N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i x-drive n55 2011
Default diverter valve leak - 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM

hey guys when i do 3rd geat pulls my wdgc goes up to 99 past 5.5k rpm and drops boost by 5 psi...

i have a pure stage 2 turbo so.its not normal !

did a pressure test but there was no leak !
then changed boost solenoid but still the same problem

next step is to change the dv ?

i have the dv+ for a few months now....possible its leaking already ?

335i x-drive 2011 e90 n55

ER chargepipe | performance line d.p | 90/10 bms meth kit | K&N drop in | JB4 + MHD pump flash | xhp stage 3 flash | PURE STAGE 2 turbo
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 01-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Really doubt a new DV+ would be leaking already. What intake do you have? Could the silicone coupler be collapsing?
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM

Do you have any logs?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: Bmw 535i - 2011
Default 01-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weehe
Really doubt a new DV+ would be leaking already. What intake do you have? Could the silicone coupler be collapsing?
I see that this coupler is a common problem know.. but how dose it happen ?

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG 8AT | "Pureboost.de Tune" + MHD Flasher | xHP Stage 3 transmission Tune | N20 3.5bar TMAP Sensor | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | GFB DV+ | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | 93 Octane Fuel | BMS Intake | ER 4" CLess D/Pipe | ER 3" Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | Custom Turbo Inlet Pipe | https://i.imgur.com/iR4wm3I.jpg |
(#5)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaqasRiyami
I see that this coupler is a common problem know.. but how dose it happen ?
The vacuum in the intake when at high boost collapses the coupler. This is normally more prevalent when port injection is involved and the stock intake since it stretches the coupler.
(#6)
Old

Car: guess...
Default 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM

I think DV's go bad more often than we here/see. I just swapped mine with another one and it works much better.
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

It's been a few years since I did mine but, from memory, the DV+ has the option for different spring configurations, which may give different results.

Good look if you try to change with it on the car. The bolt at the back is a PITA!

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#8)
Old

Car: 2012 335xi coupe (e92 N55)
Default 02-21-2019, 05:03 PM

I am thinking my DV has gone out as well, though it could be the throttle body as well. just wanted to see if you guys might know better then me. If you want to know the history that lead to this I can give you that, but for now here is a graph and the codes I get. The graph is when I had the car set on cruise control going down a highway, and that small boost 3/4 the way down was me going up a hill.
With what happened before everyone blames the JB4 but I don't want to believe that.
Attached Images

Last edited by PT's_vengeance; 02-21-2019 at 05:11 PM..
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-22-2019, 01:29 AM

The codes starting 38 relate to an issue with the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) - usually when there's no signal. The 36c9 is a fuelling issue which can be triggered by a number of reasons. It usually is seen when fuelling requested is outside what can be delivered.

Re the DV, a list of mods and a wot log in 3rd from 2500 to red line would be good. If this shows wgdc at max with boost below target at a level you should be able to achieve, it could be the DV if all other 'leak' options have been eliminated.

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

Last edited by keyap; 02-22-2019 at 01:37 AM..
(#10)
Old

Car: F25
Default 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours
hey guys when i do 3rd geat pulls my wdgc goes up to 99 past 5.5k rpm and drops boost by 5 psi...

i have a pure stage 2 turbo so.its not normal !

did a pressure test but there was no leak !
then changed boost solenoid but still the same problem

next step is to change the dv ?

i have the dv+ for a few months now....possible its leaking already ?
Post some of those 3rd gear logs for us to look at.

It's unlikely that the DV+ is leaking. According to this article, it basically can't leak under boost, because it operates differently than the stock DV. Basically, any boost pressure will hold it shut, even without the solenoid operating: https://blog.ecstuning.com/2017/08/2...-instructions/

That said, I've seen several other people mention the same boost issue above 5,500 RPM on PWG N55s. I think they were all xDrive, too. This fella here seems like he might have the same issue: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56903

Do a boost leak test again. Make sure you wedge the throttle plate open temporarily with something to adequately test for leaks behind the throttle, such as manifold seals. Don't forget to remove your oil cap, so as not to blow out the crankshaft seals.

F25 X3 35i M Sport | Pure Stage 2 turbo + inlet | UR de-catted thingy | VRSF Race IC | FTP full thingies | BM3 PTF tuned | XDI-35 HPFP | Stage 2 LPFP | Ethanol mixed | WMI | Oil cooler | xHP | 50iX brakes
(#11)
Old

Car: 11 135i
Default 02-22-2019, 01:33 PM

This may be of ni help at all but I thought my DV+ was leaking, swapped my boost solenoid and fixed the issue.

2011 135i Dct coupe Alpine white n blacked out.
VTT DBB,Pure Inlet, JB4,GFB DV+,MHD,Fuel-it Platinum PI with Cm 5 - 50:50 Meth, E85, N20 tmap, Fuel It S2 lpfp, KB Boost A Spark, BMS IC /CP / IT / OCC, SG Boost Pipe, Quaife LSD, Federal RS-RR,M4 Flywheel, SSP R spec clutches, Kw V3 & Pro rolled guards, AR CL **, Bmw PE. Custom mi**ipe kitties. 1000wrms custom audio.
(#12)
Old

Default 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
The codes starting 38 relate to an issue with the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) - usually when there's no signal. The 36c9 is a fuelling issue which can be triggered by a number of reasons. It usually is seen when fuelling requested is outside what can be delivered.

Re the DV, a list of mods and a wot log in 3rd from 2500 to red line would be good. If this shows wgdc at max with boost below target at a level you should be able to achieve, it could be the DV if all other 'leak' options have been eliminated.
thanks, I was thinking the 36c9 was because of a misfire, as that seems to be the reason I get an indication majority of the time. I guess I also failed to say that I randomly get turbo surge (flutter) which is again why I think it is a DV or throttle issue. Mods that I have that have anything to do with this are BMS: JB4, intake, charge pipe, oil catch can. VRSF: *******-******** Magnaflow: catback (running no cats) honestly, all my issues started when I finally updated the software on the JB4 from its original software it had when I purchased it.
I tried doing those 3rd gear pulls but yesterday we got snow so this is all I can give for now.
Attached Images

Last edited by PT's_vengeance; 02-23-2019 at 10:15 AM..
(#13)
Old

Car: 11 135i
Default 02-23-2019, 01:42 PM

I don't know how much help those logs will be at part throttle like that, why is boost miles over target?

2011 135i Dct coupe Alpine white n blacked out.
VTT DBB,Pure Inlet, JB4,GFB DV+,MHD,Fuel-it Platinum PI with Cm 5 - 50:50 Meth, E85, N20 tmap, Fuel It S2 lpfp, KB Boost A Spark, BMS IC /CP / IT / OCC, SG Boost Pipe, Quaife LSD, Federal RS-RR,M4 Flywheel, SSP R spec clutches, Kw V3 & Pro rolled guards, AR CL **, Bmw PE. Custom mi**ipe kitties. 1000wrms custom audio.
(#14)
Old

Default 02-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolz
I don't know how much help those logs will be at part throttle like that, why is boost miles over target?
Yeah, I will try again today when the snow starts melting. Also, I have no idea why boost is so high compared to target, this is running just map one, and like I said, I have been getting these issues when I updated the firmware. I can hear the difference in the car too. When I start the engine the turbo spools up and the car gets really loud, I know that is normal with the car, but it seems a little excessive now.
(#15)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-23-2019, 04:58 PM

How old is the JB4 - iso or pre iso and have you loaded the correct fw?

(#16)
Old

Default 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
How old is the JB4 - iso or pre iso and have you loaded the correct fw?
As far back as I can easily see with out pulling out old records or anything like that, is when I added the Bluetooth connect kit to it. That being July 10 2016. So the JB4 itself is older then that. Not sure if it is ISO or not.... But I just looked at the firmware and it says N55_ISO_5_17_T5.hex so it could be that the JB4 is a pre iso and I have iso software on it.
(#17)
Old

Default 02-26-2019, 06:32 PM

So I did two pulls in 3rd on map 1. The second one I guess I was a little late on pressing record. Before I did these while I was driving around warming up the engine it struggled with low RPMs and I think I got a misfire then I got the CEL again. Adding that too just because...same codes as before.
Attached Images

(#18)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM

You may want to open a new thread in the support section, post the Csvs and screen shots of your JB4 settings - you should get more responses and hopefully get this resolved asap.

(#19)
Old

Default 02-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You may want to open a new thread in the support section, post the Csvs and screen shots of your JB4 settings - you should get more responses and hopefully get this resolved asap.
Okay, will do. Thanks.