N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default High rpm misfire, always cyl 6 - 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM

I've been battling this issue for awhile and replaced damn near everything. Car is pulling timing and has a cyl6 misfire. Inj are new index 12, new hpfp, dual 450 lpfp, Franken turbos, relocated inlets, mmp outlets, pr coils, new ngk gapped at .022 (smaller gap dosnt make a difference either). vrsf charge pipe and race ic, pi, etc. All maintenance is done

Swapped coils, plug wires, injectors and issue does not follow. Still cyl6, sometimes 5 but very rare. Fueling is fine, and no matter what we do it always misfires. Compression and leak down are good too. Car is also an auto (08 335i). Misfires around 6300-6500

Can it be the stock tc causing issues? I'm running e90, kinda wanna try disabling misfire detection or slightly desensitize knock tables (as I'm pretty sure its phantom knock/misfire) above 6k as its e90 (hard to knock). Any advice? Tired of throwing money into it replacing every part without resolving.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Cr...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by SpoolnMS; 09-30-2018 at 06:13 AM..
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Csv file ?
(#3)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 06:05 AM

Can download it with that link too
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolnMS
I've been battling this issue for awhile and replaced damn near everything. Car is pulling timing and has a cyl6 misfire. Inj are new index 12, new hpfp, dual 450 lpfp, Franken turbos, relocated inlets, mmp outlets, pr coils, new ngk gapped at .022 (smaller gap dosnt make a difference either). vrsf charge pipe and race ic, pi, etc. All maintenance is done

Swapped coils, plug wires, injectors and issue does not follow. Still cyl6, sometimes 5 but very rare. Fueling is fine, and no matter what we do it always misfires. Compression and leak down are good too. Car is also an auto (08 335i). Misfires around 6300-6500

Can it be the stock tc causing issues? I'm running e90, kinda wanna try disabling misfire detection or slightly desensitize knock tables (as I'm pretty sure its phantom knock/misfire) above 6k as its e90 (hard to knock). Any advice? Tired of throwing money into it replacing every part without resolving.

Just upload the csv file. We donít use 3rd party / host sites

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Attached is the csv
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-30 19_02_46.csv (9.6 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by SpoolnMS; 09-30-2018 at 04:33 PM..
(#6)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Looks like HPFP can't keep up

i could be wrong..

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#7)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 09-30-2018, 03:47 PM

What I see in the log is that Hpfp flows intermittently

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !
(#8)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 04:14 PM

Oops wrong log. Here it is. I get random cyl5 timing drops, I'm calling gphantom knock.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-30 19_02_46.csv (9.6 KB, 232 views)
(#9)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 04:37 PM

After disabling misfire above 6k it pulls good. Except for the timing drop on 5. Now that I think about it, I did add poly trans mounts and logs before them didnt have timing drops. . . Hmm wonder if I still have my stock trans mounts
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-01-2018, 07:10 AM

5 is definitely having a hard time. How old are you coils and plugs, what gap?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Default 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Coils are precision coils, and plugs are brand new ngk .022. Tried .018 and .020 with no difference
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Coils are precision coils, and plugs are brand new ngk .022. Tried .018 and .020 with no difference
Could try throwing in the stock mounts, see if thatís causing any false knock.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 10-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Could try throwing in the stock mounts, see if that’s causing any false knock.
Put the stock mounts back in, and its still pulling timing but not as much. Also the car is adding timing back in toward the top end, which that right there is telling me its not real knock (nothing I didnt really know). So something somewhere is messing with the knock sensor.

I have a feeling its the relocated inlets as i did not remove the heatshield and I know for a fact its hitting/rubbing. When I pulled the plugs out the 1000000 time, all of them looked perfect. So that again verify's the engine isnt knocking.

So back on point, after disabling misfire detection on cyl5 above 6k (as well as changing cyl5 pr coil to cyl1) the misfire went away on 6 and came misfired on 1. Was like wtf, it never misfired on 1 before. And the ONLY thing I did not change was coils (had pr coils, didnt think of it). Bought new stock coils, regapped the plugs to .020 and bam no more misfire. Still get timing drop on 5 but not as bad as it was.

Last edited by SpoolnMS; 10-03-2018 at 09:56 AM..
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i coupe N54
Default 10-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I have been battling this issue for over a year and like you replaced everything under the sun to no avail until about 3 months ago we finally saw the light on this. However I changed two parts at the same time so it could be either or both being the culprit. I changed the PI gaskets in the manifold and bigger Pi injectors 750cc. Also found s couple of my 500cc Pi injectors had been leaky when replacing them. But I would say cyl 6 misfires related to the PI. Any sudden spikes affecting the hpfp and the dme does not like it.

2009 N54 335i coupe, 6AT PD trans, Stage 3 XHP, Built Motor, 9.6:1 Comp Ratio, Ported Head, Trebilia Custom Flash, JB4, Mhd flasher, Ngk 97506 0.018Ē gapped, PI Kit 100% E85, Jb4 PI integration, Stage 2 Pure Turbos 25.6psi, 17.2 deg timing, TFT inlets, Stage 3 Fuel-it Fpr, FBO, 431rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus

2016 M4 Competition Pack, 7-sp DCT, Jb4 Map 6
25.0 psi, s55 ign e85 Bef, E70, M4 plugs gapped 0.020Ē, stock everything else, 374.9 rwkw Mainline Dyno Aus
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Put the stock mounts back in, and its still pulling timing but not as much. Also the car is adding timing back in toward the top end, which that right there is telling me its not real knock (nothing I didnt really know). So something somewhere is messing with the knock sensor.

I have a feeling its the relocated inlets as i did not remove the heatshield and I know for a fact its hitting/rubbing. When I pulled the plugs out the 1000000 time, all of them looked perfect. So that again verify's the engine isnt knocking.

So back on point, after disabling misfire detection on cyl5 above 6k (as well as changing cyl5 pr coil to cyl1) the misfire went away on 6 and came misfired on 1. Was like wtf, it never misfired on 1 before. And the ONLY thing I did not change was coils (had pr coils, didnt think of it). Bought new stock coils, regapped the plugs to .020 and bam no more misfire. Still get timing drop on 5 but not as bad as it was.

PR coils have failed me. . .
Cyl 5 is notoriously noisy..

If you want- desensitize the sensors in MHD flash options & log. See if that cleans up cyl 5..

If it does, itís a personal preference if you want to run around with the sensors numbed...just use your best judgement.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 10-03-2018, 04:53 AM

That is the next option, except just cyl5. Its e90, I feel comfortable with a slight reduction in knock sensor sensitivity. I'll give that a try and see.
(#17)
Old

Car: 355i
Default 06-25-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
That is the next option, except just cyl5. Its e90, I feel comfortable with a slight reduction in knock sensor sensitivity. I'll give that a try and see.
How did this turn out for you? I'm also having issues with timing drops at higher rpms and on shifts.

2008 335i 6MT, Doc Race Precision 6062 GEN2 kit, JB4 ST BEF, BMS Meth & dual OCC kit, Helix hpfp, Boost Concepts Stg 2 lpfp, VRSF 3.5" exhaust, & FMIC, ER CP, HKS BOV, 550i clutch.