N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1376)
Old

Car: X3 M40i
Default 08-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Oh you mean reports of the B58 code delete not working (not just with JB4, but with INPA and other tools also) with some new software update from BMW? I've yet to get a local car in here with the issue to look in to it further. If anyone has one and wants to help the cause, swing on by.
I don't know if you are still looking but I could probably stop by tomorrow as I will be driving from Santa Barbara to Orange County.

I believe this is the same issue I was emailing back and forth with you guys about a few months ago since I was "lucky" enough to be one of the first people with the software update.
(#1377)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-25-2018, 02:57 PM

If you can swing by that would be really useful so we could at least capture some data of the issue. Drop me an email terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1378)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIMPS
I don't know if you are still looking but I could probably stop by tomorrow as I will be driving from Santa Barbara to Orange County.

I believe this is the same issue I was emailing back and forth with you guys about a few months ago since I was "lucky" enough to be one of the first people with the software update.
Thanks for stopping by! Was able to get a little information from your X3 M40:

1) For some reason the DME is not responding to requests from the normal BMW diagnostic ID. Which means none of the JB4's CANbus logging is working, nor are any other BMW tools like BavTech, iCarly, etc.
2) Requests on the basic OBDII diagnostic port go through and are answered. So a special JB4 B58 firmware that migrates CANbus from BMW specific to generic OBDII is one solution here. We'd lose a few things though like cyl 2-6 logging.
3) Most customers who have the issue report JB4 data comes in fine, but the only issue they have is being unable to delete fault codes. I'm wondering how many have the issue where nothing works (intermittently) post update, to determine if #2 is a wide spread issue.
4) For those who can't delete codes, I'm wondering if the OBDII diagnostic code delete command will work. Are any of you able to clear codes with a basic OBDII reader for example?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1379)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 08-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Terry are you going to have some sort of a DME back end flash for JB4 users to run aggressive maps and blend some corn like the mission performance folks? I'm on the fence about purchasing JB4 or just going straight flash.

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#1380)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-27-2018, 10:47 PM

Terry, I'm having an issue with my jb4 setup. Car has been driving fine the last 7 months. However today when driving the car shut off on me and wouldn't start back up. I click the toggle down buttons to enter the jb4 menu and the menu comes up. But when trying to navigate theough the settings. My tachometer gets frozen and I cant exit out ir toggle anymore. I have to shut the car off and restart the process again. Any kind of help to lead me to fixing this issue is greatly appreciated!! -Anthony
(#1381)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i
Default 08-28-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:

1) For some reason the DME is not responding to requests from the normal BMW diagnostic ID. Which means none of the JB4's CANbus logging is working, nor are any other BMW tools like BavTech, iCarly, etc.
2) Requests on the basic OBDII diagnostic port go through and are answered. So a special JB4 B58 firmware that migrates CANbus from BMW specific to generic OBDII is one solution here. We'd lose a few things though like cyl 2-6 logging.
3) Most customers who have the issue report JB4 data comes in fine, but the only issue they have is being unable to delete fault codes. I'm wondering how many have the issue where nothing works (intermittently) post update, to determine if #2 is a wide spread issue.
4) For those who can't delete codes, I'm wondering if the OBDII diagnostic code delete command will work. Are any of you able to clear codes with a basic OBDII reader for example?
This is very interesting. I'm due for service and was going to have my car updated (mostly for the rev match bug) but until there is a resolution here, I'm going to hold off. Any guesses as to why they'd be migrating to this and (seemingly) only on the B58?

Please keep us posted of any updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8terant
Terry, I'm having an issue with my jb4 setup. Car has been driving fine the last 7 months. However today when driving the car shut off on me and wouldn't start back up. I click the toggle down buttons to enter the jb4 menu and the menu comes up. But when trying to navigate theough the settings. My tachometer gets frozen and I cant exit out ir toggle anymore. I have to shut the car off and restart the process again. Any kind of help to lead me to fixing this issue is greatly appreciated!! -Anthony
Any recent software updates or other hardware changes?

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere if the car has been running normally until now.

Last edited by ZTZ1010; 08-28-2018 at 05:24 AM..
(#1382)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-29-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010
This is very interesting. I'm due for service and was going to have my car updated (mostly for the rev match bug) but until there is a resolution here, I'm going to hold off. Any guesses as to why they'd be migrating to this and (seemingly) only on the B58?
I have no hard proof but it's interesting that they're making this change right around the same time hackers got in to the DME for flashing. Maybe they are blocking the flash path?

Burger Motorsports

(#1383)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 08-30-2018, 01:24 AM

Terry, am I correct in assuming that if I have a P3Cars gauge and a JB4 I should be able to run both without issue if I simply do not connect the CAN side of the JB?

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF
(#1384)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-30-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element
Terry, am I correct in assuming that if I have a P3Cars gauge and a JB4 I should be able to run both without issue if I simply do not connect the CAN side of the JB?
Yes but then the JB4 can't give you the full power tuning, has to go at it without CANbus.

Burger Motorsports

(#1385)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 08-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes but then the JB4 can't give you the full power tuning, has to go at it without CANbus.
Are there differences between Map 1/2 with and without CANbus?

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF
(#1386)
Old

Default 08-31-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:

I have the code delete and can flap isseus. Does it have Any consequences for tuning? Or Does the jb4 still has the same controle over the ECU as before the update?
(#1387)
Old

Default 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM

Just installed my JB4. Keeping it on the default map 1 until i log some map 0 and map 1 pulls. I'm on 91 octane so i think map 1 is the only hope at the moment. Hopefully i don't feel any throttle closures.

(#1388)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 08-31-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
Just installed my JB4. Keeping it on the default map 1 until i log some map 0 and map 1 pulls. I'm on 91 octane so i think map 1 is the only hope at the moment. Hopefully i don't feel any throttle closures.
I was in the same boat being in SoCal. You can either find a race gas source and do a blend to raise your total octane or you can also use Boostane/Torco. As long as you don't mind a little orange-ish soot on your exhaust, the octane boosters with MMT work. I've only used Boostane and can verify it works. With about 96 Octane, on either method, I can run map 3 with no issues. Map 5 has been a no-go even with fuel control harness. For more than map 3 you'll need WMI, which can be tough to get if you're in California as it's not legal for business to sell to us.
(#1389)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-31-2018, 08:49 PM

Map1 is a great way to go for our craptane.

Burger Motorsports

(#1390)
Old

Car: 540i G30
Default 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I was in the same boat being in SoCal. You can either find a race gas source and do a blend to raise your total octane or you can also use Boostane/Torco. As long as you don't mind a little orange-ish soot on your exhaust, the octane boosters with MMT work. I've only used Boostane and can verify it works. With about 96 Octane, on either method, I can run map 3 with no issues. Map 5 has been a no-go even with fuel control harness. For more than map 3 you'll need WMI, which can be tough to get if you're in California as it's not legal for business to sell to us.
There is Meth for sale at a lot of places here in California. It is not illegal for businesses to sell......
(#1391)
Old

Default 08-31-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedowesix
There is Meth for sale at a lot of places here in California. It is not illegal for businesses to sell......
That interesting... most I've tried will not sell in California to a California resident, BMS included. You can buy a universal setup from some, but not one made for the JB4. Essentially, that's what I was referring to. In the past they were more readily available as "race only" items. Again, only universal systems.
(#1392)
Old

Car: 540i G30
Default 08-31-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
That interesting... most I've tried will not sell in California to a California resident, BMS included. You can buy a universal setup from some, but not one made for the JB4. Essentially, that's what I was referring to. In the past they were more readily available as "race only" items. Again, only universal systems.
Oh you were referring to the WMI kit, yeah you are correct. For some reason I thought you were talking about methanol in general.
(#1393)
Old

Default 08-31-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Map1 is a great way to go for our craptane.
I was thinking about making a map 6. I just need to post logs on map 0 and 1 to see what itís really doing. I tried map 2 with just 1 pull and it hesitated towards redline assuming itís throttle closure from the c4tt3d d or timing pull from piss fuel. Maybe 2 gallons of e85 will help? Iím not sure if Iím a big fan of octane boosters.

(#1394)
Old

Car: F22 230i Xdrive
Default 09-01-2018, 06:58 AM

I know it's an ongoing process but can you provide any kind of update and advancement regarding an auto-tune map on the b48/b58 platform ?
Thanks
(#1395)
Old

Default 09-02-2018, 12:46 AM

Map 1, 2, 3 and 5 run strong. I have 2.5 gallons of corn in my tank fully topped off with 91 octane. No throttle closures or anything funky surprisingly. I have a third gear going into 4th gear log on map 5 just to make sure AFR is safe. Since then I switched to map 2 just to play it safe. I posted the graph log and attached the CSV log below.

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-01 22_48_35 (1).csv (20.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by dRDiesel; 09-02-2018 at 08:58 AM..
(#1396)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_MTL
I know it's an ongoing process but can you provide any kind of update and advancement regarding an auto-tune map on the b48/b58 platform ?
Thanks
The firmware update I'm working on at the moment is pretty cool in that it lets the JB4 independently set its absolute boost target regardless of what is set in the flash map. Previously, we could not target below the flashed boost target. For the stock flash it's OK but now that some customers are running flash maps in addition it will be a nice upgrade. Also gets boost by gear working right so you can go below the flash target in lower gears. Once that is sorted, then I envision working on the auto tuning maps.

Burger Motorsports

(#1397)
Old

Car: 2017 340i
Default 09-02-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I have been running map 5 with 91oct and Boostane for almost a year now with no issues. FF and EWG wires installed. Still tinkering with map 6.
(#1398)
Old

Default 09-02-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240zman
I have been running map 5 with 91oct and Boostane for almost a year now with no issues. FF and EWG wires installed. Still tinkering with map 6.
That's interesting... I can't run map 5 as it starts pulling timing and gets throttle closures after 3rd gear. It may be the high temps outside (105+ still during days). Also, I noticed that Map 3 without FF had better timing and felt faster. I believe I'm on the edge of the fuel limits. I'll be emailing Terry to see if I'm interpreting things correctly. Looks like my next steps are an additive like WMI.
(#1399)
Old

Default 09-02-2018, 11:43 PM

Hi Terry,

I'm currently on Map 3 and noticed when I connected the Fuel Harness it had an immediate effect on trims. Obviously the default setting are active on that map. Will the EWG harness make changes when connected? What will happen? Please advise. Thanks.
(#1400)
Old

Default 09-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Hi Terry,

I'm currently on Map 3 and noticed when I connected the Fuel Harness it had an immediate effect on trims. Obviously the default setting are active on that map. Will the EWG harness make changes when connected? What will happen? Please advise. Thanks.
Good luck getting a real straight forward answer. I been trying to figure out if the FOL setting works on the additive maps or strictly map 6 only when you install the fuel pressure pigtail and go in to make the adjustment if required.