N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW X1 28i xDrive
Default N20 JB4 installed... kind of working, need some help - 04-21-2018, 05:36 PM

I recently picked up a used JB4 (N20 EWG) with bluetooth adapter for my 2014 X1.

Today I tired doing a test install with everything just hanging loose to make sure everything was working before doing the permanent installation.

I am able to connect with the mobile app and it allows me to change maps, but I am not getting a reading on any of the gauges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(#2)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 06:56 AM

Now I can't even get the app to connect to it. I guess it's time to remove it and try a fresh re-installation.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM

The X1 requires a special harness and firmware. CANbus attaches in the DME box, not the OBDII port, for example.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Sorry, I'm pretty unknowledgeable about just how the JB4 works.

Do I need the CANbus attachments if I have the bluetooth adapter. If so, is it possible to order the necessary harness?

I am assuming I can just download the X1 specific firmware...

Thanks!
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-22-2018, 11:19 AM

IMHO better off selling that one and buying the right one for the X1.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Does the bluetooth adapter work with the X1 version?

I would definitely prefer that interface.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-22-2018, 03:28 PM

Yes, it's compatible.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Terry, I've picked up the correct JB4 for my X1. From what I have seen it gets connected somewhat differently than the other N20 versions, so is there a set of installation instructions available (I'm not seeing anything online)? Thanks
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Same as E series N55 JB4.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 05-01-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks
(#11)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 07:13 AM

Trying to install my JB4 this morning and I am having difficulty finding the boost solenoid connection. I think I'm looking in the correct spot (see attached picture).

Thanks!
Attached Images

(#12)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 08:47 AM

OK, looked at the youtube video for the stage 1 and it looks like I do not use this connection since I have an EWG.

If that's incorrect let me know, but otherwise I'll proceed as if this is the case.
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-06-2018, 09:28 AM

You are EWG so don't have a solenoid to connect to.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 10:12 AM

I've got everything connected up but I am not getting a bluetooth connection with my adapter.

I've checked the tap and I've got good voltage and if I go into my bluetooth settings on my phone while trying to connect with the app I can see the device briefly show up as connected. The connection drops after I get the "error getting handshake..." message.
(#15)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Should I be able to also use the dash method to set things? I've tried hold the BC button and get nothing.

I think I'll re-clean and connect the canbus connections as I can't really think of anything else.
(#16)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Don't know if this means anything, but everytime I try to connect with the app both turn signal arrows flash. The stop with the error message.
(#17)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM

Figured it out... the App was set to Rev2. Changed it to Rev 3 and connected eight away
(#18)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM

New issue that I figured I'd add to my original thread before creating a new one.

My map setting keeps getting reset to Map 4 from Map 1. Car is a stock E84 X1 with the N20.

Any suggestions on what I need to do or look for. Frankly the JB4 is worthless to me if it won't hold the map setting.

Kind of need to figure this out before I sell my Dinan Sport Tuner, because if I can't get this resolved I'll go back to it.
(#19)
Old

Default 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM

Here is a log that I saved where the mapping changed. I have no idea what to look for in this, but clearly the AFR drops can't be normal.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-26 13_55_44.csv (67.8 KB, 99 views)