N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default Surging if cruising above 3000rpm - 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM

So I have 2 issues. 1 is probably my fault due to a setting which I have fixed now and will log again to see.

I had the WGDC set at 100 I just switched it back to 60 and saved it. I just got done installing the caddyless and inlets and replacing a dead wastegate actuator. I did have 2 gal of E85 on half a tank. But the to hotel run makes no sense because I added 7 gal 93 and no E85 but the JB4 read it as higher E85??? Anyway the issue is the car at higher RPMs goes to Map 4 at 1 point today I dropped from 6th to 4th to pass and got the dreaded Reduced power.

The other issue i am having is above 3000rpm the car surges or bucks. You can really feel it if the RPM is steady, but I am pretty sure it happens when accelerating as well just harder to detect. It was doing this before I fixed the wastegate actuator and was making no boost, also before I got the JB4. So I do not know what is causing it. I am sure someone has experience with this issue.

In the "To Hotel" log I purposely kept it steady above 3k at the end to illicit the issue for the log and sure enough it went to map 4 but looks like it happened before that.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Jan 20 20 from gym.csv (25.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: csv Jan 20 20 to gym.csv (15.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: csv Jan 20 0 to hotel.csv (9.9 KB, 162 views)

08 535i MT Blk. CP w/BOV, JB4, BEF, DCI, edited things delete, Inlets, 7" FMIC, SP exhaust, X Clutch, poly/delrin shifter bushings, Walbro 525, RB PCV, catch can, VRSF oulets, MMP Gen 1 Stg3, 3.5Tbar, 2 step, FSB WMI
Anti Lag up next.
On Hand: JB4 PI Controller
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 01-21-2020, 02:08 AM

I would guess bank 1 02 sensor and you have 3rd gear limited to 2psi max boost.
Also enable 6cyl timing and set your tmap to correct value.
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM

Besides what BEAST said, your Duty Bias is all over the place. Either its bad settings or you configured it incorrectly. There is also a weird TMAP setting.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Zero out all your duty bias settings

Tmap - should be 0 or 1 based on stock or 3.5 bar

Enable 6 cyl timing

Once that’s done- take another log

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Ok so first I want to say a BIG thank you. It is so nice dealing with knowledgeable people. I replaced the front O2 sensor and most of the surging is gone. I do not know if the tiny remaining bit is due to the fuel trims needing to adjust or maybe the rear O2 could use replacing as well???

Also the plumes of smoke are gone now as well.

Here is the latest log. The issue I see is now TOO much boost (no complaints) but for Map 1 it should not get that high right?
Attached Files
File Type: csv Superbowl morming new O2.csv (73.2 KB, 147 views)

08 535i MT Blk. CP w/BOV, JB4, BEF, DCI, edited things delete, Inlets, 7" FMIC, SP exhaust, X Clutch, poly/delrin shifter bushings, Walbro 525, RB PCV, catch can, VRSF oulets, MMP Gen 1 Stg3, 3.5Tbar, 2 step, FSB WMI
Anti Lag up next.
(#6)
Old

Default 02-11-2020, 06:35 PM

Ok So I ordered the 3.5TMap, 2 Step and the Clutch stop today in anticipation of the turbos etc... to come.

I zeroed out the duty bias as mentioned earlier.

The issues I notice

1. I still have the surging at anything above 3000rpm. I did rear the other thread about the crack in the valve cover. I had the issue before changing the valve cover gasket and did not notice any cracks in mine when I had it off. This was also an issue when I had no boost so it is not turbo related.

2. I have replaced the Vanos and the Front O2 (where I had 2 leaky injectors when I bought it). The snap that was a 3000rmp is not at 2800 approx and a little less noticeable but still there. It is very noticable in first less in second and third gear.

3. When I was cruising up at 3-4k rpm the boost on oil was showing Zero. The log suggests otherwise.

4. Seems to boost too high.

Please take a look at the new logs and let me know if you see any issues I can address. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Feb 11 run 1.csv (9.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: csv Feb 11 run 2.csv (18.1 KB, 138 views)

Anti Lag up next.
(#7)
Old

Default 02-15-2020, 06:00 PM

So looks like the FMIC goes in this weekend, the upgraded PCV, Clutch and SMFW next weekend and no date on the Burger parts yet. Turbos are shot pretty sure (smoking pretty good and sounds like end play) so won't drive it much for the next month. Would love to sort out this surging issue first though.

Might even do the Walbro 525 install next weekend as well just depends on time.

Anti Lag up next.

Last edited by Stroker396; 02-15-2020 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: added info
(#8)
Old

Car: e82, e87,e36
Default 01-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Hey I'm having the same surging issue you describe, I'm curious if you have figured out what it was.
It's pretty annoying once you notice it when driving