N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i N55
Default Possible Missing at Idle - 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Recently I installed a JB4 and changed the plugs on my 2013 N55 135i. I used NGK5992 (ordered from burger) gapped to .022.

Current Mods:
JB4 on newest FW
Cobb ***ted Down Pipe
BMS Intake

Since the install, when starting the car and when idling I can feel a slight (sometimes not so slight) jutter. Feels like a light miss. I took a log at idle for review. If anyone can take a look and let me know if they see anything funny that would be great. I'm not confident enough in my mechanical work to say I definitely didn't mess up the plugs somehow, but I'm also thinking it might be the battery.

I'm also getting codes:
2c90

There is a CEL (orange) but I've always had that from my down pipe.I read that I may need to plug in the stock MAP sensor but cant find why so I left it connected to the JB4 for now.

Let me know what you think.

https://tinyurl.com/y4blyhhq

Thanks!

Last edited by ProblemChild; 02-08-2019 at 07:21 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 02-08-2019, 07:22 PM

CSV Attached for reference. Car sitting at idle.
Attached Files
File Type: csv With Timing.csv (41.5 KB, 40 views)
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-09-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemChild
Recently I installed a JB4 and changed the plugs on my 2013 N55 135i. I used NGK5992 (ordered from burger) gapped to .022.

Current Mods:
JB4 on newest FW
Cobb ***ted Down Pipe
BMS Intake

Since the install, when starting the car and when idling I can feel a slight (sometimes not so slight) jutter. Feels like a light miss. I took a log at idle for review. If anyone can take a look and let me know if they see anything funny that would be great. I'm not confident enough in my mechanical work to say I definitely didn't mess up the plugs somehow, but I'm also thinking it might be the battery.

I'm also getting codes:
2c90

There is a CEL (orange) but I've always had that from my down pipe.I read that I may need to plug in the stock MAP sensor but cant find why so I left it connected to the JB4 for now.

Let me know what you think.

https://tinyurl.com/y4blyhhq

Thanks!
Descriptions of the codes please

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#4)
Old

Default 02-09-2019, 08:05 AM

Thanks for taking a look. I charged the battery over night and although other things improved (door lock responsiveness, etc.), I think this issue is still present. I was thinking I may replace the NGKs for Bosch OEMs next. I really made sure I got the gapping right but who knows...

3166 - "No Description Found"
2C90 - "Blow-Off valve mechanics -- Ignore, tuner code"
2775 - "Airmass too low -- Possible boost leak"

Edit: Also re-reviewed the logs. Looks like some random throttle dips at idle. Not sure if that's supposed to happen but I think I can hear it in the exhaust when it does. It cuts out for 1/10 of a second.

Last edited by ProblemChild; 02-09-2019 at 08:10 AM..
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking a look. I charged the battery over night and although other things improved (door lock responsiveness, etc.), I think this issue is still present. I was thinking I may replace the NGKs for Bosch OEMs next. I really made sure I got the gapping right but who knows...

3166 - "No Description Found"
2C90 - "Blow-Off valve mechanics -- Ignore, tuner code"
2775 - "Airmass too low -- Possible boost leak"

Edit: Also re-reviewed the logs. Looks like some random throttle dips at idle. Not sure if that's supposed to happen but I think I can hear it in the exhaust when it does. It cuts out for 1/10 of a second.
Cold start can be a bit noisy & erratic.

When you pull your plugs do it b4 you run the car- see if they’re wet with fuel.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#6)
Old

Default 02-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Thanks, but unfortunately I have to drive to the garage. I'll let it cool for a few hours but not more than 2. I ordered a set of Bosch plugs to replace the NGKs next weekend. Once I get this hammered out I'm going to pick up one of your meth port injection kits. Thanks again.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but unfortunately I have to drive to the garage. I'll let it cool for a few hours but not more than 2. I ordered a set of Bosch plugs to replace the NGKs next weekend. Once I get this hammered out I'm going to pick up one of your meth port injection kits. Thanks again.
keep me posted

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#8)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
keep me posted
So I changed out the spark plugs for the OEM Bosh plugs. The idle has evened out a bit. The slight cuts I was hearing just after startup are completely gone. The only gremlin I'm chasing now is a slight shake at idle. Whether the car is warm or cold, idle isn't as smooth as I think it should be.

I took two logs this morning and attached them both. One should be a bit better than the other, on one of them I hit a bump somewhere around 6k RPM. Let me know what you think, thanks!

If everything looks safe, can I bump up to map 2 with a Cobb catted ********, cp, and bms intake only? Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019_02_19 09-08-8.csv (12.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: csv 2019_02_19 09-14-35.csv (8.6 KB, 41 views)
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 02-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Try swopping the intake back to stock and check there's no leaks post MAF sensor.

Nothing to worry about if its the intake so the BMS unit can go back on but at least it may give you the cause.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#10)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
Try swopping the intake back to stock and check there's no leaks post MAF sensor.

Nothing to worry about if its the intake so the BMS unit can go back on but at least it may give you the cause.
I figured that may be it. I've noticed a lot of the higher HP guys are using the stock airbox with an aftermarket filter. I'm going to order a filter and give that setup a try. Thanks for the response!

Last edited by ProblemChild; 02-19-2019 at 09:08 AM..