N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#126)
Old

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM

I just flashed the alpina sofware today. Was a little freaked out when I was getting that little gear symbol while it was flashing. Also got error the first time, and also can hear my transmission locked up. Prayed to god and flashed again from the beginning. Second time around I was getting warning lights like gear symbol, airbag, and the weirdest thing was my windshield wipers were staying on. After the flash was done and I hit OK, the battery symbol went on. I'm guessing all the weirdness with the windshield wipers and airbag lights coming on is due to low battery. Locked the car and waited 5 mins. Started her up and everything works perfectly. No error codes or anything. Love how I can see what gear I am in no matter if I'm in D,S, or M. Only question I have is when I manually shift from M2 to M3 at a high rpm, it seems like a very harsh shift. It shift fast, but is that normal? Feels like a shift in an E46 SMG M3.
(#127)
Old
N54ever

Car: 135i
Default 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm not completely sold on this flash...even though it was free.

This is only day 2 and I will give it some more time, but other than the quick manual shifts, everything else seems to be kinda meh, at least in my car.

1. Previously, in DS mode, my car never made it to 6th gear even up to 120. This tune will allow S6 at 70ish MPH. Sounds like a good thing, and it is, but my commuting keeps me around 65-75 all the time so I'm constantly shifting between S5 and S6. Easy fix: put in Manual or Drive.

2. Drive mode: Shifts are at LOW RPM. It's been posted you will be in 6th gear at 40mph. Believe it. I don't necessarily want to give 50%+ throttle when the engine is dead cold just to be able to safely accelerate on the main road leaving my house in the morning. A little more gear holding would be better.

3. S# mode: I find it very interesting, and a little disappointing, that when I am at say, S3 with a constant speed (like 40) and I give it some more gas it shifts to S4. This happens quite a bit and is only defeated by much more throttle or manual mode.

These are just initial thoughts. I'm still getting used to it.
(#128)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Yeah there are some quirky things about the flash, for me mainly the D mode is a bit odd. I do think it shifts much tighter in all modes under load though, which is what I mainly wanted.

Not sure what mods you have but as I modded my car the tranny felt less and less good shifting while getting on it, now at least in both S & M modes in addition to shifting quicker it feels very smooth and crisp.

Any auto will have quirks but this one in particular seemed to get worse as power got better, and now it is very enjoyable to drive hard or even just "sporty". Was running Cobb Stage 1+ before and soon after the flash I went ahead and installed some DP's that were lying around so stage 2+ now.

My car is an Xi maybe something going on with the drivetrain loading up the tranny more or something made this flash more of an obvious improvement.
(#129)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Is 10 times better than oem . Yes D is very easy on the gear changes but S is wonerful

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 Flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
(#130)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Somebody else said D felt like a CVT. It shifts so low RPM's I would not want to get on it in D unless it was very warmed up. I was playing around with D the other day (after warm up) it will kick down pretty hard if you punch it, but then real quickly it gets back to 6th at any kind of speed. S or M is the way to go unless you are totally loafing on the HWY. Probably good for MPG.
(#131)
Old
huh?

Car: German car(S)
Default 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Can anyone in Socal do this for me? Please PM. Of course I'll pay..
(#132)
Old
N54ever

Default 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Somebody else said D felt like a CVT. It shifts so low RPM's I would not want to get on it in D unless it was very warmed up. I was playing around with D the other day (after warm up) it will kick down pretty hard if you punch it, but then real quickly it gets back to 6th at any kind of speed. S or M is the way to go unless you are totally loafing on the HWY. Probably good for MPG.
My thoughts exactly.
(#133)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Sport is the new Drive....I hate Drive now unless the car is warming up or I'm on the freeway at speed. Even under those circumstances I can't wait to shift out of drive and if on the freeway and I want to accelerate...back in to sport mode.

However, everything is much smoother now...I didn't like sport or drive after the power started getting over 400rwhp...trade-offs for sure but overall a much better option than stock. If I wasn't running quite a bit of horsepower over stock or I drove on map 0 or 1 a lot....I probably wouldn't do this "upgrade".

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#134)
Old
nsomneeak

Car: RB E92
Default 03-28-2013, 07:37 AM

I really like the new D, but that might be because of the daily commute. It definitely cycles through the gears as quickly as possible, which can be weird, and sound weird, if you're between light and heavy acceleration, but outside of that I think it's great. If I need it to go in D it jabs down several gears and goes, quickly, if given the correct amount of throttle. When I don't need it to go anymore it quickly and smoothly gets back into 6th gear. Great for daily driving/commuting. There's definitely a learning curve for your accelerator foot though.

I haven't gotten to play with M or DS too much, but from the little time I've spent in them I'm nothing short of pleased with the results. The downshifts and instant forward momentum when getting on the throttle from a cruise and the solid upshifts at speed seem great so far.

The car is in the body shop now, since some kid decided to back into my parked car at 25mph, but I plan on getting more DS and M time in when I get it back.
(#135)
Old

Default 03-29-2013, 04:40 AM

Hope we can get a solution for early 07 production.. I am 1/07

Thanks
(#136)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 03-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartpumper77
Hope we can get a solution for early 07 production.. I am 1/07

Thanks
that would be awesome.....I am late 06.

JB4 G5, ***** flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#137)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM

flashed my car and its been a few days since and here are my impressions:

-car seems to have slight hesitation from stop now...not sure whats up and it happens in all modes
-car was smoother before before flash when shifting (jerky now)
-car doesnt feel as peppy since it shifts so early....im in 4th gear by 40km/hr which makes the car feel sluggish and to get it to go any quicker i have to engage the kickdown by pressing down the pedal more. Before, from stop, the car would go and feel peppy because it wouldn't shift as early and when i give a lil more throttle, the car would pick up speed fast without kick down since it was in lower gear at higher RPMS...now needs to kickdown before i can feel the power.

gear changes with paddles are crisp and fast but if just in sport mode .....above is what i experience

Just my impression
(#138)
Old
Because Racecar

Car: '08 135i
Default 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl
flashed my car and its been a few days since and here are my impressions:

-car seems to have slight hesitation from stop now...not sure whats up and it happens in all modes
-car was smoother before before flash when shifting (jerky now)
-car doesnt feel as peppy since it shifts so early....im in 4th gear by 40km/hr which makes the car feel sluggish and to get it to go any quicker i have to engage the kickdown by pressing down the pedal more. Before, from stop, the car would go and feel peppy because it wouldn't shift as early and when i give a lil more throttle, the car would pick up speed fast without kick down since it was in lower gear at higher RPMS...now needs to kickdown before i can feel the power.

gear changes with paddles are crisp and fast but if just in sport mode .....above is what i experience

Just my impression
Agree with your third point. The shift from 3rd to 4th in D happens so soon, it brings rpms below 1300rpm. Really annoying if your trying to accelerate quickly.

-'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp
-'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
-'97 318is - Daily
-'82 320i
(#139)
Old

Car: 2002 Z06
Default 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM

I just did mine last night, still trying to get use to it. In sport mode, though gears shifts do seem much faster/ crisper
(#140)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Can you flash back to OEM ? What happens when you go to the dealer for service . Are they going to revoke our warranty.
(#141)
Old

Car: 2002 Z06
Default 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Ya you can flash back if you wanted too but whats the point, its a bmw flash
(#142)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90man
I'm not completely sold on this flash...even though it was free.

This is only day 2 and I will give it some more time, but other than the quick manual shifts, everything else seems to be kinda meh, at least in my car.

1. Previously, in DS mode, my car never made it to 6th gear even up to 120. This tune will allow S6 at 70ish MPH. Sounds like a good thing, and it is, but my commuting keeps me around 65-75 all the time so I'm constantly shifting between S5 and S6. Easy fix: put in Manual or Drive.

2. Drive mode: Shifts are at LOW RPM. It's been posted you will be in 6th gear at 40mph. Believe it. I don't necessarily want to give 50%+ throttle when the engine is dead cold just to be able to safely accelerate on the main road leaving my house in the morning. A little more gear holding would be better.

3. S# mode: I find it very interesting, and a little disappointing, that when I am at say, S3 with a constant speed (like 40) and I give it some more gas it shifts to S4. This happens quite a bit and is only defeated by much more throttle or manual mode.

These are just initial thoughts. I'm still getting used to it.
Exactly like he described!
(#143)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Did the upgrade.
I was getting error 200 (could not connect). Realized I was not on the bypass map 0.
Was nervous to brick the tranny, but everything went smooth.
I like it! It shifts quicker and it's nice to know what gear we are in D or DS.
The car still has the winter storing 91 octane gas. I am about to put E85 and 94 for high boost. I will report if I find something negative. For now I don't see anything negative.
Well one thing which is the same as reported and it's a normal behavior of the automatic transmissions : (3. S# mode: I find it very interesting, and a little disappointing, that when I am at say, S3 with a constant speed (like 40) and I give it some more gas it shifts to S4. This happens quite a bit and is only defeated by much more throttle or manual mode.)

JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, E85, BMS OCC, BMS Spacers, ECS Blackout Kidney Grille.
(#144)
Old

Car: 2013 335i M Sport
Default 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Do they have an Alpina flash for the F30? One of my biggest gripes on my new car is the lack of being able to see what gear I'm in in D. Coming for a DCT 335is I got used to being able to always see my gear.
(#145)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi
Default 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Just did this flash over the weekend. I'm not a big fan of the new D mode, it feels a bit sluggish, but the S mode is

I'm going to drive it for a tank or two and see if the new D mode improve MPG. From the responses, people are saying that the new D improves MPG because it's almost always in 6 gear... at 40MPH its always in 6th for my daily commute.

I don't mind if I gain a bit of mpg in D and when I want to burn rubber, switch over to S.

We'll see in a few weeks, if I still like this flash.
(#146)
Old
nsomneeak

Car: RB E92
Default 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abistro
Just did this flash over the weekend. I'm not a big fan of the new D mode, it feels a bit sluggish, but the S mode is

I'm going to drive it for a tank or two and see if the new D mode improve MPG. From the responses, people are saying that the new D improves MPG because it's almost always in 6 gear... at 40MPH its always in 6th for my daily commute.

I don't mind if I gain a bit of mpg in D and when I want to burn rubber, switch over to S.

We'll see in a few weeks, if I still like this flash.
It definitely improves MPG if you're just puttering around with light throttle.

I had some reservations about D mode right after I flashed this, mostly due to what others have said about it being kind of clunky in the sense that it popped through the gears quickly, and then required a liberal throttle application to get going, and doing so wasn't very smooth.

I spent a bit getting used to it, but the throttle control still seems annoying. I switched to a linear throttle map (Cobb) and most of my concerns went away after a short adjustment period. Using the linear mapping I can get it going from a stop, while cold or warm, and get up to speed while holding the right gears, without having to do it by just rocketing up to speed. Same deal while cruising at speed and wanting to get going; it will get moving appropriately with the right amount of throttle alone, or using the paddles and some throttle.

I am pretty much in love with the flash now. I'm on an off the shelf Cobb S1+ map right now, so we'll see if my viewpoint changes at all once my RBs come in (is it May 10th yet????) and I get Cobb Plano to ProTune me.
(#147)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi
Default 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM

I agree that the throttle response in D mode is something lacking, I wish I can have OEM throttle response and Alphina S mode heh. I'm running JB4, is it possible to put Cobb linear throttle while still using JB4 or if there's any way to improve the throttle with JB4?
(#148)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM

I was very hesitant to do this today but I wound up biting the bullet and doing it during my lunch break. lol

I have to say I agree with everyone else about D mode, its lacking a little power, but on the other hand I think its kinda nice now. Its like I'm driving two cars...in D mode I'm driving a more luxurious car, then pop it into Sport and its a monster! Kinda like it.
(#149)
Old
IXLR8

Car: 335xi
Default 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Be sure to clear you tranny adaptations.
(#150)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.kodra
Be sure to clear you tranny adaptations.
Good call . Going to do this first thing tomorrow! Here's the reset for everyone's benefit

1) foot off accelerator, hit ignition on
2) hold accelerator down for 30 seconds
3) WHILE HOLDING ACCELERATOR hit ignition button again to turn the car off
4) once off, remove foot from accelerator.