N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 335I X-Drive M-Sport Lemans Blue
Default Disappointing day at Raceway Park- Need help on launch - 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Been searching for best recomendation to achieve a better launch with my 335is. Really frustrated with launch control with DCT tranny- wheel spin all smoke and no traction. Yes, runflats suck..no choice..
The best run was a 13.74 @ 102 Trap. This was achieved by staging into lights in 1st gear and hold break and go. Car will not power brake with DCT

One click on traction control, Sport button and sport mode activated in M1.

My other runs were abysmal with launch control activated: 60' burnout and then once hooked up all good but times were 14.9- 15.4 @ 103MPH..sucks.

2013 335is
JB4 Map 2
DC intake
93 Octane
68 Degrees
52% humidity

Mustang dyno last week before runs 368 H 392 T

2nd Gear start off track seemed weak: did not want to waste a run on it...

Any recomendations?

Last edited by gliding_soles; 05-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling
(#2)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 05-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Lower boost limit in first gear may help, feather the gas a little off the line (don't just hold it to the floor), if you are spinning bad short shift into second. At least that's how I do it in the 6mt.
(#3)
Old

Car: F30 n55
Default 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding_soles
Been searching for best recomendation to achieve a better launch with my 335is. Really frustrated with launch control with DCT tranny- wheel spin all smoke and no traction. Yes, runflats suck..no choice..
The best run was a 13.74 @ 102 Trap. This was achieved by staging into lights in 1st gear and hold break and go. Car will not power brake with DCT

One click on traction control, Sport button and sport mode activated in M1.

My other runs were abysmal with launch control activated: 60' burnout and then once hooked up all good but times were 14.9- 15.4 @ 103MPH..sucks.

2013 335is
JB4 Map 2
DC intake
93 Octane
68 Degrees
52% humidity

Mustang dyno last week before runs 368 H 392 T

2nd Gear start off track seemed weak: did not want to waste a run on it...

Any recomendations?
First start with a good set of tires. I recommend M&H drag radials.
If your not using tire don't burn out roll around the water and then just quickly clean them off by spinning.
At the track I launch at 3000 rpm on drag radials.
On the street 1500. Huge difference.
(#4)
Old

Car: E92 DCT ///M
Default 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM

need sticky tires
(#5)
Old

Car: 335IS
Default 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM

Best I have run was a 12.6 at 108 with 1.9 60ft 85 degrees that day. map 1, DCI, 91 octane everything else stock. i ran 13's all day until i lowered the tire pressure down to 32psi on the run flats and got the launch correct, also need to avoid the water and spin the tires to clean is a must! i try to launch at 2500rpm, this video gives you an idea of how you have to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwFHg71R7U
(#6)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925_335IS
Best I have run was a 12.6 at 108 with 1.9 60ft 85 degrees that day. map 1, DCI, 91 octane everything else stock. i ran 13's all day until i lowered the tire pressure down to 32psi on the run flats and got the launch correct, also need to avoid the water and spin the tires to clean is a must! i try to launch at 2500rpm, this video gives you an idea of how you have to do it.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, never get into water and always spin rocks off. The DCT is awesome but frustrating to get a launch.

Walk me through the launch? What steps do you do, order? How can u get a launch at 2500? Are you disabling traction control 1 click or a hold?

Is this all 1st gear or 2nd gear.

You have this dialed in, glad you can help. Appreciate it...
(#7)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Yeah DCT is a pain when it comes to drag racing. just M1, sport and traction 1 click off. Engage launch control like normal, but instead of holding it let off and then around 2500 engage it again and keep tapping it until light goes green then go. You have to make sure not to hit the kickdown button again though when you take off otherwise it will stop you and make you launch at 5k. Takes time to get used too. I still screw it up on a regular basis. Plus its always good to remember if you are just doing time trials the green light doesn't mean anything you can sit there for 10 seconds if you want, just to make sure you get a good launch. Time doesn't start until you cross the line.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

On your 11.9 @ 117 run what octane fuel where you using?

What is the best way to launch with the automatic transmission?
(#9)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry$

that isn't me in the video just one that i found that actually showed how to get a good launch with the DCT
(#10)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
that isn't me in the video just one that i found that actually showed how to get a good launch with the DCT
OK....Have you tried lower than 32 psi on runflats or do they start to cup if you go lower......an tips for the auto?
(#11)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
OK....Have you tried lower than 32 psi on runflats or do they start to cup if you go lower......an tips for the auto?
I haven't, but i'll probably be back at the strip next week and was planning on just dropping them to 30. No issues at 32 though, i could be wrong but i don't think a few passes down the track at a lower pressure is going to hurt too much other then maybe getting too much traction and breaking something lol.

With the DCT just a light foot and getting the launch control down. 1st gear for me all the time. traction is still the biggest issue for me. for some reason whether i have traction 1 click on or everything completely disabled. traction control still butts in and shuts me down most of the time. still working on figuring that out
(#12)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah DCT is a pain when it comes to drag racing. just M1, sport and traction 1 click off. Engage launch control like normal, but instead of holding it let off and then around 2500 engage it again and keep tapping it until light goes green then go. You have to make sure not to hit the kickdown button again though when you take off otherwise it will stop you and make you launch at 5k. Takes time to get used too. I still screw it up on a regular basis. Plus its always good to remember if you are just doing time trials the green light doesn't mean anything you can sit there for 10 seconds if you want, just to make sure you get a good launch. Time doesn't start until you cross the line.
That is great stuff!

I was practicing today after i put in my G5. Huge difference all around. I was hooking up at 2800 and had light spin but WOW so much better than 5K.

thanks so much.

The G5 is much better BTW. stronger pull and no DCT issues with power on down shifts.
(#13)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
That is great stuff!

I was practicing today after i put in my G5. Huge difference all around. I was hooking up at 2800 and had light spin but WOW so much better than 5K.

thanks so much.

The G5 is much better BTW. stronger pull and no DCT issues with power on down shifts.
Good to hear. Also if you have the JB4 interface and USB cable make sure to set it to the G5 ISO/335IS setting as well you can try putting future use B to 5 under user adjustments when you have the iso20D.hex worked miracles on my car dealing with the DCT.
(#14)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. Also if you have the JB4 interface and USB cable make sure to set it to the G5 ISO/335IS setting as well you can try putting future use B to 5 under user adjustments when you have the iso20D.hex worked miracles on my car dealing with the DCT.
YES! 20D is a nice improvment. I set the firm ware to 20D and Future use = 5
What is the whole Diode cutting thing I saw?

I got the G5 in Feb, but just put it in tonight, with an ISO flash so I am guessing already cut?
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Need to log those track runs especially if its running slower than expected! Without a log we have no way of knowing whats going on. But launching the DCT does take some practice.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
YES! 20D is a nice improvment. I set the firm ware to 20D and Future use = 5
What is the whole Diode cutting thing I saw?

I got the G5 in Feb, but just put it in tonight, with an ISO flash so I am guessing already cut?
Its prob an integrated board and you probably need to cut the diodes to run ISO.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#17)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Its prob an integrated board and you probably need to cut the diodes to run ISO.
Hi Terry.

Ran it tonight and it was pretty awesome. I bought the G5 after you recomended it to deal with my DCT.

Will it not run well without Diodes cut?
(#18)
Old

Default 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Need to log those track runs especially if its running slower than expected! Without a log we have no way of knowing whats going on. But launching the DCT does take some practice.
Clearly a launch issue. Car was great once i hooked up..
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Terry.

Ran it tonight and it was pretty awesome. I bought the G5 after you recomended it to deal with my DCT.

Will it not run well without Diodes cut?
It's possible we did the diodes for you before shipping. I guess do a log and we can check it out.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

That was me. Looks like you got good advice on launching. Tapping kickdown around 2500 rpm quickly and continuously until first light on tree, release brake... (I know quite early, but will give you a good r/t) feather throttle around 30% or so until 2nd usually gives me a 1.8-1.9 60 ft. I haven't gone below 34 psi in fear of rft's buckling in center tread during launch, therefore ruining traction. I'd love to try one night however.

I was using a blend of e85. Right now I'm on a 60% e85/93
(#21)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 05-27-2013, 05:51 AM

i went to the Strip this weekend i was ok with the results not with the start but RFT what can you do

12.4 at 115.7 mph with a 2.1 RT

335is
JB4
Map6
94 Oct
DCI
IC
Meth disabled

FBO+Meth JB4 best trap 119.4
(#22)
Old

Default 05-28-2013, 04:36 AM

Nice time. Were you using Launch control?

GS

2013 335is, Gen 5 ISO, DCI
(#23)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM

Thanks yes I used LC featherd down to about 2300 rpm.

FBO+Meth JB4 best trap 119.4