shield washer tank.....AND I think I found ports on the bottom of the 2 throttle body intake runners at the back of the plenum. Need to investigate more what they are and where they go, i.e. are they the ports.
(#44)
Old

Default 03-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
How I missed that the kit didn't come with a reservoir lol. I'm wondering if I can use the wind shield washer tank.....AND I think I found ports on the bottom of the 2 throttle body intake runners at the back of the plenum. Need to investigate more what they are and where they go, i.e. are they the ports.
Definitely can use the windshield tank. The problem I think is the wmi fluid will get diluted from air moisture since the windshield tank is not sealed well. Also, I now regret getting the 1 gal tank. I should have gotten the new 2gal with mounting for the pump. Much cleaner install.

The ports at the back of the plenum should be the vacuum ports. My BOVs are teed on one of them.
(#45)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Don't use the WW tank as a methanol reservoir. I've seen to many cars catch on fire because of that. We strongly suggest against doing that.

Use the 1 gallon tank, cheap and small to place anywhere.

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old

Default 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Don't use the WW tank as a methanol reservoir. I've seen to many cars catch on fire because of that. We strongly suggest against doing that.

Use the 1 gallon tank, cheap and small to place anywhere.
I'm spraying windshield washer fluid that is already in the reservoir, not straight meth. The blue -20*f fluid is ~40% methanol and recommended by other meth kit companies. It seems like the risk is the same as using your windshield washer lol. Unless you have more specific info.
(#47)
Old

Default 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Definitely can use the windshield tank. The problem I think is the wmi fluid will get diluted from air moisture since the windshield tank is not sealed well. Also, I now regret getting the 1 gal tank. I should have gotten the new 2gal with mounting for the pump. Much cleaner install.

The ports at the back of the plenum should be the vacuum ports. My BOVs are teed on one of them.
Water actually has its own benefits when injecting and many using a mix of meth and water so that's probably fine since I'm using windshield washer fluid anyways. Good info on the vacuum ports. I'll have to check it out and see if I can T into them and still be effective. I don't like that it's pretty TB and some sensors but it may be a better than the PCV.
(#48)
Old

Default 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM

Installed the wmi kit, just curious, do I have to use the yellow wire to power(+) the pump? Can I use a different power source? Thanks.
(#49)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Installed the wmi kit, just curious, do I have to use the yellow wire to power(+) the pump? Can I use a different power source? Thanks.
You will need to connect the power to the pump to the yellow wire off the FSB for it to work properly, or at all

Burger Motorsports

(#50)
Old

Default 03-26-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
That's because we don't want anyone to make dramatics adjustment to the default settings yet, until we see their WMI data.

The basic concept is simple though. When on map8 WMI flow is enabled based on internal mapping, and boost is transitioned between a low boost map and a high boost map as a function of that WMI flow. The additive setting determines the maximum transition. The low map is similar to map1, and the high map is similar to map7.
Okay, I’m done installing the hardware, boost juice in hand and in tank. All systems looks like it’s a go. So basically, I just turn on map8, purge, anything else I need to do after that?

Last edited by Rs400newbie; 03-27-2019 at 08:49 AM..