N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default E60 LPFP identification - 08-31-2014, 04:43 AM

Hey all,

I need to ask for your help. I rebuilt an E60 pump and have been waiting to get results back. Unfortunately the beta tester had some bad luck with his car and a tough schedule so they haven't installed it yet.

In the mean time I came across this but I can't tell from the pic if this is exactly the same as what you guys run. I've never had the drivers side assembly in my hands and would like to have one as well as a core passenger side assembly. The passenger side looks correct.

Can anybody verify this is correct and if so I'll pull the trigger on this. Then we'll get it out to another beta tester and see how things go.

Thanks,
Steve

Name:  535I FUEL PUMP.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  237.6 KB

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM

Not sure if this will help

But these are from my car when I had the AEM installed
Attached Images

2008 BMW 535i
JB4 G5, BMS Pump Flash, ( Updated FW ), DCI,
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
ER CP
E60 DP
450 HP / 480 TQ ( when running AEM 320, 50% E85 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z_sELokzk
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks,

I think that's it....I'll order it and then I'll have a completely stock unit.

Steve

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Sorry guys,

I have been away on several business trips and have been battling other maintenance issues with both cars for a while.
I will eventually find time to install the new bucket and lines with the Walbro 450 and post separately on performance.
Plan is then to run E60 blend with 93 and develop a custom Cobb tuning map for it (using ATR software.)
I ran E50 on the AEM pump, so I look forward to the expected power gains provided the pump performs as we hope it will.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Unfortunately the assembly I just received is damaged and it doesn't have the y connector...consequently it is going back.

(#6)
Old

Car: 535i 6MT
Default 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Unfortunately the assembly I just received is damaged and it doesn't have the y connector...consequently it is going back.
What is the ETA for the working pump? When do you think you will come out with your new product?

2008 535i 6MT * JB4 G5 ISO * Luke performance flash * E40 * BMS 100% Meth * AR meowless DP * ETS FMIC * BMS OCC * BMS DCI * ER chargepipe * HKS bov * CDV deleted * Ksport coilovers * UUC short shift kit * AC schnitzer rear spolier *
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I'm still waiting on Peder's results.

The other pump I just got in was slightly different and one of the lines had been cut. I attempted to return it but the seller just refunded it and said to keep it. It'll probably be good for extra parts but isn't a complete unit.

Once I have results from Peder...he's going to send me his old assembly and I'll start acquiring a few cores so customers will be able to swap out there pumps without any down time.

(#8)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting on Peder's results.

The other pump I just got in was slightly different and one of the lines had been cut. I attempted to return it but the seller just refunded it and said to keep it. It'll probably be good for extra parts but isn't a complete unit.

Once I have results from Peder...he's going to send me his old assembly and I'll start acquiring a few cores so customers will be able to swap out there pumps without any down time.
Steve, if you still need an OEM passenger side bucket with lines Andre said he has one laying around the garage. If you do let me know since I'm meeting him for lunch on Mon.

Also, just a best guess, with the stage 2 upgrade that Peder is going to test you think 100% E85 is possible with stock snails?

'09 AW 535i
-FBO w/custom Cobb E45 map, Fuel_it Stg2 LPFP and Performance Gearing LSD

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2014, 03:07 PM

On stock snails it's always hit or miss. It really comes down to your tune, the HPFP, and a few other variables.

As far as the bucket, absolutely. I still have the one I recently got off ebay that included the filter. I believe the filters are the same so it'll give us a full system for bench testing. Let me know and we'll work it out.

Thanks

(#10)
Old

Default 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
On stock snails it's always hit or miss. It really comes down to your tune, the HPFP, and a few other variables.

As far as the bucket, absolutely. I still have the one I recently got off ebay that included the filter. I believe the filters are the same so it'll give us a full system for bench testing. Let me know and we'll work it out.

Thanks
Cool. Andre is giving me the bucket tomorrow. I'll snap some pics and post it up so you can see if its what you need. Also I know Peder has the first setup for a E60. However if you need someone to test it if he can't I'm taking 2 weeks off work at the end of oct and wouldn't mind guinea pigging it. Just saying.

'09 AW 535i

(#11)
Old

Car: 535xi
Default 10-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Would love to be able to run 100%, hell even just 80% e85 on the stock twins

2010 535xi
ALL black, murdered out FBO jb4+flash
Fuel It! stage 2 LPFP on the way

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#12)
Old

Default 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black535xi
Would love to be able to run 100%, hell even just 80% e85 on the stock twins
That's what I'm hoping. Right now im on the edge with my LPFP running a E45 map which is easier to fill, half e85 and half 91. I guess I'm lucky since the E85 stations out here are pretty consistent at being at E85.

'09 AW 535i

(#13)
Old

Default 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
That's what I'm hoping. Right now im on the edge with my LPFP running a E45 map which is easier to fill, half e85 and half 91. I guess I'm lucky since the E85 stations out here are pretty consistent at being at E85.

You need meth. I can't run much e85 at all unless im spraying. At ~e37 I had issues with fuel trims, but pressures were great... 100% meth and a DO14 nozzle really supplement the fuel system nicely

I need a flash BAD

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick
Steve email me at Jwdominick@yahoo.com I'm willing buy one and have it shipped to you. Email me specifically what to buy and where to have it shipped.
A quick update on this....

We received jwdominick's pump and filter assembly that he had sent to us (thanks!). We did some preliminary testing prior to disassembling everything and got flows of .8GPM @ 13.5V and 72psi.

We then installed a new Walbro 450 pump and tested that under the same conditions. The flows with the new Walbro 450 installed were 1.0GPM under the same conditions for an increase of 25%.

The stock pump in these buckets is an oversized Bosch turbine pump that is much larger than the 1 and 3 series are utilizing. Just like the 1 and 3 series, there are 2 venturis and the configuration is fairly similar with the exception of a Y adapter that splits the supply between the filter assembly and the venturis. This likely explains the oversized Bosch pump and the reduction in flows with the Walbro pump as this system seems to be less efficient. Not sure why they did this other than potentially due to the larger tank, deeper drivers side well, and the lift required to return fuel from the driver's side to the passenger side?

We are ordering in some additional tooling and hardware to button everything back up and hope to have this out to Jeremy for testing in the next week or so.

(#15)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 01:05 PM

is that 25% increase with e85 or just regular pump fuel?

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs

Last edited by black535xi; 10-26-2014 at 03:13 PM..
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
is that 20% increase with e85 or just regular pump fuel?
Neither...we use mineral spirits for our bench testing.

That was also a 25% increase in flows...not 20%

FYI the specific gravity of:

Mineral Spirits = .74
Gasoline = .74
E85 = .79
Water = 1

(#17)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Yes it was, sorry bout that

So if our pump flows unleaded fuel just fine, and ethanol requires about 30% more flow... is it safe to assume that this pump would allow us to max out the hpfp on e85 since it flows 25% more... obviously not straight e85, but perhaps 80-85%?
I honestly have no issue relying on meth as a fuel supement, so all im looking for is something that would let me run enough e85 to take care of map 7 boost levels, and I could go more aggressive with map 3 for track days or if I upgrade turbos in the future

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#18)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Neither...we use mineral spirits for our bench testing.

That was also a 25% increase in flows...not 20%

FYI the specific gravity of:

Mineral Spirits = .74
Gasoline = .74
E85 = .79
Water = 1
Good info. Just curious Steve what setup is Jeremy running on his 535? I didn't see his post to check his sig info. Also thanks for continuing to try to help us out with our elusive fueling solution.

'09 AW 535i

(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yes it was, sorry bout that

So if our pump flows unleaded fuel just fine, and ethanol requires about 30% more flow... is it safe to assume that this pump would allow us to max out the hpfp on e85 since it flows 25% more... obviously not straight e85, but perhaps 80-85%?
I honestly have no issue relying on meth as a fuel supement, so all im looking for is something that would let me run enough e85 to take care of map 7 boost levels, and I could go more aggressive with map 3 for track days or if I upgrade turbos in the future
So you want to know if you can run 85% of an 85% ethanol blend...or 72% ethanol?

On greater percentages of ethanol content I'm assuming you'll also be running a more aggressive tune and making more power?...I didn't see that in your equation.

Our expectation is that you'll now be able to max out the HPFP. Beyond that, your individual variables are going to come in to play.

Lets see how Jeremy's testing goes and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Good info. Just curious Steve what setup is Jeremy running on his 535? I didn't see his post to check his sig info. Also thanks for continuing to try to help us out with our elusive fueling solution.
I'll let @jwdominick give you his mods as they aren't listed in his sig. If he doesn't see this...I'll ask.

And no problem

(#20)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Sorry man, I just got a little too exited seeing that we may have some kind of fuel upgrade available soon-ish... I just want to be able to use the corn fuel like everyone else

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#21)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry man, I just got a little too exited seeing that we may have some kind of fuel upgrade available soon-ish... I just want to be able to use the corn fuel like everyone else
Are you not able to use a E30 mix for some reason? From my logs I can usuAlly run up to a E40 mix with no issues. Currently though the E45 mix and aggressive map I'm using is putting my LPFP into a early grave so a upgrade is really needed for me to keep ripping it up.

'09 AW 535i

(#22)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 05:09 PM

Well in the past I had issues with not much e85 at all so I gave up. This summer I found that my limit was about e37, but only bc im spraying meth... I never had a flash until this last week, and now everything is e70 junk so I haven't got a chance to figure It all out yet

I think I could probably pull it off, but not enough to replace straight race fuel

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#23)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well in the past I had issues with not much e85 at all so I gave up. This summer I found that my limit was about e37, but only bc im spraying meth... I never had a flash until this last week, and now everything is e70 junk so I haven't got a chance to figure It all out yet

I think I could probably pull it off, but not enough to replace straight race fuel
You should be able to run a E30 mix without having to use meth. If you are using the backend flash via a AP then you should be able to just change your fuel scalar to a E30 mix, iirc 1.10 banks 1&2, using the cobb ATR. If there is a more involved process I'm not sure since I only run a Cobb flash map using ATR.

'09 AW 535i

(#24)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Im just running the BB flash... pump for daily and race for the track. I have the e85 flash but didnt thi k it was worth it now that it's not truly e85 anymore

Anyone know what octane e70 is supposed to be?

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#25)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Im just running the BB flash... pump for daily and race for the track. I have the e85 flash but didnt thi k it was worth it now that it's not truly e85 anymore

Anyone know what octane e70 is supposed to be?
Ahhh okay. Well I can't help you there. Maybe reach out to Ken to see if he can help you with getting a proper E30 flash so you can have fun. Also make sure you test the E85 in your area because I just tested the place where I get mine and it is still around E85-88.

@SteveAZ - if the testing goes good Andre already hooked me up with a bucket for some fuel lovin!
Attached Images

'09 AW 535i