JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2105 BMW 435i M Sport
Default Drivetrain Malfunction.. Car not driving anymore - 02-05-2022, 05:17 PM

Hey guys,

So this morning I updated my JB4 and when I got into my car everything was fine (as far as I can remember). I had bought it from a guy online and it was the old firmware, a BMW F N55 PWG, so I chose to update it to BMW F N55 with EWG (mine is a 2015 BMW 435i with only 36k miles).

During the update process at the very end, my car automatically turned off the electronics (I wasn’t playing any music etc), so the update failed. It was at that point, that I got a drivetrain malfunction warning pop up.
I did the update again and this time it completed it, but the DM warning persisted. The car was rattling upon starting and I drove to the gym with reduced power.

I realized I had also put about 4l (25%) of E85 in my car for the first time a week ago. So I thought perhaps it didn’t properly mix and that was causing it and since the tank was half empty, on my way to the gym I refilled it with Premium gas.

Worked out and came back, hoping that it had reset the engine.
But it was much worse I couldn’t even leave the garage, the car kept stalling and the engine turning off (basically dying like not enough gas was coming through to keep the car running). It got worse and worse, to the point the car would turn off right when starting and not even really turn on anymore.

I read the codes with my OBD (see attached photo)

Do you have any idea what could cause this?
I called a mechanic and he said the behavior of the car would indicate it is something other than the E85 (which shouldn’t cause issues in the first place, the spark plugs or ignition coils).

I would love to fix this without having my car towed and bringing it to the mechanic which will cost me a **** ton.

I had to leave my car in a parking garage in downtown and need to tow it by tomorrow or Monday morning at the latest, so any speedy help / ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!

Till
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2105 BMW 435i M Sport
Default 02-05-2022, 05:31 PM

Here's what I found online so far regarding the codes..
It makes me think it has something to do with the E85 after all? Mostly also because of the timing..

P0238 Code - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor 'A' Circuit High

P0238 code possible causes
Faulty Boost Pressure Sensor
Boost Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
Boost Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Engine over temperature

How is the P0238 code repair?
Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

What is the cost to diagnose the P0238 code?
Labor: 1.0
The cost to diagnose the P0238 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.

What are P0238 code possible symptoms?
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

What is P0238 code meaning?
The Boost Pressure Sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. This pressure is created by the turbocharger and changes with Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) and engine speed. The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses this information to assist in the diagnosis of the Barometric Pressure (BARO) sensor and to provide engine over-boost protection. The boost pressure sensor has a 5-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. The ECM supplies 5 volts to the boost pressure sensor on the 5-volt reference 2 circuit and provides a ground on a low reference circuit. The boost pressure sensor provides a signal to the ECM on a signal circuit relative to the pressure changes. The ECM monitors the boost pressure sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range. The ECM calculates a predicted value for the boost pressure sensor. The ECM then compares the predicted value to the actual signal. This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0238 will set if the boost pressure sensor signal is above the predicted range.

P0108 BMW Code - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Sensor

|P0108 BMW code possible causes
Faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Barometric Pressure Sensor
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

|How is the P0108 BMW code repair?
Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

|What is the cost to diagnose the P0108 BMW code
The cost to diagnose the P0108 BMW code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.

|What are P0108 BMW code possible symptoms?

|What is P0108 BMW code meaning?
The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is used to monitor engine load by sampling the depression in the inlet manifold. At idle speed, a large depression will exist because the throttle valve is in the idle load position and the cylinders of the engine act like an air pump against a restriction. A larger depression exists during over-run conditions because the throttle is in the idle load position and the engine speed is high. The inlet manifold depression disappears when the throttle is snapped open and the inlet manifold pressure is approximately equal to atmospheric pressure. A larger depression exists during over-run conditions because the throttle is in the idle load position and the engine speed is high.
The signal from the MAP sensor can be used for calculating the fuel injection quantity, rate of ignition advance or retard, boost pressure control, and idle speed control.
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) when the output from the manifold absolute pressure sensor is not as expected.

P0087 Code - Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low

|P0087 code possible causes
Faulty fuel pressure sensor
Faulty fuel pump
Fuel pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
Fuel pressure sensor electrical circuit poor connection
Blocked fuel filter
Fuel line restricted
Faulty fuel pressure regulator

|How is the P0087 code repair?

|What is the cost to diagnose the P0087 code
The cost to diagnose the P0087 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.

|What are P0087 code possible symptoms?

|What is P0087 code meaning?
This fault code is stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) when the fuel pressure is not as expected. Normally manufacturers will support data parameters for actual and desired fuel pressure. When there is a conflict the Engine Control Module stores a fault code.
A number of issues may cause this fault code to be set such as a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor, a mechanical fault with the inlet metering valve or rail pressure control solenoid could cause the valve to become stuck. An electrical fault such as an open circuit in the inlet metering valve or fuel pressure control solenoid on a system with a normally closed valve will also cause this situation. A short circuit on the control wire of a normally open inlet metering valve will also cause this fault.
A fault in the fuel injector return system causes the fuel pressure to be lower than expected. This causes fuel from the high-pressure circuit to be leaked back to the low-pressure circuit. A faulty maximum pressure relief valve will also cause this situation.
The high-pressure pump should also be tested to ensure it is capable of delivering the required volume of fuel.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 02-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Sounds like you flashed EWG firmware on to a PWG board...that's likely your issue. You'll need to get the correct JB4 for your application.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.