N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 F10 535MSport
Default JB4 No Longer controls Boost - 07-15-2019, 05:05 PM

I have a 2011 F10 535

I Installed the JB4 about a year ago. Worked great until recently.

Now with the JB4 installed in Map 0, Map 1, or Map 4, I get NO BOOST whatsoever. Logs attached.

When I completely disconnect the JB4 the boost works perfectly.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-07-14 19_16_40_Map-4.csv (6.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: csv 2019-07-14 19_16_07_Map-1.csv (4.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: csv 2019-07-14 19_15_23_Map-1.csv (5.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: csv 2019-07-14 19_14_40_Map-4.csv (2.6 KB, 46 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM

No codes?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Not this time.

Before I disconnected the JB4 it would usually give me a low boost code.

I was having some random drivetrain and other codes both with the JB4 and without. It turned out I had a bad battery. Replaced the battery and all the random codes went away.

Before I reconnected the JB4, with the new battery the boost works and I have not had any codes for over 1500 miles.

When I reinstalled the JB4 this weekend, it still wouldn't give any boost but it didn't give any codes either.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM

Solenoid wire or pin might be loose.

Check that out.

If that's fine, take a photo of your board so I can check it out.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM

I will check it out this weekend and let you know/send pictures.

Thanks.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2012 n55 135i
Default 07-29-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccochrane
I will check it out this weekend and let you know/send pictures.

Thanks.
Any word on this? I have a similar situation.

2012 135i Mods: air scoops, CP, BMS filter, PS1, N20 TMAP, ADE FMIC, BMW PE, JB4, 1M front body, full M3 suspension
Owned so far: 88 M3 x 2, 95 325is, 95 M3 x 2, 06 Mini Cooper S, 08 335 xi, 09 Z4 35i, 01 M3, 12 135i
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-29-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb
Any word on this? I have a similar situation.
Feel free to create thread / throw up some logs too.

Are you getting codes?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#8)
Old

Car: 2012 n55 135i
Default 07-30-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Feel free to create thread / throw up some logs too.

Are you getting codes?
I have my own thread that I started in January 2019. I'm just looking for others' experiences and solutions because I'm still chasing an intermittent no boost problem.

January: brand new board, latest PWG N55 version
Last week: sourced a new/used JB4 harness (didn't help any)
Yesterday: ordered a new boost solenoid (to replaced the brand new one I put in 8/18).

If that doesn't help I'll check the vacuum on the line to WG. If that seems OK then pull the JB4. If boost returns then sell JB4.

2012 135i Mods: air scoops, CP, BMS filter, PS1, N20 TMAP, ADE FMIC, BMW PE, JB4, 1M front body, full M3 suspension
Owned so far: 88 M3 x 2, 95 325is, 95 M3 x 2, 06 Mini Cooper S, 08 335 xi, 09 Z4 35i, 01 M3, 12 135i
(#9)
Old

Default Pics of Board - 08-06-2019, 04:24 PM

I got the board out and inspected it. I can't see any damage at all.

Attached are pictures.

What do you suggest now?
Attached Images

(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Why is the diode cut? It should be attached for F chassis integrated firmware.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 08-07-2019, 06:17 AM

The diode is cut because when I installed it on my 2011 F10 535 last year without the diode cut it didn't work. I installed it that way because the online instructions were not completely clear about my car. Though they did have instructions calling for the diode to be cut in some situations.

I got spikes of psi higher than the correct target and random errors and problems.

When I communicated with BMS about the problems and sent logs and pictures of the install, I was informed that the diode MUST be cut for it to work properly on my car.

Once I cut the diode as I was told and shown in pictures, it worked as advertised for almost a year.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The diode is cut because when I installed it on my 2011 F10 535 last year without the diode cut it didn't work. I installed it that way because the online instructions were not completely clear about my car. Though they did have instructions calling for the diode to be cut in some situations.

I got spikes of psi higher than the correct target and random errors and problems.

When I communicated with BMS about the problems and sent logs and pictures of the install, I was informed that the diode MUST be cut for it to work properly on my car.

Once I cut the diode as I was told and shown in pictures, it worked as advertised for almost a year.
You probably had ISO firmware loaded then, with the diode cut you'd have to run ISO firmware. But I'd suggest resolding it so you can run the current integrated firmware. We migrated N55s away from ISO.

F Chassis N55 PWG ISO Firmware and Details - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 08-08-2019, 07:54 AM

The problem is that IT DOESN'T WORK with the ISO software anymore.

As I stated when I started this thread when I have the JB4 installed on the car I get ZERO boost on any map.

When I remove the JB4 the boost performs flawlessly.

It was installed correctly and was working. Then it stopped working.

Removed and the car worked.

Put it back on the boost disappeared.
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The problem is that IT DOESN'T WORK with the ISO software anymore.

As I stated when I started this thread when I have the JB4 installed on the car I get ZERO boost on any map.

When I remove the JB4 the boost performs flawlessly.

It was installed correctly and was working. Then it stopped working.

Removed and the car worked.

Put it back on the boost disappeared.
The logs you posted are on the WRONG FIRMWARE for an ISO board...

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 08-10-2019, 08:33 AM

The problem started when I had the correct firmware.

I updated the firmware trying to solve the problem. It didn't.

I used the "revert to previous firmware" function in your JB4 app and those are the logs I sent you.

I went out and reinstalled the system to go back to the correct firmware but it is no longer available.

So I uninstalled it again so that the car will work.

I assume that I now have to resolder the cut diode in order to use the latest ISO firmware?

All i have to do is correctly resolder the diode and it will work?
(#16)
Old

Default 08-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Correction:

If I solder the diode I can use the new firmware. Not the old ISO firmware. Correct?
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Right!! Resolder, load new PWG v13 firmware, post a new log here and I'll help you sort it from there.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 08-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Got the diode resoldered. Installed unit.

Did several pulls on map 4 and then on map 1.

I HAVE BOOST!!!!!!!!!

It surges a bit, but if memory serves that will smooth out some over time?

The boost seems much more stable than it was in the beginning with the diode cut on the ISO firmware. Meaning, it doesn't spike/drop/recover as much as I remember.

One thing I noticed - the Target boost does not seem to run where it should be.

JB4 is holding boost roughly +4 over ECU and the numbers seem correct, but the target boost number makes no sense.
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-15-2019, 09:51 PM

This looks solid to me.

What fuel?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#20)
Old

Default 08-16-2019, 04:58 AM

93Octane
(#21)
Old

Default 08-16-2019, 04:59 AM

Any idea why the "Target Boost" no longer works on the new firmware?