N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i
Default High Trims on low throttle input: Full E85/Map 7/PI/E85BEF - 04-03-2019, 08:57 PM

I was running great on full E85 map 7 PI E85 BEF, until I wasn't. The first log was from a month ago after I put in port injection with full E85 and got everything tuned in, everything looked good. Next 2 logs show the maxed out fuel trims under low throttle input.

I had an oil filter housing gasket leak(took off the intake and PI while doing that to clean everything up and look for any other leaks) and replaced the oil filter housing gasket and drove for a day or 2 then went out of town for a week.

When I got back in town I noticed that my Trims were high after a small stumble in the engine. They were also uneven with bank 2 seeming to be higher on average. I was getting O2 sensor signal codes. I believe this is due to always having trims max out under in traffic around town slight throttle input. The type of throttle input that makes the RPM go up but does not tell the HPFP to go any higher than 5(5 is the normal no throttle input on JB4 log.)

I have taken out the plugs and gapped them to .018" again. They all looked fairly good with some looking a little leaner than others but nothing that looked like long term incorrect fueling.

I just took off the PI and intake manifold tonight and cleaned the ORings flipped them all and reinstalled taking a lot of time to tighten them all down in very small increments. I thought maybe a vacuum leak through the intake could be causing it to go lean.

It looks like the trims may be a little more even now but I am still seeing maxed or higher than normal fuel trims.

Could the full E85 be causing the issue at very low throttle input since the HPFP is not supplying more pressure in this case and obviously the PI is not kicking since I am under 3000 rpm?

Obviously, the HPFP could be the issue or a faulty injector but the HPFP has been replaced about 20k ago and the new index 12 injectors have less than 10k on them.

Any wisdom would be very appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-19 07_55_20_Map-7.csv (20.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: csv 2019-04-02 08_11_33_Map-7.csv (239.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: csv 2019-04-02 20_41_29_Map-7.csv (15.9 KB, 63 views)

09 135i N54|JB4 G5|BMS PI Cont|BEF Hybrid PI E85 +0.1 Fuel Scalar|Pure Stage 2 Hi-Flow Turbos|NGK 97506|Fuel 85% Ethanol|BM-Parts PI 750cc|Dual Walbro 450LPFP Bucket|Ethanol Sensor|3/8" Fuel Line|Stett Dual Oil Cooler|VRSF Relo Inlets|Active Autoworks7" FMIC|VRSF CP|HKS SSQ BOV|Agency Down & Mids|BMS Cowl Filter|MFactory LSD|JE Piston Heads|SPEC STG 3 Spr 6|ACT Pressure Plate|SPEC Single Mass Alum Flywheel|COBB Sway Bars|Ohlins Coilover 400/600|CAR BLOG
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJoosten
I was running great on full E85 map 7 PI E85 BEF, until I wasn't. The first log was from a month ago after I put in port injection with full E85 and got everything tuned in, everything looked good. Next 2 logs show the maxed out fuel trims under low throttle input.

I had an oil filter housing gasket leak(took off the intake and PI while doing that to clean everything up and look for any other leaks) and replaced the oil filter housing gasket and drove for a day or 2 then went out of town for a week.

When I got back in town I noticed that my Trims were high after a small stumble in the engine. They were also uneven with bank 2 seeming to be higher on average. I was getting O2 sensor signal codes. I believe this is due to always having trims max out under in traffic around town slight throttle input. The type of throttle input that makes the RPM go up but does not tell the HPFP to go any higher than 5(5 is the normal no throttle input on JB4 log.)

I have taken out the plugs and gapped them to .018" again. They all looked fairly good with some looking a little leaner than others but nothing that looked like long term incorrect fueling.

I just took off the PI and intake manifold tonight and cleaned the ORings flipped them all and reinstalled taking a lot of time to tighten them all down in very small increments. I thought maybe a vacuum leak through the intake could be causing it to go lean.

It looks like the trims may be a little more even now but I am still seeing maxed or higher than normal fuel trims.

Could the full E85 be causing the issue at very low throttle input since the HPFP is not supplying more pressure in this case and obviously the PI is not kicking since I am under 3000 rpm?

Obviously, the HPFP could be the issue or a faulty injector but the HPFP has been replaced about 20k ago and the new index 12 injectors have less than 10k on them.

Any wisdom would be very appreciated.
When you took the manifold / rail out- did you happen to inspect your PI injectors?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-04-2019, 05:02 AM

I did not take apart the PI Rail. I will try that. Thanks Dave.

09 135i N54|JB4 G5|BMS PI Cont|BEF Hybrid PI E85 +0.1 Fuel Scalar|Pure Stage 2 Hi-Flow Turbos|NGK 97506|Fuel 85% Ethanol|BM-Parts PI 750cc|Dual Walbro 450LPFP Bucket|Ethanol Sensor|3/8" Fuel Line|Stett Dual Oil Cooler|VRSF Relo Inlets|Active Autoworks7" FMIC|VRSF CP|HKS SSQ BOV|Agency Down & Mids|BMS Cowl Filter|MFactory LSD|JE Piston Heads|SPEC STG 3 Spr 6|ACT Pressure Plate|SPEC Single Mass Alum Flywheel|COBB Sway Bars|Ohlins Coilover 400/600|CAR BLOG
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-05-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJoosten
I did not take apart the PI Rail. I will try that. Thanks Dave.
Sounds good.

Also- donít flip the gaskets, Iíd probably get new oem gaskets too

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-05-2019, 06:38 AM

I did not take apart the PI. But I do think I had a leak on the intake manifold that I fixed because the banks are balanced now. I reset all the fuel adaptation options with MHD and that didn't seem to help. Then I got out the Rheingold and reset the fuel adaptations and codes through there. Set Open Loop to 0 and FF to 120. Turned off all the PI and went and put 93 octane in the tank. Took me down to E35. Everything now looks great no on map 5, banks are balanced and Trims look good. I am driving around on map 5 just to make sure everything looks good. Once I can fill up with E85 I will go back to map 7.

Does Open Loop at 0 turn off the autoscaling of it?
When I took the first map above, which to me looked great. above good map I was at 0 on open loop and and 125 FF.

Does Map 7 actually support Full E85?
Or am I kidding myself that it can supply enough fuel on the low end?

I have not enabled the PI settings yet.

Hopefully my dip in on trims will revert back to the below 40 range where it was before.

(#6)
Old

Default 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Running in map 7 with PI on and E85_ Hybrid_PI BEF on full E85. I have tweaked the Fuel Scalar by +0.1 on the entire table and fuel pressure by +1 on the low end basically changed 5 psi to 6 psi.

Everything was running good pulls look strong. last time I had a code was 4/11 then got the following
codes on 4/24.
2C7C Lambda probe behind catalytic converter 2, signal
2E9F Oil condition sensor

Then 4/26 8:12am
2C7C Lambda probe behind catalytic converter 2,signal
2C32 Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter 2, trimming control
2C6A No description found
2C6B Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, system check

Cleared codes

Then tonight 4/26 19:16
2C32 Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter 2, trimming control
2C6B Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, system check

I only have the in front of kitties anyways.
But now my bank 2 trims are rich when just driving normal and bank 1 looks fine.
I can disable the behind *** codes on the flash but are they causing the in front of codes and throwing my trims adaptations that far out of wack?

I have included 3 logs. One before the codes on 4/23 then a 4/24 and 4/26 as things progressively get worse.

I feel like the DME is playing tricks on me.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-04-23 07_56_33_Map-7.csv (32.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: csv 2019-04-24 08_04_51_Map-7.csv (18.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv 2019-04-26 17_33_55_Map-7.csv (10.0 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by AJoosten; 04-26-2019 at 07:46 PM..