N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Kia 3.5L JB4 Development - 07-18-2021, 02:25 PM

Hey guys,

Was finally able to get a 3.5T to swing by the office for a few hours this weekend so we could get going on development. This specific car was a Genesis GV70 but we believe (hope!) all other 3.5T applications will be more or less identical. If anyone has a 3.5T out there and could verify the sensor locations and that each sensor is a 3 position (3 wires going to it) that would be helpful.

We were able to get basic boost control up and running, which turned out a lot trickier than we expected. Actually good news, it means our competition likely won't be able to figure it out for some time to come. But we do not have CANbus up and running yet. For those who have purchased the BETA system we'll start shipping them next week and once sorted the CANbus will be enabled via a free firmware update. Similar to what we did when we first released the Stinger JB4.

We were hoping to do some dyno work but the customer came quite a distance to visit us and we just ran out of time in the day. Hopefully next time.

The 3.5T uses the Kia JB4 v4 harness variant here: https://burgertuning.com/products/jb...40399576760494
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 18 Passat
Default 08-04-2021, 06:01 PM

Terry I have a GV70 with the 3.5T and confirm mine is the same.

Curious when you think the CANBus will be up and running, I'd like to order a JB4 soon! Anything I can do to help with the 3.5T for you guys?
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-05-2021, 11:42 AM

No way of knowing on that. Need to get another GV70 in the office for a few hours to sort it out. If anyone has one and is able to swing by just email me!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: Genesis GV70
Default 08-05-2021, 01:23 PM

I'll help out anyway I can. I should hit the dyno next week so I will share the stock results here. Thanks.

Looking at the service schematics it looks like all 3.5t models are 3 wire for those sensors. G80 appears to be slightly different in orientation based on the harness layout schematic. GV80 and GV70 seem to be very similar.

Last edited by 12gage; 08-08-2021 at 08:12 AM..
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2021, 12:12 PM

Good news, got CANbus up and running! Firmware is posted under platform 35 in the app. Could use a few logs.

Also added a few new photos to the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#6)
Old

Car: 2019 GLC300 4MATIC Coupe
Default 08-08-2021, 02:04 PM

Awesome. thanks Terry. I ordered mine this morning. I know it's still early, but do we know if 3.5tt needs the plug change like the 3.3? Would you recommend switching out for the Densos?
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2021, 02:30 PM

So far factory plugs have been fine, but it's obviously an evolving situation. We'll need to see as more customers start to crank up boost now that CANbus is active.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: Genesis GV70
Default 08-08-2021, 02:56 PM

Thanks Terry. Awesome work. I'll be ordering this week. Quick question, how much boost are we looking with the current maps ?
(#9)
Old

Car: Genesis GV70, Lotus Evora 400, Hummer H3 Alpha, BMW X4M
Default 08-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Terry, Do you have details on the various maps and what the difference is between then you could post? Also is there anything in particular to do when logging to give you the best info you need to make adjustments? I’m running start flags now but have your upgrade it for a kit on the way! Got a lot more install pics I can upload as well.

Mine does not show anything as far as gear indication on the app. Is that normal?
(#10)
Old

Car: Genesis GV70 3.5T Sport Prestige
Default 08-12-2021, 06:40 PM

Noticed hitting 16psi boost on Map2 so far and I believe I saw 14psi under Map1. I drove this morning on “sport” mode(if matters) got fuel/boost cutoff under full throttle. Needs some fine tuning.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2019 GLC300 4MATIC Coupe
Default Install problems - 08-15-2021, 06:14 AM

So I attempted to install yesterday. I had JB4 on my GLC so I feel like I have some experience and of course followed the steps. First, the connections in general are really loose and I understand we don't have the right connectors yet. The TMAP connection was a challenge. I used the shrink tube, and maybe I still did not have a solid connection, but I was definitely concerned. Other connections looked good. After going through all the steps and (assuming/hoping) TMAP was still connected.. I got all kinds of errors and could not get the JB4 mobile to connect. Couple more tries to secure connections and same results - so went back to stock. I admit this could all be user error, but again not a total noob.
Here are my questions/observations:
1. CANBUS.. I noticed there was another "connector" plugged into the ODB.. and the JB4 plugs into it. I assume this is right, I have not heard anyone mention it, but I have not had a car with something already connected.
2. Power - I followed steps, open hood, lock doors, etc. But I was getting messges on my app about windows open, etc. and when I closed the hood, the lights flashed. I wonder if the computer did not shut down? I was thinking to disconnect battery? Anyone have this issue?
3. JB4 mobile - I was thinking that even if I had one bad connection (or not) I should be able to connect to app, but no luck.. no connections.

Sorry for the long post, but looking forward to getting my JB4 running, but of course I want to do it right.

2022 Genesis GV70 3.5tt S/P
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLGLC300
Sorry for the long post, but looking forward to getting my JB4 running, but of course I want to do it right.
As it's BETA if you need assistance you're going to have to email in, be sure to include some install photos. terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtorM
Terry, Do you have details on the various maps and what the difference is between then you could post? Also is there anything in particular to do when logging to give you the best info you need to make adjustments? Iím running start flags now but have your upgrade it for a kit on the way! Got a lot more install pics I can upload as well.

Mine does not show anything as far as gear indication on the app. Is that normal?
Gear and some other parameters are not active yet in the logging. Just start with map1, email in a log along with the details on fuel being used, and we'll help you from there. There isn't a general use map guide published yet for the 3.5.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM

Any update on the connectors?

Also, what exactly do y’all need log wise to be able to tweak the maps. Log daily driving activity or pushing it hard or both? I’ll do whatever needed to get some more info to keep this development going!

Also got a bunch of install pics to make a post on some other forums and will post here as well.

I’m running around on Map2 no hiccups so far. Going to get my new plugs I got from y’all installed this week and running the factory plugs for now

Do you happen to have any data from anyone that has an aftermarket or open exhaust yet? About to do that to mine and was curious if map 3 was optimized for exhaust changes.

I’m sure this is just a Genesis thing but one thing I did notice is anytime you changed your outlet it’ll disconnect the Bluetooth connect for my JB4 and have to reconnect
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-08-2021, 03:53 PM

No data needed at this point unless you have some issue you need our help with. No idea on production connectors. Six months maybe? Getting anything automotive made these days is taking months longer than it normally would.

Map1 and map2 have been solid. Map3 is just there for testing purposes. Log it if you want us to check it out for you.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 09-08-2021, 04:17 PM

Thanks a ton Terry. What is the difference with Map3? Higher boost? Are shift points the same on them all?
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-08-2021, 04:27 PM

The JB4 won't change your shift points. Just the power/boost levels. Higher maps run more boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: GV70
Default 09-20-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLGLC300
So I attempted to install yesterday. I had JB4 on my GLC so I feel like I have some experience and of course followed the steps. First, the connections in general are really loose and I understand we don't have the right connectors yet. The TMAP connection was a challenge. I used the shrink tube, and maybe I still did not have a solid connection, but I was definitely concerned. Other connections looked good. After going through all the steps and (assuming/hoping) TMAP was still connected.. I got all kinds of errors and could not get the JB4 mobile to connect. Couple more tries to secure connections and same results - so went back to stock. I admit this could all be user error, but again not a total noob.
Here are my questions/observations:
1. CANBUS.. I noticed there was another "connector" plugged into the ODB.. and the JB4 plugs into it. I assume this is right, I have not heard anyone mention it, but I have not had a car with something already connected.
2. Power - I followed steps, open hood, lock doors, etc. But I was getting messges on my app about windows open, etc. and when I closed the hood, the lights flashed. I wonder if the computer did not shut down? I was thinking to disconnect battery? Anyone have this issue?
3. JB4 mobile - I was thinking that even if I had one bad connection (or not) I should be able to connect to app, but no luck.. no connections.

Did your issue ever get resolved? I seem to have the same issues as you

*** Edit - nevermind im good to go now

Last edited by tfran1521; 09-20-2021 at 03:23 PM..
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-28-2021, 08:49 AM

For newer systems we're putting little orings on that help the connector seal. You can also add them easily.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 10-05-2021, 05:43 PM

Terry, I now have the JB4_P35_KIA_V4_1.hex andJ B4_P35_KIAR4_V4_1b.hex firmware files. Which is the newest one or best to go with?

As soon as I get my exhaust done I will be sending some logs over for you. Thanks!
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-09-2021, 09:03 PM

1b is the latest, but basically the same.

Burger Motorsports