N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#4751)
Old

Car: 16 Infiniti Q50 3.0t AWD
Default 11-05-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serstylz2

Also @Lonmon you are way too smart to misspell INFINITI lol!
Oops! My bad, lol! Agreed about the driving experience and the BOV's. That will be one of the last things I do even though I love the sound due to the expense. It will most likely interfere if I decide to do a WMI kit and I don't like that they dont have a BOV kit that returns back since that can cause some overly rich conditions venting metered air back to the atmosphere. That just would bother me. Lol.

Last edited by Lonmon; 11-05-2019 at 07:30 AM..
(#4752)
Old

Car: q50
Default 11-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Does your friend who has the AMS intakes also have an AMS tune? Haven't seen many with AMS intakes an no tune.

Q50 Premium RWD
BMS JB4 w/ FW & WMI
Post turbo stuff lol, Y pipe, Mid pipe
BMS HE
(#4753)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 08:05 AM

He is tuned by Btuned. We will be doing a straight swap with no tuning changes for testing to make sure the test is fair. Honestly he may have mentioned when he initially put it on that some changes to the tune were made so I will have to ask him about that. Our plan was to dyno the car back to back only changing the intake and not the tune to see only gains (or losses) from the intake itself. While changing the tune with the intake could result in skewed results, it still implies a gain from the intake if the tune required change from increased air flow. It may also mean that the intake is useless without a tune for us JB4 guys.
(#4754)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Yup, makes sense. Very few have done an intake on this platform with a tune and didn't experience some type of driveability issues at one point or another.

Q50 Premium RWD
BMS JB4 w/ FW & WMI
BMS HE
(#4755)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 11-05-2019, 09:12 AM

For what’s its worth - I have had the BMS CAI w/ inlets from nearly day one they were available. To date - zero drivability issues unlike a number of fellow VR30 folks who tried the Stillen CAI moons ago and had multiple issues.

2017 Q50 Premium RWD
  • BMS JB4 w/ Fuel Wires
  • BMS CAI w/ Inlets
  • BMS WMI w/ PM8s
  • AMS HE w/ Aux Tank
  • AMS LPFP
  • AMS Flex Fuel Kit
  • AMS LDP
  • FI Res CBE
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Last edited by jrobohm; 11-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Typo
(#4756)
Old

Car: 2019 Q50 Luxe
Default 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM

I don't know if it's due to the intakes, but every time i drive my car, the first time I go WOT, I get some sputtering and turbo hiccups, then each WOT moment afterwards it's fine. It's like the turbo/MAF has to adjust each time. I blamed it originally on the fact that the stock inlet on the passenger side is bent/crushed a bit going into the MAF housing due to the angle but now I have no idea if it's even intake related. It does make me want the inlets though.

2019 Q50 Luxe RWD *JB4 with Fuel Wires*BMS Intakes*AMS Downers*Frozen Boost 101*Megan Y Pipe
423 whp, 450 tq at 16.8psi with E30/JB4/FW/Intakes
12.68 @113mph @2700 DA, 38% humidity, terrible tires
0-60 4.48
(#4757)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
For whats its worth - I have had the BMS CAI w/ inlets from nearly day one they were available. To date - zero drivability issues unlike a number of fellow VR30 folks who tried the Stillen CAI moons ago and had multiple issues.
Glad to hear some aren't having issues

Q50 Premium RWD
BMS JB4 w/ FW & WMI
BMS HE
(#4758)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serstylz2
I don't know if it's due to the intakes, but every time i drive my car, the first time I go WOT, I get some sputtering and turbo hiccups, then each WOT moment afterwards it's fine. It's like the turbo/MAF has to adjust each time. I blamed it originally on the fact that the stock inlet on the passenger side is bent/crushed a bit going into the MAF housing due to the angle but now I have no idea if it's even intake related. It does make me want the inlets though.
You should try to get a log of it. Something should show up in the log. I would also make sure the requested boost from 2k to 4k is not ramped more then a pound at a time. I see aggressively ramped boost causing pulses in power on a lot of the dynos posted with the Jb4 (even some of Terrys) in these areas. I kept lowering my 2-4k boost requests until my curve smoothed out and went from asking for 5psi down to 0 till the curve was much better. I believe you can start with 1psi and add one at a time till 4k with out issue by looking at my logs since I changed to that but haven't had time to verify it on the dyno yet. When I had it too aggressive it felt like power was surging back and forth till 4-5krpm. It did not feel like detonation, just power surging.
(#4759)
Old

Car: Q50 RS
Default Log analysis - 11-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Hey yall,

I have two logs Id like to get some feedback on. Both are on map 6. One was with the fuel wire setting on and one with it off. Both were 3rd gear pulls.

2017 q50 RS400
Mods are the JB4, 2.5 LPDs, 2.5 CBE, and BOVs.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-05 fuel wires on Map-6.csv (6.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2019-11-05 fuel wires off Map-6.csv (8.4 KB, 5 views)
(#4760)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 08:21 PM

The logs with the fuel wires on look much better to me. Timing looks good, afr is much better all the way to the end of the run. I would taper the boost in 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4, etc. personally. The curve seems to come in smoother from my experience and it really can't make more boost then the factory map that low anyway. If you look at the log you are requesting +3.5 and you are only making a couple psi total since the turbos can't spool that much under 3k. After 3k then the turbos spool and you can make over factory with your request.
(#4761)
Old

Car: Q50 RS
Default 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon
The logs with the fuel wires on look much better to me. Timing looks good, afr is much better all the way to the end of the run. I would taper the boost in 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4, etc. personally. The curve seems to come in smoother from my experience and it really can't make more boost then the factory map that low anyway. If you look at the log you are requesting +3.5 and you are only making a couple psi total since the turbos can't spool that much under 3k. After 3k then the turbos spool and you can make over factory with your request.
Thanks! i'll be editing my map 6 settings according to your suggestions.
(#4762)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Does anyone have any dyno numbers to back up the turbo inlets? I've been thinking about adding these but haven't seen much data on them.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#4763)
Old

Default 11-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
Does anyone have any dyno numbers to back up the turbo inlets? I've been thinking about adding these but haven't seen much data on them.
I actually just ordered them to do this. After pouring over a lot of intake related data I believe any gains we have seen on bolt on cars have come from the inlets and not really the intakes themselves. Almost every intake test I have seen, even on bolt on cars when the tests were back to back either lost hp or was basically even with the stock intake. The AMS (which has inlets included) seems to make some in places, I believe the Burger may with the inlets. As much as I would like some cool wooshy noises, I just don't want to take a chance on making less power for them at the cost of $300-500. The Burger inlets (and thank you Burger for offering them by themselves) are only $100 and I believe to be the real source of any gains. I am going to do some back to back tests on the dyno with them after they come in next week. I may have to wait for a weekend when my buddies schedule is cleared up to let me use his dyno for a couple hours. I will come back and show my findings for everyone. My car is probably a pretty good representation on your typical lightly modded bolt on car running extra boost.
(#4764)
Old

Default 11-06-2019, 08:18 PM

I'll be watching for this. Perfect timing!

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#4765)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 11-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Inlets - Check post #3231 for a write up

2017 Q50 Premium RWD
  • BMS JB4 w/ Fuel Wires
  • BMS CAI w/ Inlets
  • BMS WMI w/ PM8s
  • AMS HE w/ Aux Tank
  • AMS LPFP
  • AMS Flex Fuel Kit
  • AMS LDP
  • FI Res CBE
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
(#4766)
Old

Default 11-06-2019, 08:33 PM

I read that earlier and it does have some promising and positive info. It is just missing dyno numbers from a back to back test. The performance figures and other info while helpful will be more so when backed up with some compared dyno sheets. Thanks for taking the time to find it and guide us to it!

2016 Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
JB4 W/fuel wires Map 6 custom
E20ish mix made 413whp 410wtq (17-18psi peak)
(#4767)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-06-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon
I actually just ordered them to do this. After pouring over a lot of intake related data I believe any gains we have seen on bolt on cars have come from the inlets and not really the intakes themselves. Almost every intake test I have seen, even on bolt on cars when the tests were back to back either lost hp or was basically even with the stock intake. The AMS (which has inlets included) seems to make some in places, I believe the Burger may with the inlets. As much as I would like some cool wooshy noises, I just don't want to take a chance on making less power for them at the cost of $300-500. The Burger inlets (and thank you Burger for offering them by themselves) are only $100 and I believe to be the real source of any gains. I am going to do some back to back tests on the dyno with them after they come in next week. I may have to wait for a weekend when my buddies schedule is cleared up to let me use his dyno for a couple hours. I will come back and show my findings for everyone. My car is probably a pretty good representation on your typical lightly modded bolt on car running extra boost.
They are a bit of a PITA to install but I think its worth it, although inlets+intake is a lot more fun as you get the awesome look and sound to go with the power.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4768)
Old

Default 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Was there any power gains with the intake though? I thought I remember reading or seeing there was no gain. Sorry if I'm incorrect. My memory is leaving me....

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#4769)
Old

Default 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM

What was a little frustrating about the testing that was done was that they tested the Burger intake without the inlets on a stock car at stock boost. They also did not show the curve to see if there were any gains under peak hp/tq. The intake may have not picked up peak power but it may have allowed power to carry higher toward the redline. We will not know until someone does better testing. I will also say the Burger retained power within one hp of the stock intake where all the others lost more. The testing I saw even on the AMS intakes on a modded car with extra boost and tune did not pick up power at peak but did show gains under the curve as mentioned. So far what I have learned from the info we have available to us is that if you are only looking to pick up peak power, the intakes available are not a great investment. If you want the cool look and sound of the intakes, and or will be modding your car substantially to need higher flow then go for it. Inlets from Burger may be a way of gaining a few hp and smoother boost build up without the expense. You can always add the intake later if you want the look and wooshy noises.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#4770)
Old

Default 11-07-2019, 11:39 AM

@Lonmon hope you stick around, appreciate your presence in this thread. You and @ddnspider push me to keep learning this platform

2019 Q50 Luxe RWD *JB4 with Fuel Wires*BMS Intakes*AMS Downers*Frozen Boost 101*Megan Y Pipe
0-60 4.48
(#4771)
Old

Default 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I have been modding turbo cars for over 20yrs and repairing cars is my business. I really have been amazed by this platform and am excited to see it grow and the capabilities of the JB4 expand. I know I have been posting a lot lately, hopefully nobody thinks I'm trying to hog up the attention. Lol. I just finished reading through all 4000+ posts in this thread and felt I finally knew enough with my experiences to start posting to help people. I will keep up with it as long as I have time and stick with this platform. I also have extensive experience with DSM, and the Mustang Coyote platforms.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#4772)
Old

Car: q50 ss
Default 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM

hi Terry,,can you give some feedback(im on map 6)? my car is q50 SS. everything stock except lower down pipe, only running 91 octane.
Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-05-17 02_10_31_Map-6.csv (14.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by antonio74123; 11-08-2019 at 03:05 PM..
(#4773)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio74123
hi Terry,,can you give some feedback(im on map 6)? my car is q50 SS. everything stock except lower down pipe, only running 91 octane.
Thank you!
Would need a longer run, this is too short to see much useful.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4774)
Old

Car: q50 ss
Default 11-08-2019, 03:38 PM

ok,,ill get longer data. btw thank you!
(#4775)
Old

Default 11-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Can someone confirm the default Duty bias setting is zero across all RPMs? For some reason I had a 7 in one of the fields when I was taking a look just now

0-60 4.48