N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Shift Sector 4/6 - 04-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Hey guys,

Had a blast at shift sector today. The event was nicely organized and it was great hanging out with everyone Friday night and today. Shiv wasn't there today but finally got to meet Tony Vargas and check out the VT3 kit. It looks sweet. Can't wait to get mine going.

I took our 135i out to race which ran perfectly at the NoFlyZone event but unfortunately today it started acting up. The trans started goofing up in 5th letting the RPMs fly. I tried a few things via the software but they didn't help. Then the last run I did it happened again but finally broke something internally. Engine sounds like a sewing machine and plug 5 has some oil on it. Probably broke off a bit of the piston and the valve ate it. Limped it 120 miles towards home and I'm taking a dinner break right now. Not looking forward to limping up the grade. May tow it from here. On the plus side I wanted to build it up for the VT3s anyway.

*Update* Found a used N54 long block on eBay for $3000 and will throw that in so I can still play with the car while VAC builds up the motor. Likely going to do their 9.3:1 forged pistons, rods, and ported cylinder head. Hopefully ready to run with the big boys next event.

Some videos from the event:

sranch335i videos:

Busta7777 videos:

335is FBO stock turbo, meth, e40 with 1 passenger full interior vs FFTEC single turbo, no seats, etc.

Safertransport videos:

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Default 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Sad news But on to bigger and better things with the vehicle!

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM

how many miles on it?
r u gonna upgrade the transmission from level10, they said it can handle 700rwhp
i think u need to change the rods also
good luck..
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Around 40k on it. Lots of hard runs to 160mph @ 500rw+. Hundreds of dyno and track runs. But I have a feeling if the trans was not unlocking shooting the RPMs past redline the engine would still be fine. @ 20psi + 11 degrees peak advance on race gas + E85 + meth its aggressive but nothing too crazy. Maybe 19psi + 10 degrees is a little safer bet.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Probably being sarcastic

Car: e46 323i & e90 335i
Default 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Sucks to hear, now we can see what some internals can unlock power wise!

200k mi 99 blk 4dr e46 m52 323i w/ h&r's k&n cai shark'd
95 e36 m3 s50 5spd stg2 turner re11a's autox toy lol
07 BSM 6spd e90 n54 335i jb4 g5 iso ar dp's SPEC 2+ w/ SMFW BMW ssk bms dci RB pcv 455lph lpfp 50% e85 Syn. BOV hijk lmnop
94 e34 530it 290k 350ci sbc tko600 project

(#6)
Old
huh?

Car: German car(S)
Default 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear. But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

2014 CLS 550 Magno Cashmere White
(#7)
Old

Car: E92
Default 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Sorry to hear T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Around 40k on it. Lots of hard runs to 160mph @ 500rw+. Hundreds of dyno and track runs. But I have a feeling if the trans was not unlocking shooting the RPMs past redline the engine would still be fine. @ 20psi + 11 degrees peak advance on race gas + E85 + meth its aggressive but nothing too crazy. Maybe 19psi + 10 degrees is a little safer bet.
What was the max rpm that you logged?

TS N54
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Bummer.....been there.... done that.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az335iat
Bummer.....been there.... done that.
I have a feeling it's going to look exactly like yours did inside.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leopard
Sorry to hear T!

What was the max rpm that you logged?
It went off the logging scale ( > 7000rpm) I was using each time it unloaded. I think I saw 7300-7400 but of course the throttle closes. Maybe what is happening is a lean spike in the hole as the throttle closes suddenly under 20psi boost pressure. In retrospect after the first time it over revved I probably should have called it quits for the day.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Terry - PLEASE post a ton of pictures of the tear down and internals. I don't know that I've ever seen the N54 torn down, and certainly not JB4'd at your mileage.

2007 E90 335i - Sparkling Graphite Metallic - JB4, Mr.5 Intake, VRSF 7" FMIC, RB PCV Valve, BMS OCC, Evolution Racewerkes Sport Oil Cooler, Cyba Intake Scoops and Quad Exhaust Tips, M3 UCA/LCA, 17x9 and 17x9.5 Apex Arc-8
(#12)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM

Better to blow it this way than blow it from power. This way you save the block at least. Power failures can be a little more dramatic.

So I presume you'll be getting the larger turbos now :-)
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
Better to blow it this way than blow it from power. This way you save the block at least. Power failures can be a little more dramatic.

So I presume you'll be getting the larger turbos now :-)
We have to drop the motor to install the larger turbos anyway, so was planning on doing the short block at the same time. This is technically worse though because now I have to deal with the head also. May just get it ported, etc, while its apart. Just sorry I didn't get any clean runs today. Was pulling on a mid 10 second mustang @ 140mph when it crapped out during one of the races and he zoomed right on by.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM

Port it!! There are many places that could open it up some, make the high rpm's a bit more appealing. And that auto trans even less...

I know the flow sucks, is it even close to 80% on the exhaust side? If it is, it's super low still.
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 335I
Default 04-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Just my two cents.

The event was great! Lots of great cars and a variety to choose from. My car ran great with zero issues. Thanks again to Terry for checking my meth nozzles, reviewing my JB4 logs, and always creating a safety net for us.

Serge's car (Sick335) was running great as well. He took down a supercharged Mustang. I will post up the video of that soon.

Highlight of the day for me was meeting Tony from Vargas Turbos. I was not expecting him to be there so it was a pleasant surprise. It as assuring to see Vargas out there on race day even they were not racing. They showed up to meet the guys and show the Stage 3 335i. I couldn't help but ask for a ride down the street. Lets just say it was

It is a very clean set up!!!!!
(#16)
Old

Default 04-06-2013, 11:27 PM

The trans solution is going to be a difficult priority to sort out....short of going with a 6M car.

11 335d M-sport JBD 12.3 @ 110.48
12 LEAF 106 MPGe
08 335i Sedan 11.11 @ 129.43
08 335i Coupe JB3 2.0 11.33 @ 132.77
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Damn...sorry to hear about the car troubles looking forward to the build though then I'll continue to live vicariously through the BMS 135

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#18)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Hi Terry.

Is the 135i your N55 DCT car? Just ordered your JB4 Stage 2 for my 335i DCT. Hope it's not going to break anything

(#19)
Old

Default 04-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iFFM
Hi Terry.

Is the 135i your N55 DCT car? Just ordered your JB4 Stage 2 for my 335i DCT. Hope it's not going to break anything

(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hi Terry.

It's a 2008 135 steptronic. Unless you are planning on running 500+whp with a larger turbo and racing to 160mph over and over again you probably should be OK.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 2008 335I
Default 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJtNc8IIeI

JB4 RB 335i FBO vs. Lamborghini Gallardo

Last edited by sranch335i; 04-07-2013 at 09:37 AM..
(#22)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Terry I don't know if it matters much on 40k miles but have you swapped out trans fluid in that time?

2008 135i Sport 6at
JB4 G5 ISO, MHD E85 KR, Fuel-it S1, E55 Mix, Alpina Trans Flash, afe Scoops, My own custom 2.5" inlets, ER CP, Synapse BOV, 3.5 Tmap, 7.5" Phoenix FMIC, NGK 5992, 3" BMS downtubes, N55 Mids, Berk Race, BMS OCC, 48 plate oil cooler, 36 plate trans fluid cooler, PSS, R888, Hoosier DRs.
11.92@123.6 (JB4 ISO, DCI, IC, **, DR, on e45 & 17psi)(2013)
444whp/481wtq @19psi and e60 (2013)

2013 X3 xDrive28i M-package
JB4, K&N drop-in, ER downtube, Map 2 @ 22psi on 93
(#23)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135idct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It's a 2008 135 steptronic. Unless you are planning on running 500+whp with a larger turbo and racing to 160mph over and over again you probably should be OK.

Ok. Now I'm looking like a fool . I don't read here very often tbh (I'm from Germany) - now I know that you have two 135i :-).

How is your 135i holding up?
(#24)
Old

Default 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Ok. Now I'm looking like a fool . I don't read here very often tbh (I'm from Germany) - now I know that you have two 135i :-).

How is your 135i holding up?
my car is n54, 135idct just a user name, still on stock turbos
(#25)
Old

Car: 535i 6MT
Default 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Terry, can u make sure you tell us if your stock pistons are casted or forged.... many of us are still believed there might be forged pistons out there between 07-08 build n54.

2008 535i 6MT * JB4 G5 ISO * Luke performance flash * E40 * BMS 100% Meth * AR meowless DP * ETS FMIC * BMS OCC * BMS DCI * ER chargepipe * HKS bov * CDV deleted * Ksport coilovers * UUC short shift kit * AC schnitzer rear spolier *