N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: guess...
Default Turbo upgrade info: car/time/cost - 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm currently having my PS2 installed on my '12 335Xi at a local, well known shop. Because I've known one of the guys since high scool, I figured I'd get treated fair at least. They've already spent 19 hours installing it and they're still 'putting things back together'. They're shop rate is $110/hr. We're pushing over $2K to install, plus fluids and missing materials(I brought the turbo and install kit with me). I'm at a level of frustration and disappointment with the situation that I'm turning to the only people that could understand what I'm going through. I'm curious how it went for you guys. What car do you have, how long did it take you(or the shop) to install you factory housing turbo and what was the out the door cost in the end. Simply put:

Car:
Shop Time Overall:
Out the Door Cost:

I'm just dumbfounded how a reputable shop and mechanic could take this long. I remember swapping turbos on my '08 N54 a few years ago. I did it blind, upside-down on the garage floor and with no instructions. It took me 16 honest hours to do both from engine off to engine start. It's too late to turn back now. All I can really do is leave an accurate review afterwards, letting others know what to expect. BTW, they didn't give an estimate, prior to working but I 'assumed' since we were friend, I wouldn't get raped so bad. That's my stupid mistake: believing in good-hearted mechanic friends.
(#2)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 02-15-2019, 12:25 PM

You may want to consider a different shop for the future. 19 hours seems excessive. It can be done in 6-8 hours by an experienced tech. Maybe add a few hours of buffer if it's their first BMW turbo swap.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM

I will say that the Xi AWD models are more difficult/time consuming, but 19 hours and still not done does seem a bit much.

Like PURE stated, if this is their first BMW turbo job, it's probably taking them longer and they're likely to not want to touch one again.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#4)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Ah, missed the Xi part. So ya that adds a few hours as well. Thanks
(#5)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM

I installed mine myself 2011 e92 335i. I didn't have all the proper tools and didn't know what all needed to be removed. It took me way too long to install the first time (28 hours). When I removed the turbo and swapped a stock on back on it was about a 9 hour job for me on ramps. You shouldn't have to pay for the shops incompetence. I would argue that they need to reach out to other shops that have done the install or even pure for a quote on labor time.

At dealerships the customer gets charged the time the book says it take the mechanic to complete the job. If they do the job faster the customer still gets changed that rate. If the mechanic takes longer the shop loses that time they could have been working on something else.

I wouldn't pay more than 12 hours and any parts needed for the job. I also would have asked for a quote for the job beforehand.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66
Sold

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.75 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.55 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | JB4 ISO | N20 TMAP | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | BMS Methanol Injection |
(#6)
Old

Default 02-15-2019, 06:05 PM

So after waiting three full days, Uber was taking me to the shop for pickup(finally!). On the way, I got an email saying that the tech wants to push it out until Monday because he spent 4 hours on two fittings and he's exhausted. He still needs to put the intercooler, piping, front end and suspension back on. If everything is good after that, then I can get my car back. I'm speechless... This has now turned into a 30+ hours install? I need a drink...
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 02-16-2019, 12:29 AM

Not familiar with the Xi setup but that sounds far too long.

I took mine to an Indy who has a wealth of experience working on BMWs including replacing turbos and other mods. Dropped it in at 8.30am and was driving it home at 5.00pm.

Total cost was a shade over 500 for everything. It's also a little harder on mine than some others as I'm in the UK with a RHD so the position of the steering column is a PITA as it's very close to the turbo out and D/P.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

Last edited by keyap; 02-16-2019 at 08:18 AM..
(#8)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 435i xdrive
Default 02-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Kiess Motorsports youtube channel goes through the process of installing a Pure Stage2 on his 335ix. Watched it since I am looking to do it on my 435ix this year.
While it is time consuming and requires supporting the engine to pull the one motor mount. He is not removing as much stuff as it sounds like your shop is removing.
After watching it I don't think there is a reason a competent shop would take as long as yours has.
Just my opinion based on no actual experience.
I may end up using a shop to perform mine. Guess I will see how it goes.
(#9)
Old

Default 02-16-2019, 01:48 PM

I know right!?!? I saw(and memorized) the Kiess Motorsports install videos too. I actually forwarded them along with all the install instructions and PDF's I could find online to the sales rep to give to the tech. After several emails, he and I came to a reasonable total cost. $2600 out the door. That's all labor, fluids, extra parts, etc. It's not at all what I expected to pay but far better than what I was going to pay. I also suspect this is the last turbo install this shop ever quotes.
(#10)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM

They should go by the book rate for a turbo replacement. Also, for the shop to not set hours/cost beforehand for this is a red flag to me. Just because they don't know how to do it doesn't mean they should charge more than a dealer...
(#11)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM

So I finally got my car back from the shop. After paying the agreed cost, i was taken back to the shop area where they were just finishing up(bleeding coolant system, checking for leaks, etc). After initial start and a short victory dance, I carefully traveled home; watching, listening and smelling for any oddities.
During the drive I noticed the car was smoking a little just from the exhaust. Barely noticeable but there. The car has 68k miles so it's pretty fresh. The only new component is the turbo. Maybe it's just 'that new exhaust smell' that comes with any heavy engine work; possibly from greasy hand prints, parts cleaner residue, etc. I'm cautiously cruising around to work and back, letting things settle for a few hundred miles.
Has anyone else noticed a little smoke coming from their new turbo(s)?

EDIT: Emailed Pure regarding seeing a little smoke in the exhaust during initial test drive. They said:

No break in required for turbos. All internals float on oil so nothing needs to seat or break in. Normal to see smoke in the engine bay and a little in exhaust after a install.

-Charles
Operations Manager

I guess I'll continue cruising around, running errands, etc. and watch it. If it persists, I'll take it back to the shop for corrections.

Last edited by blackhat75; 02-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: email response received
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335xi
Default 03-03-2019, 07:43 PM

If you don't mind, what did the install wind up costing?

I am looking at this on my my 2007 335xi and am vacillating between doing it myself on my garage floor or sending it to a pro.

-Simpson
(#13)
Old

Default 03-03-2019, 09:28 PM

I paid ~2600 out the door to install the one PS2 on my N55 E92 Xdrive. You may pay more due to having two turbos in there.
If you decide to tackle it yourself, definitely have a good friend there with you. Research the tools you need before hand and try to have everything you'll need at a reach. Get yourself a crawler/roller so you can get in/out from under the car faster. You're gonna be under there a while so get comfortable, stay hydrated and have plenty of carb snacks. Music in the background seems to help...
If you decide to take it to a shop, verify the shop has done this particular install in the recent past and know the process. Once they have your car on their rack, they kind of have you by the nutz. The clock's ticking and you certainly don't want to pay for them to learn how to do it ON YOUR CAR!
Ask Pure, they'll tell you what you can expect, hourly wise to install twins on your 07. I'm guessing an avg. shop would take 12-15 hours(???)
(#14)
Old

Car: X1 35i
Default 03-26-2019, 06:58 PM

Did mine over the weekend first week of March, X84 N55 Xdrive. Took two 8hr days, just the front up on ramps. The ******** was already in so I didn't have to fuss with the ***.
If I did it again soon it could take 12hrs. So a pro shop should do it in 12hrs or less.

2014 X135i JB4, BMS WMI, chargepipe, ***less ****pipe, Pure stage 1 turbo, N20 tmap, xHP stage 3 6AT
(#15)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 03-26-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyvelo
Did mine over the weekend first week of March, X84 N55 Xdrive. Took two 8hr days, just the front up on ramps. The ******** was already in so I didn't have to fuss with the ***.
If I did it again soon it could take 12hrs. So a pro shop should do it in 12hrs or less.
The PS2 would require you to reinstall the kittenless pipe. Normal shop time is around 9 to 12 hours though.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66
Sold

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.75 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.55 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | JB4 ISO | N20 TMAP | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | BMS Methanol Injection |