N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Alpina B3 BiTurbo N54
Default Alpina B3 low compression N54 + JB4 w/o BEF - 09-12-2021, 02:31 AM

Hi, a JB4 newbie with some questions and a specific application …

The car/engine is an Alpina B3 BiTurbo low compression N54, so a CR of 9.4 and an Alpina standard maximum boost of 1.1 bar / 15.9psi from the stock turbos, giving a quoted 360bhp/500Nm. Other than this, a stock Alpina N54 B3 has only a few hardware modifications, certainly very little that directly results in more power. The cylinder CR is lower, as noted, and an oil cooler is standard. This particular B3 has an upgraded LLK and PCV, as well as a ‚soft’ xHP stage 2, but is otherwise stock. Gas used is 100 RON or better, so at least 93 US.

The N54 B3s – 400bhp/540Nm – got max. 17.4psi, again on the stock turbos, a better airbox and inlets, an additional water cooler and single cats in the dwnpypes (no cats in the midpipe), as well as a few other bits and pieces.

I have found and seen the other (very short) Alpina-specific threads here, but none of those really look at using the JB4 w/o a BEF, i.e. it is to be used for gauges and the features, but no ‚tuning’ for big power gains. A JB4 is installed as of yesterday and is apparently fully functional.

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-23-2021 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: … multiple corrections
(#2)
Old

Default 09-12-2021, 11:13 AM

The initial result was that the Alpina DME did not like have its stock tune stacked like a BEF.

4/2 + map0, 1, 2 and 5 *all* (yes, even map0) resulted in an overboost error and CEL at only 40-50% throttle. The JB4 kicked over to map4 at least once. There are no logs as I was nowhere near going for WOT, instead still testing the ground with part throttle.

I searched here for ‚overboost‘, and one take-away from those posts was that I perhaps should not treat the Alpina tune like a BEF – switching to 4/3 seems to make the DME immediately less fickle.

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-18-2021 at 08:31 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default Log attached, Alpina B3 N54 - 09-12-2021, 02:16 PM

(continued … ):

Successive runs with 4/3 were without incident. I can now use map0, 2 and 5 without issue, and there are some initial but not quite complete 3rd gear runs that I will build on this week. Map2 appears to target around max. 15psi, which is just 1psi shy of the Alpina B3 specification. One of the later map5 runs is attached (DSC was on, not to redline), the JB4 appears to want to target max. 17.4psi (= B3s).

If anybody wants to chip in on the health of the engine, please go ahead – FWIW, the engine has nearly 130,000 miles, compression test shows equal pressures across all cylinders, checks show the oil to be clean, the turbos are the originals, there is an upgrade LLK + PCV + S55 oil thermostat, coils are new, spark plugs have about 20k miles on them, there should be no boost leaks.

The AFR goes rich to under 11 @ around peak torque and then stays there – OK?

Thanks for any help …
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M5_R1_210912_185714.csv (35.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-18-2021 at 08:33 AM..
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-13-2021, 10:37 AM

Log looks normal to me...

If you have questions, I'd suggest breaking it down to one thing at a time rather than writing a novel. ;l)

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Thanks Steve,

yeah, sorry – too many thoughts and bits of knowledge racing around, that you guys obviously have no time to take in … FWIW, I think I’ve answered most of it myself already.

I have now solved another question I had, and that was how to get a ‚jb4‘ed‘ version of the stock Alpina tune … I thought I could simply take a run in map0, enter the targeted boost values into map6 and that should be my ‚jb4‘ed Alpina boost target tune‘, right? – ANSWER: No, simply use map4 … doh!

It turns out that map4 does not utilize hardcoded BMW 335i stock boost values, instead it appears to use the values from the DME it is connected to (log attached). This is good news x3, as it means 1. there is a ‚jb4’ed‘ Alpina boost map more or less OTS, and 2. if running a more aggressive map, then in a safety trigger situation, the DME goes back to the Alpina stock boost map and not that from the BMW 335i, and 3. it also means that the Alpina boost map is running from cold too. That was all not clear from the documentation.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M4_R1_210920_092043.csv (17.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-02-2021 at 11:46 AM..
(#6)
Old

Default 09-26-2021, 12:11 PM

Have now done a little more learning and researching. The (my) B3 boost map appears to only go to 14.5psi (so 1.0 bar, not 1.1) – or that is what the JB4 wants to read at most (DME BT). Maybe the engine already reached spec bhp & Nm with that, so perhaps it came that way from the factory.

I have now set-up map6 to be a little over the stock map everywhere – the log appears to be clean, but I would appreciate any important comments before aiming higher … log attached.

Also, I‘m getting some micro-surging at constant lightish throttle (and in cruise control) – should I reduce menu 12 (currently 2700)?

Thanks …
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_210926_193437.csv (45.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-02-2021 at 11:47 AM..
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-27-2021, 11:25 AM

The log looks fine but have you tried switching menu 4 to option 2 with the steering wheel controls and just using the JB4 normally? I don't believe it should be an issue for the alpina, the biggest difference is that you have a different flash, so by enabling BEF mode with the JB4, it will take that in to account.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#8)
Old

Default 09-27-2021, 11:54 AM

Thanks Steve ...

See the first 2 posts – I tried 4/2 initially but it didn't work, I kept getting a CEL, and not even at WOT. Switching to 4/3 cured it instantly. Maybe it just had not tuned in yet ...

If you look at DME BT & ECU psi, it looks like the JB4 is 'accounting' for the tune already.

I can try 4/2 again and report.

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-02-2021 at 12:00 PM..
(#9)
Old

Default Logs attached, Alpina B3 N54 - 10-02-2021, 12:00 PM

Hi Steve,

I tried 4/2 and it worked fine … ().

I have attached 2 ‚identical‘ map6 logs, the only difference being 4/3 and then 4/2. Apart from Avg Ign drifting up over both pulls (minutes later it backed off to under 0.5 again … ), and there being some changes in timing, I see no real difference … 4/2 appears to result in ECU_psi being further from DME_BT.

UPDATE: 4/2 today (next day) repeatedly gave me under/over boost and multiple CEL, and again not even at WOT. I really need an authorative answer to the question below:

Which setting do you think I should be using given this result, 4/2 or 4/3?

Thanks …
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_211002_190804.csv (34.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_211002_191607.csv (28.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-04-2021 at 09:40 AM..
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-04-2021, 10:16 AM

Honestly, the logs look pretty normal and I'd leave it on 4/2. Then I'd pull the codes that you are getting to systematically troubleshoot the root cause.

(#11)
Old

Default 10-18-2021, 08:26 AM

Log attached for my map6 via 4/2 – looks good to me …

Strange – when adapted to my map6 with 4/3, if I then switch to 4/2 the DME throws (only) under and overboost CELs for a few adaptation runs until it settles in … but then I can see no real differences in any values in the logs

Qn.1 – I can‘t generate Ign2-6 values, regardless of whether I enter 4 or 5 (5 should work)

Qn.2 – What causes FF to drift up and then back down? … this has happened today, for no obvious reason …

Thanks …
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_211018_160652.csv (28.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by bekloptupus; 10-18-2021 at 08:38 AM..
(#12)
Old

Car: Evo VIII
Default 10-18-2021, 10:05 AM

1. Try entering in 7 for 6 cyl timing

2. 50, 50, 50, 55, 55, 55, 55, 55, 55, 50, 50, 55, 55
It drifts back down because you have 5500 & 6000 rpm set to 50 then have it rise back up to 55.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old

Default 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM

‚7‘? … OK., I‘ll try it - thanks.

With FF, I meant that the self-adapting value (0-150) drifts up over a few logs, but then self-adapts down again. Nothing else has changed, so apparently for no reason. I was not referring to duty bias.
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-18-2021, 11:11 AM

FF is dynamic and can/will vary with conditions. Good duty bias tuning will typically resolve most of that. Then FF will still adjust due to conditions but that adjustment is for the entire RPM range adjusting the FF curve up or down to match the WGDC curve. Duty bias tuning adjusts the shape of the curve.

Cannon is correct, you have a dip in your DB settings. You more than likely need to do something like this to get your FF curve to match your WGDC curve...

Make sense?

(#15)
Old

Default 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM

OK, then FF drifts seemingly randomly, although it probably isn’t random … fine.

I‘ve read the function of FF and duty bias values here in the ‚FAQ thread’ several times, and I even saw those values for hybrid turbos too – the duty bias values visible in the log are mine, and intentional, but maybe there is no real-world scenario that justifies a dip?

FWIW, I simply see FF do an occasional excursion to higher values over the course of a few logs and then it drifts back down again. It seems I shouldn‘t be worried, so thanks for the replies …
(#16)
Old

Default Alpina B3 N54, 4/2 vs 4/3 - 10-21-2021, 09:16 AM

Hi support team updates:

1. Setting '7' for 6 cyl timing doesn't gain me the other Ign_x curves either.

2. More 4/2 woes - using 4/2 the DME is just a real diva, it seems like every new day it has to throw constant part throttle overboost tantrums until several (underboosted) WOT runs have re-adapted something in the JB4, and then its fine. Next day, however, the same behavior. With 4/3 this just doesn't happen. So I have to ask, what should be the concrete benefits for me running 4/2, because from where I am standing (see overlay of clean back-to-back 4/2 and 4/3 runs) I see none

I notice that with 4/2, ECU_psi tracks >1psi under DME_BT, while with 4/3 this is much smaller is there any significance of that?

3. My FF curve is peaking at around 5500rpm I need to mimic that shape in the duty bias values, right?

Thanks again
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_211021_151640.csv (32.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_211021_152305.csv (21.4 KB, 23 views)
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-22-2021, 01:04 PM

FF curve looks good. Sorry this is a pretty long ordeal but have you tried loading one of the BMS BEF's? It could be that the Alpina flash is the issue and the BMS flash may play better and get you your additional timing channels.

(#18)
Old

Default 10-22-2021, 01:38 PM

Re. FF – Maybe, but my duty bias values don’t track that shape. Should they?

Re. BMS BEF:

1. Do the BMS BEFs play fair with (i.e. account for) the 9.4 CR?
2. Just in case, what is my route back to the *Alpina* tune?

Thanks …
(#19)
Old

Default 11-06-2021, 12:53 AM

^^ bump ^^

There is at least one question for the JB4 team in there.

Thanks ...
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-08-2021, 01:02 PM

You can back up your "stock tune" to replace it later if you wish.

(#21)
Old

Default 11-10-2021, 09:37 AM

... no I can't - the MHD app can connect but not take a back-up of the Alpina tune from the DME - I tried, and from MHD no support.

If it can not even do that, I am not taking the risk trying to push something back to the DME, custom or original.
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-10-2021, 12:42 PM

No problem...your car, your choice.