N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 535i No boost - 12-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Ok I did read the sticky and I have been searching online. I am working out of town so I do not have all of my resources at hand. I plan to do a compression test and a smoke test next week).

So here is the background.
08 535i 200k MT. when I got it, it had a lean bank 1 code (engine mal, reduced pwr)
I knew it needed some TLC so. New plugs, coils, 3 injectors on bank 1, walnut blast (probably its first) new injector seals, new valve cover gasket, new intake gaskets, charge pipe w/BOV, new vacuum lines (canister delete), spayed electronics cleaner on the throttle body connection and oil pressure, cleaned the tmap and map sensors.

I am sure I am fogetting something.

Anyways it does not give me a lean anymore, but it is not making any boost.
It also surges when driven above 3000rpm.

I have on order the boost solenoids.

and it gives me this host of codes.

2E1D misfire cylinder 6
29D2 misfire cylinder 6
2F7B oil,pressure sensor (was still unplugged after walnut blast, plugged in now but still comes up)
2CF9 throttle/pedal position sensor A circuit low or high
2CFA throttle/pedal position sensor B circuit low or high
2D09 butterfly,valve
2ABC charging pressure sensor
3100 boost pressue control deactivation
30FF exhaust fume turbocharger low side

I would love to figure this out before I drive it home. Its a nice NA car right now if you stay off heavy throttle lol. Any advice or help is appreciated. I have attached 2 logs from today.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 12-22-19 morning.csv (31.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: csv 12-22-19 evening.csv (68.8 KB, 109 views)

08 535i MT Blk. CP w/BOV, JB4, BEF, DCI, edited things delete, Inlets, 7" FMIC, SP exhaust, X Clutch, poly/delrin shifter bushings, Walbro 525, RB PCV, catch can, VRSF oulets, MMP Gen 1 Stg3, 3.5Tbar, 2 step, FSB WMI
Anti Lag up next.
On Hand: JB4 PI Controller
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 12-23-2019, 12:33 AM

Couple things...

We need to get your settings to default.

0 out your fuel & duty bias
Enter a tmap value accordingly as well

The misfire needs to be addressed on 6

Next, you’ll want to enable your JB4, looks like logs were in 0, and relog map 1

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-23-2019, 06:17 AM

Thanks I picked up this JB4 second hand. what is the value for a stock tmap?

attached is the settings picture
Attached Images
File Type: pdf jb4 settings.pdf (370.5 KB, 112 views)

08 535i MT Blk. CP w/BOV, JB4, BEF, DCI, edited things delete, Inlets, 7" FMIC, SP exhaust, X Clutch, poly/delrin shifter bushings, Walbro 525, RB PCV, catch can, VRSF oulets, MMP Gen 1 Stg3, 3.5Tbar, 2 step, FSB WMI
Anti Lag up next.
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 E60 535i
Default 12-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker396
Thanks I picked up this JB4 second hand. what is the value for a stock tmap?

attached is the settings picture
Stock TMAP setting is 0. It goes up from there but if your using a standard sensor, enter 0.

Regarding the picture of your settings you uploaded. Under the "Future Use A" category, please change your "Cylinder-6 timing logging" value from where you have it at 15 to 4 for an I8AOS ECU which is what you should have in that car (I have the same year). This enables the JB4 to log the timing of all 6 cylinders instead of only cylinder 1 (ignition 1) which is the case with your posted logs.
This will help them address further into the problems your seeing.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#5)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 12-23-2019, 04:39 PM

"for an I8AOS ECU which is what you should have in that car (I have the same year)"

Is '08 not IJEOS (MSD81)?

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#6)
Old

Default 12-23-2019, 05:29 PM

Thanks, making slow but steady progress

Anti Lag up next.
(#7)
Old

Default 12-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckmc
"for an I8AOS ECU which is what you should have in that car (I have the same year)"

Is '08 not IJEOS (MSD81)?
2008 535 models that were built on or after 11/08 are MSD81, prior to November they're MSD80. 135 and 335 may be slightly different though. Hired a tuner yesterday and got this info from him directly.

Thanks

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#8)
Old

Default 12-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks, making slow but steady progress
Sorry, meant on or before 11/07, not 08.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#9)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 11:10 AM

So quick update. I have 1 bad boost solenoid however i tested the vacuum going to the wastegates and get 17in Hg. Yesterday I had to pry on the back flapper valve and some wd40 freed it up but still same situation. No boost.

Previous owner told me this morning he had the turbos repaired last yr. Not sure what that means exactly. Its like pulling teeth with him.

Anti Lag up next.
(#10)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
So quick update. I have 1 bad boost solenoid however i tested the vacuum going to the wastegates and get 17in Hg. Yesterday I had to pry on the back flapper valve and some wd40 freed it up but still same situation. No boost.

Previous owner told me this morning he had the turbos repaired last yr. Not sure what that means exactly. Its like pulling teeth with him.
17in/hg at idle from solenoid to wastegate actuator is about right if your default wastegate position is set to 60. Set it to 100 and your vacuum should jump to about 27-30 in/hg. Set the default position to 10 and it should drop considerably. If that's what your reading than you have a good solenoid. Only perform this test with Watergate rattle fix setting off ( in JB4 options screen, option 7 off) or you'll get false readings at idle.
My wastgate actuator on the rear turbo works fine until it gets up to operational temp then it sticks open. Hi temp lithium grease works for me for a few days, then hangs up again. Mechanical issues like this require a mechanical fix I guess. I've been chasing the issue for too long. Pulling turbos tomorrow morning. Merry Christmas to me, new turbos! (Wifes tired of me throwing **** around in the garage in anger over this car, so she gave in this morning lol)

Good luck.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#11)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:

PS find out where previous owner had the turbos repaired and go there. Good starting point ya?

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#12)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 12:00 PM

I just cuss out the design engineers when working on cars lol. funny I can get wastegate actuators for $30ea but if I going in there it's getting new (and upgraded) turbos.

Since I bought the car over 5 hours away, I'm thinking that is not an option.

If I jump the vac on he actuators I wonder if it might pull them closed.

I have a couple ideas to start isolating the problem, but it requires a warm body to press the gas while I check and everyone is GONE. It is like they have something better to do or somewhere to be???

Anti Lag up next.
(#13)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I just cuss out the design engineers when working on cars lol. funny I can get wastegate actuators for $30ea but if I going in there it's getting new (and upgraded) turbos.

Since I bought the car over 5 hours away, I'm thinking that is not an option.

If I jump the vac on he actuators I wonder if it might pull them closed.

I have a couple ideas to start isolating the problem, but it requires a warm body to press the gas while I check and everyone is GONE. It is like they have something better to do or somewhere to be???
Lol I hear ya. I have ran just one solenoid and it pulls them both closed just fine. The 2nd solenoid is only there in case one fails, doesn't actually add vacuum at all, just more volume, etc.
If you start the car to build vacuum for just a minute and then shut it off, turn ignition back on and depress the gas pedal a couple times you can hear the wastegate flaps opening and closing until you bleed off and expell all the saved vacuum (usually I can do this for about 10 presses off the pedal and then vac is bled of slowly and depleted probably back through the pump as it's not completely sealed or meant to hold vacuum forever). You'll hear a definitive sound of metal on metal taping which is good. You can also change the wastegate default position on the JB4 and hear them open and close without having to press the pedal. If you use Bluetooth for the JB4, it's an invaluable tool as you can do it while watching the wastegate actuator rods move at the same time. I use this wireless option when doing boost leak tests as well. displays boost pressure more accurately than a gauge (tenths, etc.). Not that I don't use regular boost gauges when testing things, but it's a nice feature to make sure the JB4 is reading the same boost as a regular gage at the same time.
One other thing to eliminate/rule out, the vacuum lines. I had what I thought were good lines between the solenoids and the wastegates, didn't leak when I blew into them or pulled vacuum. However, when they would get hot, they would simply collapse under vacuum. Not realizing this, I would get a solid reading, but the vacuum wasn't actually reaching the actuators. I replaced them with hard lines just for a test and it became obvious, needed better vacuum lines. I used HPS brand 9mm high temp silicon lines. about 3$ a foot but at that point I didn't care, was worth 10$ an inch if it fixed my problem. So now I have great vacuum to both actuators, actuators working perfect, wastegate fking bushings now hang up when hot. It never ends.

Worst part about it all. I love to hate this car. Once you have pulled a hard 0-100 acceleration run (on a racetrack, of course), you have to have it over and over again. I think that's the only reason we struggle and bang our heads against this engine is because we know it's capabilities. Getting it right and keeping it there just isn't always as simple as a PCV valve upgrade, or charge pipe O-ring lol.
Same as you though, when my turbos come out tomorrow, come hell or high water, a simple wastegate refresh isn't going to be the only repair. No way, no hell, no nothing. These are getting redone with the best I can afford to buy. It'll probably save my marriage lol.
Lastly. A word to the engineers that decided that two inches of work-space between the firewall, heat shields, etc. and engine/turbos was just too much space to give up. You can literally suck it. At the same time, thanks for giving us all the platform to make easy monstrous power, just don't get your hopes up thinking it will be as easy as 1-2-3. That was my first mistake.....

Good luck. I'll send ya updates if I find anything crazy.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#14)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 05:20 PM

Well my buddy came to see me and I think I found my culprit. put the mityvac on to make sure and at 21-24in Hg revved up with the rear wastegate actuator rod disconnected...It did not move.

Ugh I am liking the RB GF turbos but that would mean waiting til mid to late march at the earliest! (anything less is a compromise). I have been told I have the patience of a rattlesnake so... maybe just maybe I will replace the wastegates (where is the crying emoji) and do this job twice. my labor is free to me its just busted knuckles right?

Anti Lag up next.
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-24-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Well my buddy came to see me and I think I found my culprit. put the mityvac on to make sure and at 21-24in Hg revved up with the rear wastegate actuator rod disconnected...It did not move.

Ugh I am liking the RB GF turbos but that would mean waiting til mid to late march at the earliest! (anything less is a compromise). I have been told I have the patience of a rattlesnake so... maybe just maybe I will replace the wastegates (where is the crying emoji) and do this job twice. my labor is free to me its just busted knuckles right?
Depending on what you are doing for fueling, and your power goals, the RB GF is probably overkill for most, unless a motor build isnít a big deal.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#16)
Old

Default 12-24-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:

So is it just the wastegate actuator that's not working? I guess if it didnt move with vac applied and the rod was unhooked from the flapper than the wastegate itself may be good still right? Just a worn actuator?

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]
(#17)
Old

Default 12-25-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Depending on what you are doing for fueling, and your power goals, the RB GF is probably overkill for most, unless a motor build isnít a big deal.
Now your talking my language

I have been looking at PI, Helix and WMI options I love overkill. 400 to the wheels is just a starting point (I came from the LS world, that's the starting point)

Anti Lag up next.
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Haha, I generally build for headroom.

That being said, in my opinion mid 500-600s seems to be the grey area for the stock motor.

I run my xi around mid 600s for about 3+ years now, no issues whereas ive seen others pop on the 2nd Dyno pull lol.

Let me know if you need any guidance

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 12-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Fortunately these cars have been around a while and the pioneers have already modded and documented it pretty good. I appreciate the offer amd may take you up on it.

In the meantime i have other little things to fix like the SOS and the bluetooth not being able to turn ON (no loose pins on the ULF thou).

Anti Lag up next.
(#20)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 12-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Ok explain to me 2 things

1. Why buy the whole fuel pump with bucket etc vs. A walbro 450 at $90 and just install it in place of the stock unit.

Is the JB4 campatible with an octane sensor? You still jave chamge your map to match right.

Anti Lag up next.
(#22)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-27-2019, 09:55 PM

One of the reasons why we sell complete units- Bucketless, bucketed etc - is that way when we offer support - we know exactly what’s done & we can ensure quality & everything is functioning as it should.

We aren’t anti DIY, in fact as the platform has grown, we realize that a lot of guys want to DIY- on our end we never know what’s been done, if somethings been damaged, or just outright done wrong.

The 535 is a bit different than it’s e90/2 brothers, makes it a bit more difficult, & one of the reasons not a ton of vendors offer one.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 12-28-2019, 09:11 AM

In the email notificatuon i saw the link to fuel it looked like part of the post lol thought you were dropping a hint.

So i should probably start another thread but i am trying to figure out how to fit 15" rims on the back of the car. The fastest 535i did it. It says custom but i am thinking the E30 M3 rotors might be small enough then comes the caliper fitment.

Anti Lag up next.