N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: BMW 435i m-sport
Default 07-31-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc
Yes. Connect to the JB4 and go to that menu to the bits/options. Enable 6.

I am afraid I cannot comment on the steering wheel controls. I have never used them, I have only ever used the app for settings changes.

Also turn on the 6 cyl timing logging.

While you are at it, can you take screen shots of all your JB4 settings? That would be helpful.

Plus new logs.
Very good, I should get that done in a bit (pun intended). It just started raining so I'll wait for that to pass. In regards to the 6 cyl timing logging, one, what is that, and two, what number would I put in for it?

The steering wheel controls I have only set for the stage and BEF mode. Other than that everything else is untouched.
(#27)
Old

Car: 2015 435i xdrive gran coupe
Default 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM

In regards to the 6 cyl timing logging, one, what is that, and two, what number would I put in for it?

What year is your 435?
(#28)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yes. Connect to the JB4 and go to that menu to the bits/options. Enable 6.

I am afraid I cannot comment on the steering wheel controls. I have never used them, I have only ever used the app for settings changes.

Also turn on the 6 cyl timing logging.

While you are at it, can you take screen shots of all your JB4 settings? That would be helpful.

Plus new logs.
Tadaaaaa, if there are any mistakes im all eyes and ears!
Attached Images

(#29)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A404freedom
Tadaaaaa, if there are any mistakes im all eyes and ears!
LOL. Just wanted to confirm normal settings. What about the bits? Is 6 the only one enabled?
(#30)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
LOL. Just wanted to confirm normal settings. What about the bits? Is 6 the only one enabled?
I'm full of surprises lol. Yea, only did bits at 6. Are there any other fun things I can do that I have been completely unaware of and could showcase how uneducated I am at this?
(#31)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I'm full of surprises lol. Yea, only did bits at 6. Are there any other fun things I can do that I have been completely unaware of and could showcase how uneducated I am at this?

I think now another log now that settings appear at their default state.
(#32)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I think now another log now that settings appear at their default state.
Actually, and I'm not sure if this is the issue, but can you put all of your duty bias settings at 50? It is essentially the same value as the 0 you have, but that's what has always been told to me as the correct setting for regular wastegate bias.

Then do the log.
(#33)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:28 PM

I will definitely do that. The CEL has disappeared so I'm feeling a lotttt better. We are officially in a thunderstorm so chances are I won't be able to get the log done tonight, but I will definitely wrap it up tomorrow. Bruh, im gonna write you the best damn Yelp review ever lol
(#34)
Old

Default 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, and I'm not sure if this is the issue, but can you put all of your duty bias settings at 50? It is essentially the same value as the 0 you have, but that's what has always been told to me as the correct setting for regular wastegate bias.

Then do the log.
I just did the bias, I'll nail the log tomorrow, it's sh*tty out lol
(#35)
Old

Default 08-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Then do the log.
I've went ahead and did two logs. The car does drive much better and the CEL is gone thank God!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 1.csv (62.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: csv 2.csv (46.4 KB, 28 views)
(#36)
Old

Default 08-01-2020, 12:31 PM

Glad to hear it feels better.

However, there is still something wrong here. Multiple parameters are not being logged.
Because of that it really cant be said if things are going well or going poorly. Just not enough info.

Are you sure the obd2 connector is plugged in and well seated? I would check that as well as the other connections just to be sure.
(#37)
Old

Default 08-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:

However, there is still something wrong here. Multiple parameters are not being logged.
Because of that it really cant be said if things are going well or going poorly. Just not enough info.

Are you sure the obd2 connector is plugged in and well seated? I would check that as well as the other connections just to be sure.
SOB i didnt have if plugged in. Bare with me lll
(#38)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the deal, had some work to wrap up. I did two more logs with it plugged in this time lol
Attached Files
File Type: csv 1.csv (10.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: csv 2.csv (16.2 KB, 33 views)
(#39)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the deal, had some work to wrap up. I did two more logs with it plugged in this time lol
Eureka. We have a proper log with proper settings.

Looks pretty decent. There are some timing issues that may be leaving a smidge of power on the table.

How does it feel? Smooth, powerful?

Remind me what fuel you are using?

Also, when was the last time the spark plugs were changed, and which BEF are you using PUMP or RACE?
(#40)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Eureka. We have a proper log with proper settings.

Looks pretty decent. There are some timing issues that may be leaving a smidge of power on the table.

How does it feel? Smooth, powerful?

Remind me what fuel you are using?

Also, when was the last time the spark plugs were changed, and which BEF are you using PUMP or RACE?
Sorry for the delay*

All in all it feels good. Lower gear is a bit weak but I also may be expecting too much. There's always room for more lol.

I use 93 octane.

I actually haven't changed the plugs which is also something I've been planning on doing.

At the moment im using RACE.
(#41)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM

To clean up the timing you could look at:

adding a bit of e85

Getting some fresh plugs especially if they have over 40k miles.

Also try keeping your IATs down. They are getting up there. I cant remember if you've gotten your stock intercooler upgraded?
(#42)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 02:32 PM

Could you recommend spark plugs? Ive seen people speak of NGK and Bosche but I've also seen people talk about using only the Bmw plugs?

As of now I have intake, exhaust (no ********), intercooler and charge *****
(#43)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 03:06 PM

I think it really depends on what your goals for the car are.
If running your current build, but getting it all buttoned up is good for you. Then the stock plugs should cover you just fine. Get them swapped and take another log and hopefully the timing is cleaned up and you're off.
If you are intending to continue beyond your current mods, upgraded plugs will be advised as you add more power. So you would save in the long run by getting them now.

Which scenario best describes your goals?
(#44)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I think it really depends on what your goals for the car are.
If running your current build, but getting it all buttoned up is good for you. Then the stock plugs should cover you just fine. Get them swapped and take another log and hopefully the timing is cleaned up and you're off.
If you are intending to continue beyond your current mods, upgraded plugs will be advised as you add more power. So you would save in the long run by getting them now.

Which scenario best describes your goals?
Im always looking to add more. Im not opposed to getting upgraded plugs now.
(#45)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 04:39 PM

In that case the NGK 97506 plugs are the ones you want.

Start with a gap just a bit narrower than stock to avoid the ideling/drivability complaints some have with a overly narrow gap.

After you up the power a bit you can narrow the gap down. Most advise .026 or so for your current mods. Gap down to .022 or .020 once you have boost levels beyond 17psi and the octane to support that level of boost.

I would really look into where you might find a gas station that has e85.
(#46)
Old

Default 08-03-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
In that case the NGK 97506 plugs are the ones you want.

Start with a gap just a bit narrower than stock to avoid the ideling/drivability complaints some have with a overly narrow gap.

After you up the power a bit you can narrow the gap down. Most advise .026 or so for your current mods. Gap down to .022 or .020 once you have boost levels beyond 17psi and the octane to support that level of boost.

I would really look into where you might find a gas station that has e85.
I will absolutely look into spark plugs. Would you recommend new sockets as well? Is there a disadvantage to putting the ngk in and not doing any other work to the engine??

In regards to e85, im assuming that you use that as a mixture with regular premium gas??
(#47)
Old

Default 08-04-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I will absolutely look into spark plugs. Would you recommend new sockets as well? Is there a disadvantage to putting the ngk in and not doing any other work to the engine??

In regards to e85, im assuming that you use that as a mixture with regular premium gas??

Some people have reported some rough idling issues with the NGKs when they run a very narrow gap. You would help to negate that by keeping a close to stock gap with your current power levels. Once you increase the power you would benefit from a narrower gap like .022 or .020 to prevent spark blowout with high boost levels. There is no benefit to changing your plugs with your current set up.

As for e85 you would add a few gallons to a near empty tank and the fill the rest of the way with 93. Most start with 3 gallons and take some logs to determine if more or less is needed. The mixture of e85 acts as an octane booster and helps clean up timing issues with the boost you are trying to run. It also adds a bit of a cooling effect. You can think of running the mix as essentially running 95 octane instead of the 93 you are currently. Though that 95 number is not exact. If you add a couple gallons of e85 you will notice a difference and likely want to run it that way all the time.

Just don't add more than 3 gallons to start. Log then adjust.

By sockets I assume you mean the coil packs? You shouldn't need to replace those unless you have issues. No reason to fix something that isn't broke. Start with replacing the old plugs and add some octane. That should clear you up. If not then consider the coil packs.

Last edited by 435gc; 08-04-2020 at 10:38 AM..
(#48)
Old

Default 08-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Some people have reported some rough idling issues with the NGKs when they run a very narrow gap. You would help to negate that by keeping a close to stock gap with your current power levels. Once you increase the power you would benefit from a narrower gap like .022 or .020 to prevent spark blowout with high boost levels. There is no benefit to changing your plugs with your current set up.

As for e85 you would add a few gallons to a near empty tank and the fill the rest of the way with 93. Most start with 3 gallons and take some logs to determine if more or less is needed. The mixture of e85 acts as an octane booster and helps clean up timing issues with the boost you are trying to run. It also adds a bit of a cooling effect. You can think of running the mix as essentially running 95 octane instead of the 93 you are currently. Though that 95 number is not exact. If you add a couple gallons of e85 you will notice a difference and likely want to run it that way all the time.

Just don't add more than 3 gallons to start. Log then adjust.

By sockets I assume you mean the coil packs? You shouldn't need to replace those unless you have issues. No reason to fix something that isn't broke. Start with replacing the old plugs and add some octane. That should clear you up. If not then consider the coil packs.
Very good, thank you.

Conveniently my CEL came on an hour ago, getting an 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture Too Rich error. Could that be me running JB4 as race and not pump?
(#49)
Old

Default 08-04-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Very good, thank you.

Conveniently my CEL came on an hour ago, getting an 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture Too Rich error. Could that be me running JB4 as race and not pump?

The flash shouldn't be the issue.

This is the same code you had before right? Did you clear the codes? If you didn't hit the clear codes button in the jb4 app it will keep reappearing. Make sure you clear the code then see if it comes back. Will need to see a log as well if the code reappears.

You didmt make any other changes right? Didnt adjust the FOL or fuel bias settings?
(#50)
Old

Default 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The flash shouldn't be the issue.

This is the same code you had before right? Did you clear the codes? If you didn't hit the clear codes button in the jb4 app it will keep reappearing. Make sure you clear the code then see if it comes back. Will need to see a log as well if the code reappears.

You didmt make any other changes right? Didnt adjust the FOL or fuel bias settings?
I actually never deleted them. Ive gone and deleted them now and the CEL cleared.

I havent made anyyyy changes. I will be looking for e85 gas in a bit 👌👌👌