N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3976)
Old

Car: 2010 bmw 335i
Default Firmware for JB4 questions..... - 02-26-2012, 04:32 AM

I am new here but had a couple of quick questions? What is the new firmware update for the JB5 also do you have to reset the jb4 before installing the new update.

Thanks in advance
(#3977)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The under/over target comes in handy for checking for boost leaks, problems, etc. It's like the in dash gauges +-1psi but good enough for general use.

How do I set this? Speedo 4 and then tach what #?

Last edited by chrisinfla; 02-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: more info
(#3978)
Old

Car: 07' 335 Cpe
Default 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuCcIo
No, it isn't... Go straight to map6 and enjoy!
I was talking about this with Terry today and he said stay in map 2, even if all you are missing is a FMIC.....I even asked if I could do a few runs in map 6...he said no.....

When it comes to his tune I listen to him....
(#3979)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM

lol almost no one should be using map 6.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3980)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
lol almost no one should be using map 6.
OMG, I am been with map6 for a while...but frankly, I feel more torque in map 5 though......

I have DCI, *** and catback but no FMIC or Meth

Is it harmful Terry?

BMW E92 335i: JB4 2/7/12 Map5 // AR design catxxxx ********* // aFe DCIs // Bilstein PSS10 // AP racing front 6 pot with red Caliper // AP Brake Lines + brake oil // BBS RG-R 19' diamond black // Michelin PS2
(#3981)
Old

Car: 335i Tourer 6MT
Default 02-27-2012, 03:47 AM

Hi all,

Where can I get a detailed list of all the current JB4 settings and what they do? Trying to work from old stuff forwards with all the updates it kind of gets lost in the fog!

I want to make the throttle more linear, I could do this with the JB3, but can we with the JB4?

>_335i Tourer 6MT JB4+FBO+Quaife etc

Last edited by doughboy; 02-27-2012 at 06:23 AM..
(#3982)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclariel
OMG, I am been with map6 for a while...but frankly, I feel more torque in map 5 though......

I have DCI, *** and catback but no FMIC or Meth

Is it harmful Terry?
Just stop using it, your timing is def ... Stick to map 5 or if your octane and mods support it, map2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy
Hi all,

Where can I get a detailed list of all the current JB4 settings and what they do? Trying to work from old stuff forwards with all the updates it kind of gets lost in the fog!

I want to make the throttle more linear, I could do this with the JB3, but can we with the JB4?

>_335i Tourer 6MT JB4+FBO+Quaife etc
Check out the first page of this thread.
(#3983)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Is it harmful Terry?
Yes, you could damage your motor running aggressive maps like that not meant for your mods/octane.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3984)
Old

Default 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, you could damage your motor running aggressive maps like that not meant for your mods/octane.
what kind of damage could happen ??
(#3985)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Most likely you'll just get ignition glow and other nasty codes, and nothing bad will actually happen. But you could easily bust a ring land, blow a head gasket, melt a plug. That sort of stuff. Maps have suggested mods and octane requirements for a reason.

Burger Motorsports

(#3986)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6MT
Default 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM

FBO/CPS Map 6 WOOOO!!!!!

(#3987)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 02-27-2012, 10:48 PM

is it better to run jb4 on map 5(i have ***,dci bms,intercooler) to get better gas or to run stage 0 ? (jb4 off) ?
(#3988)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM

During low throttle they will be the same. But if you are accelerating a lot even slowly the map 0 could in theory get better mileage.

Burger Motorsports

(#3989)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Uploaded the new firmware from 2/7 last night. The car seems to run a little smoother at idle. I dont know why, but it just feels better to me. I have my boost gauge set up on fuel, and the oil with the new under/over boost option.

I noticed on the old 9/16 firmware that map 2 in my car was putting me at 15.5-16 psi (93 octane) sometimes as indicated on the in dash fuel gauge. I never got any codes when i scanned the car. This only seemed to happen when it was less than 40 degrees outside. I did some more testing after the 2/7 firmware was uploaded last night, and the in dash oil temp gauge was showing im overboosting by about 1.5 psi. It was less than 40degrees out again. So the new feature def seems to be working....now i wonder why im overboosting and if its safe lol. On another note, the car feels faster than its ever been on map 2.

My mods: jb4 map 2, dci, cpe fmic, ********* *********, er charge pipe, awe bov's.

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.

Last edited by Stucks; 02-28-2012 at 07:53 AM..
(#3990)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Just stop using it, your timing is def ... Stick to map 5 or if your octane and mods support it, map2.

Check out the first page of this thread.
ok. Have switched back to map5 since my last post. Any reason that I feel more power on map 5 than map2? Should map 5 be more aggressive than 2? Tks

BMW E92 335i: JB4 2/7/12 Map5 // AR design catxxxx ********* // aFe DCIs // Bilstein PSS10 // AP racing front 6 pot with red Caliper // AP Brake Lines + brake oil // BBS RG-R 19' diamond black // Michelin PS2
(#3991)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM

guys i need to know how to set over/under boost target,what speedo what tach?
(#3992)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazoz
guys i need to know how to set over/under boost target,what speedo what tach?
I finally figured this out, it replaces the egt on fuel setting, Speedo 2, Tach 4.
(#3993)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinfla
I finally figured this out, it replaces the egt on fuel setting, Speedo 2, Tach 4.
thnx alot
(#3994)
Old

Car: 135i, 944T, M3, MRoad, Miata
Default 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
ok. Have switched back to map5 since my last post. Any reason that I feel more power on map 5 than map2? Should map 5 be more aggressive than 2? Tks
If I had to guess i think it would be because its pulling some timing in map 2.
(#3995)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzman
If I had to guess i think it would be because its pulling some timing in map 2.
Very plausible

I saw map 5 making more torque whereas map 2 produced more HP.
I don't know why though. That was with the old firmware. Map 5 really vary with lots of factors like temperature, humidity, altitude, ...
Sometime the car felt stronger with map 1 than 5. I think the map 5 on the new firmware has been greatly improved.

So maybe the butt dyno felt the torque of map 5 when he first punched it.
But map 2 produced more HP, but HP is harder to "feel" imho.
Only speculation here
(#3996)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinfla
Did Terry forget to update the spreadsheet on the first page?
I also don't see the map 8 available on the sheet. Is it included in the new firmware or is it still beta?
(#3997)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM

We will have to update the sheet once 2/7 leaves BETA.

Burger Motorsports

(#3998)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Default 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity
Is it published somewhere all FutureuseD?

Can use several FutureuseD?

That is, first to 99 and after to 100, doesn´t disable the previous?
i waiting..................

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#3999)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default 02-28-2012, 02:19 PM

can someone elaborate more on this?

" Added a "rattle fix" option. To enable set FutureUseD=99. If rattle is not reduced then you require mechanical adjustment or replacement of the wastegate assemblies."

I have a that annoying rattle wastegate problem.
(#4000)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujelly
can someone elaborate more on this?

" Added a "rattle fix" option. To enable set FutureUseD=99. If rattle is not reduced then you require mechanical adjustment or replacement of the wastegate assemblies."

I have a that annoying rattle wastegate problem.
IIRC, It closes the wastegates when you let off the throttle so that they dont make the rattle sound upon deceleration or upon the rpms dropping back down to idle.

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.