JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: honda
Default TIMING CHAINS IN N20/N26 ENGINES - 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM

As most of you know the N20 engines produced from 2012 to 2015 have been plagued with timing chain issues. This is by far no surprise to the community but I wanted to say some things in order to help others that have a car effected by this issue.

DONT PUSH YOUR CAR IN THE HEAT!!!!!! I have been constantly checking the condition of my chain in my 2016 328i with N20 and the NUMBER ONE thing i have noticed is that the chain and guides expand in the heat and are a lot more loose then compared to when in the cold, when they are loose it can cause the chain to skip hypothetically and i would recommend this to be safe, if it’s hot (80F or hotter) just don’t touch your F30.

There is a lawsuit protecting some cars and engines but now that most of them have been out for 4 years+ now most of them have surpassed the extended warranty covering the engines, the warranty was extended to 7years/70,000 miles, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. and this only covers from 2012-early2015 production cars.

If your 328/320 was advertised as 2016 look up the vin and see when your car was produced, mine is a 2016 and was made November of 2015 and still has the old timing chain guides. i’m at 81k miles and it is still tight (in the cold)
Tweakbox Appvalley https://vlc.onl

These are just some bits of information i’ve picked up and thought they could help some of us out because i don’t see a lot of information floating around on how to prevent these issues in cars we know are effected.

If you know anything not listed here that might be of help to anyone with a 2012-2015 F30 please list it below, anything helps

Last edited by jorgelene97; 08-02-2021 at 03:55 AM..