N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default N54 Intercooler options help - 01-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Hey guys I been looking into intercoolers for my car since I just got my Vrsf No ***'s ***** and I wanted to know whats a good bolt on intercooler for my 2011 335is.Im on a budget since Im a broke university student lmfao. Is it necessary to replace the jpipe? and piping to throttle body? i already have a CP-E charge pipe. Im looking at 5 inch cores since I do not want to do alot of trimming. im considering VRSF BMS Mostly will spend the money if its necessary

Last edited by 335is_march; 01-17-2019 at 10:21 AM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is_march
Hey guys I been looking into intercoolers for my car since I just got my Vrsf No ***'s ***** and I wanted to know whats a good bolt on intercooler for my 2011 335is.Im on a budget since Im a broke university student lmfao. Is it necessary to replace the jpipe? and piping to throttle body? i already have a CP-E charge pipe. Im looking at 5 inch cores since I do not want to do alot of trimming.
Best bang for your buck & performance:

BMS BMW N54 N55 Intercooler Upgrade | BurgerTuning.com

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Our E chassis standard core is the perfect option for you. Best quality for the lowest price. You don't need to replace the lower J pipe.

BMS BMW N54 N55 Intercooler Upgrade | BurgerTuning.com

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM

+1!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is_march
Hey guys I been looking into intercoolers for my car since I just got my Vrsf No ***'s ***** and I wanted to know whats a good bolt on intercooler for my 2011 335is.Im on a budget since Im a broke university student lmfao. Is it necessary to replace the jpipe? and piping to throttle body? i already have a CP-E charge pipe. Im looking at 5 inch cores since I do not want to do alot of trimming. im considering VRSF BMS Mostly will spend the money if its necessary

I'm installing the recommended BMS one shortly.

I'm not sure what PSI you run, but I'm at 15 PSI and looking to push 20 PSI in the spring, and expect this to keep the IATs healthy.

The job looks pretty easy too. No trimming.

If you start comparing - look at fin density, the fold angles, the surface area they contact. BMS is very sweet.

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
TUNE: JB4 Map 1 | PUMP BEF | 94 Octane | @15 PSI
BMS: JB4 | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020
RB PCV Valve

Pending Install:
BMS WMI

Maintenance:
2018, Q2 - Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019, Q1 - Valve Cover Gasket | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Manually scrubbed Intake Ports w/ CRC Valve & Turbo Cleaner
(#6)
Old
*Rollin 3rd*

Car: E93 335i
Default 01-17-2019, 11:06 AM

If I had any advice to offer it would be to make sure to choose one to satisfy not just current but future cooling/power goals. Don't cap yourself with your IC unless you plan to run meth.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Psssssst. E60 intercooler........
(#8)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Did you notice a difference with the BMS inter cooler? Also for $30 why would you not get the J pipe. Are the disadvantages of not having it?
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorbubba010
Did you notice a difference with the BMS inter cooler? Also for $30 why would you not get the J pipe. Are the disadvantages of not having it?
It was a huge difference for me IMO. The car would feel much more consistent pull after pull, with no signs of heat soak what so ever. Can't get anything better for the price and quality!

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM

IMO I would saved up the extra money and get the BMS Race/J pipe....future proof yourself

I went from ARM 7” - Not a Fan of OEM couplers, VRSF 7” Standard, to VRSF 7” HD, if I would do it all over again I would just save the extra money and get BMS Race or VRSF 7.5”, once you drop the front bumper trimming is very easy to do (multitool from harbor freight cuts the plastic with ease and cheap 20$) dropping front bumper takes 15-20mins

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2019, 08:07 AM

+1

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 04-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynpunch
IMO I would saved up the extra money and get the BMS Race/J pipe....future proof yourself

I went from ARM 7” - Not a Fan of OEM couplers, VRSF 7” Standard, to VRSF 7” HD, if I would do it all over again I would just save the extra money and get BMS Race or VRSF 7.5”, once you drop the front bumper trimming is very easy to do (multitool from harbor freight cuts the plastic with ease and cheap 20$) dropping front bumper takes 15-20mins
I went with ARM 7" and hose upgrade because we had already started developing a solution for e60 fitment, and ARM was giving me a one-off 7" for very cheap. I think for both BMS and ARM you can use OEM couplers OR 3" silicone without airflow restriction. If I were to do it all over again, I would have strongly considered the BMS 5" (great value).

OP - we share the same plight. I would advise my college-aged self to find the simplest solution, one that does not require spending time and money to go pick up a HF rotary cutter, some other hardware etc. I would also prefer to have the option of oem couplers or silicone so I could upgrade in the future. Speaking from recent experience- I bought the CX Racing fmic bc it was cheap and ended up spending more in hardware and random tools than the difference to a good fmic. So I say BMS 5". It seems like everyone here expects you'll go bigger turbos and dont want to be capped, but do you think you'll do turbos? Since the G80 is coming out, you might finish college and get yourself a f80?
(#13)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-09-2019, 11:26 PM

200$ - additional for Race Version
30$ - J pipe
20$ - Multitool

250$ more / 15 min drive to HF / additional 30 mins R&R front bumper
Future Proof

Not being an ass but if 250$ is gonna break the bank then it’s not time to modify...hold off till you have the money, but if you have the itch....scratch it!!! Good Luck with your purchase!

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#14)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 04-10-2019, 06:10 AM

^ I would agree on principle but even I cant follow my own advice! Since these cars are getting super cheap, the market is a little different. 500 for an i/c is more than reasonable if it bolts up in 30 min, e60 was more difficult. OP if you have a meal plan I say do it lol

535i E60 6MT: VTT Wastegate Fix / BMS DCI / No name Dpipes & CP / ARM 7" FMIC & Hose Upgrade / VRSF Inlets
C5 A6 2.7T 6MT