N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default Burger tuning won't give me obsoleted G4 board firmware - 07-09-2019, 03:54 PM

So god forbid u lose the .hex file for the G4 board .. I am only DCI and the JB4 tune on my 335i so I don't need the benefits for the upgraded board or software ..

Feels like I am being held hostage here - 'buy a new board or remove it' -- what kind of answer is that . I am sure someone has the old .hex files somewhere on a server

When will support end for the G5 boards?

Customer service is paramount to success .. and this is not good customer service.. what's it hurt to send the .hex in an email cant say Id ever buy anything from BMS again with support like this.

Ill let the email thread below speak for itself here .

Really Bull**** answer ,,,

Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:03 PM
To: Mike Fricker <mikefricker@att.net>
Cc: support@burgertuning.com
Subject: Re: G4 hex fles

Remove until you can update to a G5 board, the G4 has not been supported since 2011.

Best,
T

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 6:11 PM Mike Fricker <mikefricker@att.net> wrote:
Morning,

New laptop and I lost all my hex updates for my jb4 g4 board

Searched and searched and cannot find anywhere to download it from .. can only find the g5 updates.

Looking for the last g4 firmware update to get the unit up again.

I know its an older board but is still better than nothing right now.

Let me know if you have a link or can e-mail it to me.

Thanks

-Mike-

2007' 335i - JB4
1968 C3 Corvette - 468 Cu in
1979 Z28 - 355 Cu in
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-10-2019, 06:52 AM

Good morning N54 chambr .

I was very surprised to read your comments and would like to express my opinion on BMW support.

I totally understand your frustration with not being sent the hex.file for the g4.

I think Terry maybe just inadvertantly expressed himself in a way that made you feel he did not try to help in some way.

Perhaps if he would have stated that the hex files for g4 where no longer in his files for some reason.

I personally believe BMS has the best costumer support. They always answer my questions within minutes, and have always been very helpful.

I have been there customer for about 7 years and they have always been the best. I mean like helpful in every way.

I live in Mexico and on one occasion the Mexican courier delivery Mexpost lost my shipment order and Terry sent another order for free via Fed Ex.
I mean you can't get any better than that.

I am sure if Terry had the file available, he would direct you to the post where you could download it or he would have sent it to you inmediately.

But thats just my opinion.

Best.

Dr Cardenas
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 07-10-2019, 08:13 AM

I've also had great experiences with BMS. It's been public knowledge that the JB4 G4 has been obsolete for many years. It hasn't been sold or supported for a long time. If they don't deem it worth selling anymore, it's probably for good reason.

From someone who has made the switch from an old old old JB4 board to the G5 version, it's really worth the upgrade. Many new features, safeties, etc. If you're serious enough about your car to inquire about the G4, it's worth just getting the G5. Maybe you can convince Terry to discount it for trading in/upgrading the old G4. I know they had a program for that at one point.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#4)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-10-2019, 08:32 AM

I'll dig through my old BMW files when I get home, I probably have an old G4 file saved somewhere.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Hi Mike,

Sorry you're not happy with our response but that doesn't change the fact that the G4 system was obsoleted many many years ago. Even if you found the firmware somewhere (we don't have copies here) the interface won't let you load it because it's so old.

The good news is for customers in your situation we provide a discounted G5 control board that lets you update to the latest system for only $175: https://burgertuning.com/products/re...=2580727595032

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E92 335i
Default 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Upgrading to a G5 is a no brainer!! Especially for $175.

Anyone still using a cell phone from 2011?... didn't think so.

2007 335i E92 6MT FBO, Stock Turbos
(#7)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 07-12-2019, 09:32 PM

I mean really, 2011? And you still want them to support it? In the case of electronics, you’ll usually get support for 3-5 years after it was replaced. We’re talking 8 years here. Replace the board or do without. Do you think Apple or Microsoft will sell you 8 year old software? Of course not. Neither will Intel, as I’m finding out trying to find old drivers.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 Kenne Bell F150 Lightning - FOR SALE
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#8)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
I mean really, 2011? And you still want them to support it? In the case of electronics, youll usually get support for 3-5 years after it was replaced. Were talking 8 years here. Replace the board or do without. Do you think Apple or Microsoft will sell you 8 year old software? Of course not. Neither will Intel, as Im finding out trying to find old drivers.
Lol !
(#9)
Old

Car: e90 08 bmw 335
Default 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Actually I’m using a cell phone from before 2011 and I’m in the same situation bought new almost 9 years ago and have used it on 3 of my 335 i never realized there would be a time stamp on it but hey is what it is if u have owned a n54 for more than a month u know u got to pay to play