N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1351)
Old

Car: F30 320i Xdrive LCI B48
Default 08-12-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
Any luck on this, Terry? My car is due for service and I'm holding off to see if you get things sorted. I don't want any issues after they update DME/ECU. Please advise.
Hi,
You may 1. Ask your dealer beforehand if there is an update for your car 2. Even if there is one, ask, if dealer could skip it for you

Had my visit yesterday, no update for 320ix B48
(#1352)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 08-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurZZZ
Hi,
You may 1. Ask your dealer beforehand if there is an update for your car 2. Even if there is one, ask, if dealer could skip it for you

Had my visit yesterday, no update for 320ix B48
1) Yes, there is. Already called.
2) It's mandatory as it involves a potential safety/damage concern. If I skip, they will not honor my warranty should failure occur. This isn't limited to just the specific failure if they can prove it as the root cause. Thus, it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

Back to original question... Terry, any updates on this? It appears that the JB4 still functions properly with exception of code clearance and perhaps exhaust force opening via canbus. Both don't bother me as my exhaust is custom with no valve and JB4 is on predefined maps... no codes. Can you clarify?
(#1353)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
Any luck on this, Terry? My car is due for service and I'm holding off to see if you get things sorted. I don't want any issues after they update DME/ECU. Please advise.
No, zero luck finding a local car with the issue. Sorry! The wait continues.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1354)
Old

Default 08-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
No, zero luck finding a local car with the issue. Sorry! The wait continues.
I'm not that local, but if an issue arises... maybe we can work something out. I'm only a few hours or so away from you guys. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the update.
(#1355)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Sounds good.. Hopefully someone locally has the issue and can swing by so we can figure out what the deal is.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1356)
Old

Default 08-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds good.. Hopefully someone locally has the issue and can swing by so we can figure out what the deal is.
So far as I've read, it seems to be hindering code clearing only. Has it had any issues with the JB4 tuning?
(#1357)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 08-16-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, working on adjusting map4 to a "low boost" valet map. Fun for when letting your friends borrow the car or you want to save gas.

If anyone has time to help test it out drop me an email!
Sorry for the delay on this Terry, but here's a decent run/log w/ v10. I can definitely feel the difference on Map 4 - there is some boost/spool, but it's much lower. I think it might be possible to even tune it down further, depending on what your goals are, and have it still feel "ok."

I'll also second the call for a Map 8 "stock-tune-only-with-gauges" since I have a custom Map 6 and don't want to always change the values there. Basically the v8/v9 Map 4 behavior.

thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180816_1012_v10_Map4.csv (24.9 KB, 43 views)

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#1358)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 08-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
Sorry for the delay on this Terry, but here's a decent run/log w/ v10. I can definitely feel the difference on Map 4 - there is some boost/spool, but it's much lower. I think it might be possible to even tune it down further, depending on what your goals are, and have it still feel "ok."

I'll also second the call for a Map 8 "stock-tune-only-with-gauges" since I have a custom Map 6 and don't want to always change the values there. Basically the v8/v9 Map 4 behavior.

thanks!
Why not just keep the maps consistent with other engines are keep Map 4 as-is an create a Map 8 "valet map"? Seems too simple to me

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#1359)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Map4 looks good so far, less than 1/2 the factory boost.

The current plan is to make map4 the valet map for all applications. It doubles as the safety map, and for those running back end flash maps we want the safety lower than the flash target. Map8 is normally the meth map. And map7 is normally the race gas map. On models like the N55 and B58 the tach only goes to 7000rpm so that is also a factor, whatever is on map8 will only be able to be selected via your phone.

On the B58 the flashing stuff is new so once we have the tools to make good BEF maps we'll add more options like a BEF mode setting, which then rearranges how all the maps work. But for what you guys are doing right now what is wrong with map0 again? It logs if you fire up JB4 mobile. What if we just setup map0 so gauges are also active IF OBDII is left in, and if OBDII is removed then CANbus is fully disabled?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1360)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
But for what you guys are doing right now what is wrong with map0 again? It logs if you fire up JB4 mobile. What if we just setup map0 so gauges are also active IF OBDII is left in, and if OBDII is removed then CANbus is fully disabled?
Works for me. I think I had read somewhere that JB4 defaults to Map1 if the OBDII is unplugged but that may be false... you are obviously the authoritative source on that, so just let us know. As long as Map0 works with both the plug in and out, I think that's a fine solution.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#1361)
Old
Legend

Default 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Yes, I am all for redoing the maps on all platforms to be more consistent. Having Map 0 work like you described is totally fine with me, too.

I also have a question regarding when the OBD cable is unplugged. If the JB4 is already in Map 0, does it stay in Map 0? From my experience, it does.

So does the "Stage 1" functionality of being unplugged only apply when the JB4 was in a non-stock map?

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#1362)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
Works for me. I think I had read somewhere that JB4 defaults to Map1 if the OBDII is unplugged but that may be false... you are obviously the authoritative source on that, so just let us know. As long as Map0 works with both the plug in and out, I think that's a fine solution.
If on map1+ then it reverts to a non-CANbus version of map1 like a Stage1 tune. If it's on map0 it disables all together.

Burger Motorsports

(#1363)
Old
Legend

Default 08-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Sounds good!

(#1364)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If on map1+ then it reverts to a non-CANbus version of map1 like a Stage1 tune. If it's on map0 it disables all together.
cool. Then your proposal to enable gauges for map0 while plugged in works for me too!

(#1365)
Old
Legend

Default 08-17-2018, 05:35 PM

How would we be able to spray meth with a DME flash boost target? Right now we can do that on Map 4.

(#1366)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2018, 07:31 PM

If using meth do you want a meth safety based on flow? So boost drops IF meth drops? Or you just want to turn it on (e.g. spray and pray)?

Burger Motorsports

(#1367)
Old
Legend

Default 08-17-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If using meth do you want a meth safety based on flow? So boost drops IF meth drops? Or you just want to turn it on (e.g. spray and pray)?
I'm all for safety. If you can integrate a meth safety feature into a "non-meth map", go for it. But I would just ask for a toggle on/off for the safety feature like there is on the current meth maps. If it's too complicated, then don't worry about it and spray and pray is fine.

(#1368)
Old

Car: 120i
Default 08-19-2018, 12:07 AM

Ideally, the METH setting are independent of the MAP setting.

Can you can add user control of the METH safety boost reduction, for example I might want to have boost target reduced by 3 PSI, or someone may want 5 PSI reduction with really aggressive tune, if set to 0 then it is disabled.

I have been running MAP 7 with METH, I will get my car flashed next week, I will likely want to run MAP 6 after flash?, but I still want to use JB4 as meth control, and do not want to be limited by the map setting as to how I can use JB4 as a meth controller. What if I want to run flashed DME boost but with METH, in that case I run MAP 6 with all 0's that should give me stock or flash 'ed boost level? But then I lose METH safety right? So if I want to still have METH safety my only option is MAP 7 but will need to so how that profile overlays with my flash and hope for the best?
(#1369)
Old
Legend

Default 08-19-2018, 08:30 AM

I keep forgetting we can run Map 6 with targets of 0.0. That should allow us to spray meth, with a safety, then kick to the safety map is something goes wrong (i.e. run out of meth flow, etc.).

(#1370)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Yes we have a lot of possible options, just need to get a better grasp on what you're trying to do to select the "best" way to do it.

Burger Motorsports

(#1371)
Old

Car: 2016 340i Msport
Default 08-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Hi... I'm getting ready to move to Europe, and I'm taking my 2016 340i msport with me.

Remember when the jb4 automatically cleared codes and you never saw a CEL unless something "actually" went wrong? Now I have to clear codes every time I start the car (which often takes several attempts to connect via bluetooth). From what I understand, this mandatory update about a year ago was a legal requirement for cars in the US.

Now that may car isn't going to be in the US anymore.... can I re-use the older maps that didnt require clearing codes after every startup?

2016 340i MPPSK, alpine white/coral red
JB4, BMS intake, ER cstless **
Bavsound 14speaker H/K upgrade
SWS8 subs
(#1372)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Outside the USA, you can then use the "passive delete" option on the WMI page.

Burger Motorsports

(#1373)
Old

Default 08-19-2018, 01:44 PM

There is no such option on the WMI settings

SWS8 subs
(#1374)
Old
Legend

Default 08-19-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefourteener
There is no such option on the WMI settings
I believe it shows up once the app detects that you are physically outside of the U.S. What location are you at when attempting to connect to the car?

(#1375)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 01:21 AM

I'm still in the US now. My car goes on a boat this Friday, and should be arriving in Belgium in about a month.

So I won't need to download a new (or older) map, it will detect that I'm outside the US automatically?

SWS8 subs