N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: UK 140i-M Sport Auto
Default 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread - but just to check, the AR Design pipes are only available in one type (not including the resonated and catted ones)? I.E. There's not a LHD version and a RHD version? There's just one version that is both LHD and RHD friendly?

Also, how are people finding it to install these on RHD cars? Any hints or tips that might help me? I have a set at home waiting to go on, but am not sure if I should attempt fitment myself.
Hi TheRuss, It depends on what type of access you have to get under the car and if you have the patients, i done mine on ramps on my driveway, but i only re-fitted the standard ones that were gutted of the cats and that was a pain. that took me on my own 4 hrs. Regarding if the AR pipes are right hand friendly i cant comment on, but through experience of everything i have done to my car, nothing has been as simple as the left hand drive car upgrades, even when i upgraded my tubs to the bigger ones it was one pain in the butt to get them off/back on, i even dropped my sub frame and completely removed the steering rack to get to things easier.

Have fun if you do it yourself, if you want a good garage to fit them for you PM me, where in London are you ?
(#27)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM

I'm actually in Bristol - do you know of anyone over this way?

I'd be delighted to get it done in 4 hours, or even 12 hours, but I'm worried about it taking all weekend and not being ready for driving to work on Monday morning. I work slooowly!

What did you find hard about it? Just access, or anything else?
(#28)
Old

Car: 08' 135i
Default 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Nice *********!
(#29)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6MT
Default 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I'd be delighted to get it done in 4 hours, or even 12 hours, but I'm worried about it taking all weekend and not being ready for driving to work on Monday morning. I work slooowly!

Mainly, it's the small space you have to work with. It's tricky to get everything back the way it was when the clearances are so small.

(#30)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 01:44 AM

Ok thanks. Guess I'm just going to have to give it a go...
(#31)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:

As said by others its the small space to work in + if your on the floor on your back its difficult to reach up to get to a few nuts & bolts. I have done a few now and it gets easier every time, Disconnect the plugs that go to the O2 Sensors and remove the sensors with the pipes, its easier to get the sensors out, and mark what ones go where ? and when doing up the clamps on the new pipes make sure that they don't hit on anything, when i done mine, one was touching the wastegate actuator and i had no boost :-( took a while to find that one.
If you are used to doing your own repairs then you should get it done over the weekend. Get the car on ramps on a Friday night, remove the back tray and engine cover, and the splash trays under the car + start tracing the O2 sensor cables and remove from the small clamps that hold them safe, mark them up with some masking tape and write on the tape what sensor it is, Soak the nuts on the old down-pipes with WD40 and any others that look rusty. Have a good nights sleep and start to remove everything else early Sat Morning, by 12 O'Clock you should be finished :-).
Good luck and have fun.
(#32)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 03:56 AM

Thanks for that. Luckily I've just changed out my midpipes, so have fresh nuts on the ********/midpipes connections. I wasted a whole day of my holidays just trying to get one of those nuts off and ended up having to get a garage to heat it with a torch in the end. Should make the DP install a bit easier though!

When you say back tray and engine cover, do you mean the engine undertrays? Or did you remove the cover on top of the engine for some reason?
(#33)
Old
Brendan

Car: 335i 2007 6spdman
Default 08-01-2013, 04:10 AM

RHD fitment is hard. Taking the stock DP out is hard, cracking the o2 sensors is the issue i had. There is just no leverage room.
Even if the pipe fitment is perfect the 02 sensores are very dificult to loosen at first.(even with ant seize spray)
Fitting the clamp on DP to turbos is hard by yourself.

I installed BMS DP then capped and moved one sensor then re-installed.
(#34)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Luckily I've just changed out my midpipes, so have fresh nuts on the ********/midpipes connections. I wasted a whole day of my holidays just trying to get one of those nuts off and ended up having to get a garage to heat it with a torch in the end. Should make the DP install a bit easier though!

When you say back tray and engine cover, do you mean the engine undertrays? Or did you remove the cover on top of the engine for some reason?
Remove the big tray @ the back of the engine bay were the aircon/fresh air filter is, you have to remove the small covers to the DME box first (in front of the window screen). I removed my ********* with the sensors in and heated the surrounding area up with a small gas torch, i also have an O2 sensor socket just for the job. (long reach socket with a slot cut in it) yes you have to remove the undertrays and the top engine cover.
When i re-installed the ********* i used stainless nut bolts & washers.
(#35)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 04:58 AM

So what's the point of removing the engine cover? To get access to the o2 sensor plugs? I assume you then pull the wiring out with the ********?

As for the o2 sensors, I have a collection of spanners, cut down spanners, o2 sensor sockets etc all specifically bought for this job!

If it requires a torch as well then I'll get one, as long as the DP comes out ok with the sensors still installed?
(#36)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 05:30 AM

For the sake of undoing 4 small screws and removing the cover it makes life easier to remove the cables and the plugs from the sockets + you can check the two vacum pipes that run across the engine for cracks ?.
(#37)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I've had that cover off enough times, just wondered why we were doing it for DP install.