N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i DCT 11`
Angry problem after problem with 2011 135i - 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM

I just purchased my 2011 135i DCT from a bmw dealership 2 months ago through auto nation. The car had 63,000 miles when I purchased it. It now has 67,000 miles and the oil filter gasket/oil cooler gasket, oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket, and now the head gasket has failed. As soon I as got the car I installed a jb4, injen intake, vrsf charge pipe, and vrsf ******* ********. I was running the car on map 3 pretty much the whole time with a few fillups of e30 map 5 mix with lots of spirited driving. Luckily I have a warranty through auto nation for 4,000 miles after purchase so after the head gasket gets replaced it will all be on my dime. Am I just unlucky or whats happening here. I don't want to get rid of the car but I don't want any other expensive problems to happen once the warranty is done.

Thanks for your opinions!!
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Head gasket is not a common issue, are you sure? Did water pump break?

Have any JB4 logs to evaluate how the tuning was running?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default problems - 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Its in the shop right now getting the head gasket replaced. the bmw technicians were positive it was the head gasket. The water pump was replaced about 10,000 miles ago so I don't think its that. I never ended up getting a data logging cable which was probably stupid on my part. I had to take off the tune and all mods off before bringing it in for the repair. I will definitely get a data logging cable before I re install the jb4. I also want to get a MHD backend flash.

On a side note. When I installed the jb4 and the mods the car just didn't feel right, never constant, lag of power off the line and even when doing a roll. As soon as I took off the jb4 and all mods it was back to normal and very responsive. Im not sure if it was the injen air intake or the jb4. Maybe it was installed incorrectly or had a bad connection? Im wondering if the MHD flash will help with those problems?
(#4)
Old

Car: 2012 335i 6mt
Default 02-15-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson15
Its in the shop right now getting the head gasket replaced. the bmw technicians were positive it was the head gasket. The water pump was replaced about 10,000 miles ago so I don't think its that. I never ended up getting a data logging cable which was probably stupid on my part. I had to take off the tune and all mods off before bringing it in for the repair. I will definitely get a data logging cable before I re install the jb4. I also want to get a MHD backend flash.

On a side note. When I installed the jb4 and the mods the car just didn't feel right, never constant, lag of power off the line and even when doing a roll. As soon as I took off the jb4 and all mods it was back to normal and very responsive. Im not sure if it was the injen air intake or the jb4. Maybe it was installed incorrectly or had a bad connection? Im wondering if the MHD flash will help with those problems?
i have pretty much the exact same mods as you even the injen intake, when i first installed my jb4 i just did it really quick and used electrical tape and all of that for connections lol. i would have stutters in response and it acted kinda weird so i went through the all the wiring and used solder and heat shrink wrap to be sure i was getting a good connection. ever since then it has ran like a champ! so i would recommend going through and double checking all your wires to make sure they are getting a good strong connection. good luck.

2012 335i Msport E92 6mt M3 gauge cluster, FBO, Jb4 G5 iso w/ff, BMS meth kit, Stg2 LPFP, Fuel-it TBI, 3.5bar, Pure turbo w/ inlet pipe and GFB DV
(#5)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 02-16-2019, 01:26 AM

Jeez, that doesn't sound good.

I've owned mine since almost new and have been running at least 15 psi from early 2012 until late 2014 and from 2015 20 to 25 psi with mods as per signature.

Bar tyres and a broken driveshaft when I was really pushing it, it's needed nothing except what has been completed as part of routine servicing and mods. I do however find that at 20 psi and upwards I need to log and tweak jb4 settings / the BEF regularly to ensure I'm comfortable with how it's running.

Other thing worth noting is that it's only done 30k miles as this is my 3rd car and only used for fun, however, that does mean that whenever it gets driven it is pushed to the limit all of the time. That's therefore 30k very hard miles.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

Last edited by keyap; 02-16-2019 at 02:06 AM..
(#6)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 11:31 PM

UPDATE 2/20/19

Got my car back from the dealership a week ago.
Head gasket and valve cover gasket replaced.
Noticed a wet spot on my driveway this morning when pulling out. Looked under the car and the bottom of the transmission pan is wet just like it was both times before I got the repairs done.
Bringing it in tomorrow afternoon to have it checked out.

THE PROBLEMS NEVER END!!!!
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 02-21-2019, 03:52 AM

At the level you're running, the car should be pretty bullet proof. Once the leak is sorted and whilst still in warranty, I'd be tempted to check logs are OK then thrash the ***** out of it to make sure there's no other potential issues.

Fingers crossed you've just been unlucky with a leak and once sorted all will be OK

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")