N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92
Thumbs down Worse experience helix motorsports - 01-27-2017, 02:15 PM

*I recently have had work done on my car by Eric Savage shop Helix Motorsports, to which frankly was disappointing and dissatifying to say the least. I Should of known not to trust this company when the service writer resigned because of unfair practices by mr savage.

PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME ME HAVING THEM DOING WORK.

I have a 07 BMW 335i which was part of the big ta***a airbag recall so the vehicle wasnt being driven in light of that fact. The car needed a clutch replacement because I felt like it was started to go. I work around the airport in Philadelphia and reach out to the shop and asked what would it cost to get that job completed. Then they quoted me a price it was a tab bit steep but I did some research and they had fair reviews.

The car was towed to them in mid-late July after the work began I got a call from Ryan (I believe he no longer works there) saying you might need a flywheel as well he quoted me a price that was Ludacris more than even BMW. So I quickly did some research and found a fair price which was less than half. A day later a brought them the part, the next day I received another call saying there was another problem which was causing an oil leak to the car I asked if it was the turbos going bad he said nope, he said it was due to a seal that was broken and that the power steering pulley needed to be replaced. So I asked what the price was he relayed it to me and I said fine go ahead, at this point I just wanted my baby home.

So after my initial quote prior to the job now it tripled at completion, I said okay that's fine as long as I know my car is well and no issues. Before picking up my car I asked it all good an well now they relayed all is well.

For the next 2 and half months the car sat in my drive way because of the recall which BMW provided me a rental car (which will show the car wasn't being driven) all i would do occasionally warm up the car.

Finally BMW called me to take of the airbag recall I had it done and now started driving the car. Less than 500 miles the clutch failed and the pedal was stuck to the floor which never happened before this was a new promblem.
The car was not driveable on October 24, and was towed to a local shop which told me that the clutch shouldn't had blow out so quick and all the parts and bolt inside the transfer case looks worn to shreads. Which the claimed looked like an installation error. (I have their findings as well if needed)

I then reached out to Helix stating the clutch they installed failed after driving the car for less than 500 miles they said get it back to them and if was an installation error they would be take ownership which I did on November 1. Eric Savage ( the owner) told me he would need to open the transmission to see if it was an installation error or an defective part.

Also November 1, also reached to the (clutch manufacturer) ACT they said all they need is pictures of the clutch/pressure plate. November 2 I heard nothing so email Mr Savage stating what ACT needed and what I needed done. Now he starts being real shady and evasive stating about ACT won't warranty the clutch or pressure plate and it doesn't seem like we installed it incorrect and we are backed up with other jobs and don't know when we can get to my car on the lift and don't upset me or you can come pick up your car and I won't help you. (I have email transcripts). He claimed the error was ACT clutch which he claim were useless. Then he claim it was driver error. Previously he reported that he couldn't determine the cause unless he open the trans case, now it seems that this guy is has superman's XRAY or some type of miss cleo vision.

November 8, I gave them a call asked what was the ETA for getting me those pictures, he got very defensive and evasive and said he will not open the transmission to get me those pictures unless I pay another $500 or I can go fuk myself.

This company let me spend also $4000 and has the audacity to tell me to pay another $500 so the can look at the car if not come pick up your car if you don't within 24 hours I will charge you $50 daily storage fee.

This whole ordeal has been a horrid nightmare, just one thing after another. Now I'm out $4000 not to mention all the tow fees and my car is still not fixed.
These guys are mini mechanics not BMW mechanics told to me by one of the techs.

This COMPANY SHOULD BE RID OF ITS AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE DUTIES.

Due your self justice and use another BMW mechanic
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 01-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the warning!

2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE, VRSF 7in; Cobb AP; K&N; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote ***; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; ECS Strut Tower Brace; Ziza interior LEDs; FuelIt! Stage 2; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BuraQ; Mishimoto OCC;

previous BMWs: 1991 E36 325i; 1997 E36 328i; 2006 E90 330i
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 01-27-2017, 03:44 PM

You could always try reaching out to a local attorney and getting a notice of representation letter sent to the guy, if nothing else they tend to give people a scare and shouldn't cost too much.

2007 e92 335i - fbo (mostly)
(#4)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 01-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Odds are we'll only get 1 side of this story.

Click bait.

2010 135i auto, MHD E40 tune, Fuel-It stg 2 pump, best 1/4 mile 11.863 @ 119.17 mph
new mods this year, VRSF 5" stepped IC, RB EVO inlets, CP-e/Tial CP, 1320 **'s, xhp stg 3 trans tune, E-85 tune
Best 1/8 mile: 7.469 @ 98.56, 1.769 60'
Best 1/4 mile: 11.480 @ 121.79 1.802 60'
(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 01-27-2017, 10:46 PM

I worked with Eric twice. He and his guys installed my Helix FMIC and RB PCV, and walnut blasted several years ago. I'm surprised by what happened to OP. It's too bad this went wrong for him. I actually feel bad for Eric since he seemed very nice when I worked with him. And I was planning to ask Eric to install my RB inlets and maybe do some other work too.

2008 E90 335xi AT 67K MILES
MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION

Last edited by Jeffman; 01-29-2017 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Update
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 e90 335i 6MT
Default 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1
Odds are we'll only get 1 side of this story.

Click bait.
Agreed. I would really like to hear Helix's side & see these EMails. Not that I doubt OP, but Helix's reputation shouldn't be torn apart without hearing both sides.

I've met Eric & his crew, never had a bad experience with the work I've had them do. We had a walnut blast group-buy a couple years ago (I joined the 1st GB 2 years ago, and setup our most recent one) & he was happy to hangout with us, talk cars, and so on. I'm not trying to plug them, but I've had work done several times on my car, and had a buddies car there for work, and had no complaints whatsoever. So this comes as a shock.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-28-2017, 07:34 PM

I've installed two clutches on an N54 engine. I don't see how OP could have caused this by just starting the car. Hell even if he was doing clutch drops in the driveway this clutch shows complete failure and looks like improper installation. Something was seated right or torqued correctly to cause that type of failure.

335i LMB E92 6MT MSport Logic7
(#8)
Old

Car: 135
Default 01-30-2017, 03:37 PM

Several of our customers alerted me to this thread. It didn't surprise me since the OP, Tony Bennett flamed us on Google as well. My first inclination was to not respond: fanning the flames with this individual makes me nervous. I knew that when we cut off communications with him it would be trouble, but for the well being of Helix and our employees, I decided, with the advice of our lawyer, that it was the best move.

Needless to say much of what is written in the OP is fiction. I'm not going to detail every interaction that we had with Tony, but I'll give an overview of what happened, and let you decide based upon our reputation and care for our clients.

-on 7/7 Tony came to our shop with a '07 335i that was in abysmal shape. Every single body panel was damaged including roof, doors, broken front panels (half of them gone). The ill-fitting 'carbon fiber' hood and trunk lid were cracked and delaminated. The motor had multiple codes, was leaking from the rear main seal, oil pan, both turbos (badly), valve cover and OFHG. The motor had some bolt-on bits of unknown origin.

-Oil was also pouring from the front main seal, which was a result of the front crank pulley inhaling a broken belt through the seal. Basically when a belt fails in a certain way, it actually gets sucked into the motor. The belt had been replaced but not the seal and, vitally, the oil pan had not been dropped to remove the bits of belt inside the motor. This can destroy a motor.

-The cause of the belt shredding, the power steering pulley, had not been replaced. It was failing to the point of almost falling off the car.

-The clutch was slipping.

-The interior was trashed.

-The suspension bushings were toast, and after lot-driving the car, it was apparent that it needed new dampeners for starters.

Typically, when we get a car that needs more work than it's worth, we sit down with the client and advise them that it might be better to start fresh with another car. Often folks want to keep their car, so we prioritize the fixes based upon priority: 1) safety for the driver, 2) risk of greater damage to the vehicle, and 3) stuff you can push off, like certain leaks/cosmetics.

-We explained to him that it was vital to remove the belt bits from his crank case for starters. He declined. We implored him to at least change his oil and hopefully remove some of the bits. He declined.

-We did convince him to replaced his broken steering pulley, which we did at parts cost and with no labor charge.

-He was there for the clutch, and clutch only: not for a plan to make a usable car out of this wreck.

-He wanted to put a ACT performance clutch in the car. We advised him that racing clutches are good for certain applications, but are designed for launching, not lasting. We have seen race clutches fail in as few as 3000 miles if they are Ike Turnered at the drag strip. We strongly advised him to put a stock clutch in the car. He declined, and insisted that we put the ACT clutch in. He supplied the clutch kit himself. When we removed the trans, it was clear that his clutch has been cooked from either novice driving or racing: cracked pressure plate, flywheel.

-We reluctantly did his bidding and sent him on his way.

-On 9/28, he came in for a check engine light, and poor running. He had put 928 miles on the car since his last visit.

-His car was in limp mode, but had a OBD/CAN failure and wouldn't communicate with any scan tool (no, not the piggyback/JB4 lockout, an electronic failure). Someone had been playing with the intake system, installed non-factory connectors and the charge pipe had fallen off. We re-attached it which relieved the un-metered air situation, so at least it ran, and sent him on his way.

-Then in November the car came back (on a flatbed) from VAC. The car had the telltale stench of burned clutch. He said that either ACT, the clutch manufacturer, or we were going to have to pay for his burned clutch. He first went to ACT and wanted a replacement. They told him to send images, so we scoped the bell housing (for free) and sent him images. The bell housing was choked with clutch dust. ACT, of course declined to replace the part, so he turned to us and said that we would have to replace his clutch at our cost. Our warranty policy is that if we screw something up, we'll fix it, no time limit. I told him that if we were at fault, we would of course replace it, but if it was a failed clutch from abuse on a 'race' clutch we would have to charge him. In a long email chain, he insisted that either ACT or Helix would have to replace the clutch. Back and forth we went, with his emails becoming more aggressive (his email address makes reference to a 357 Magnum) and hostile, without any reason whatsoever. I finally had to cut it off. It was just too sketchy.

There's much more to it, with documentation. Our lawyer has been informed, and we have the address of a lawyer who has dealt with Tony. This is the only post that I'll make about this subject, so if there is a debate on the above, I won't enter into it. I've got to cut the cord. Our reputation and care for our clients is out there. This is one that felt bad from the beginning and only got worse.

Last edited by eric@helix; 01-31-2017 at 09:09 AM..
(#9)
Old

Default 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Good to hear your side!

2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE, VRSF 7in; Cobb AP; K&N; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote ***; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; ECS Strut Tower Brace; Ziza interior LEDs; FuelIt! Stage 2; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BuraQ; Mishimoto OCC;

previous BMWs: 1991 E36 325i; 1997 E36 328i; 2006 E90 330i
(#10)
Old

Default 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Eric, boy what a nightmare customer! That's one bad hombre! I really glad you sought legal advice and explained your side here. I feel much better and look forward to having you work on my car this Spring.

MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#11)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-30-2017, 07:11 PM

Maintenance before power upgrades. Throwing more HP at a hobbled engine makes no sense. Unless you deliberately want to wreck the car.
I went through over a year where I kept throwing money at maintenance on our two 535s. Oil leaks, tired parts, water pumps, sensors, fuel modules, transmission rebuild, injectors.... Seemed endless. Wasn't cheap. N54 is not light on maintenance and all parts cost $$$.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#12)
Old

Default 01-30-2017, 07:20 PM

+1 Ocean.

(#13)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 01-31-2017, 08:53 AM

I've always had a great experience with Helix each time I've been there (multiple walnut blastings, some wiring work, help troubleshooting a driveline vibration, etc). Hell, Eric even dropped me off at my office twice in the morning after bringing my car in.

It's a good shop and I've recommended it to many people.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#14)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM

I had a great experience with Helix as well. If I was in their position I wouldn't have touched that POS with a 10-foot pole.
(#15)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM

When to OP said he was driving a loaner for the air bag thing, my BS meter pegged.
It's an '07 and there are plenty of people in newer cars driving them. So he must have raised hell to get a loaner for MONTHS.

2010 135i auto, MHD E40 tune, Fuel-It stg 2 pump, best 1/4 mile 11.863 @ 119.17 mph
new mods this year, VRSF 5" stepped IC, RB EVO inlets, CP-e/Tial CP, 1320 **'s, xhp stg 3 trans tune, E-85 tune
Best 1/8 mile: 7.469 @ 98.56, 1.769 60'
Best 1/4 mile: 11.480 @ 121.79 1.802 60'
(#16)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-31-2017, 03:47 PM

Funny how he literally joined the forum to make one post bashing a company and hasn't made a sound since.
(#17)
Old
Legend

Default 01-31-2017, 05:38 PM

Who, Churchmouse??

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#18)
Old

Default 01-31-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Who, Churchmouse??
No, the OP.
(#19)
Old
Legend

Default 02-01-2017, 03:06 PM

Intended as satire. OP gone silent = new handle. Church mouse.

Sleeper 5 series
(#20)
Old

Default 02-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Ohhh, quiet as a church mouse. Lmao I'm on your wavelength now
(#21)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i sport
Default 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

"My POS car broke, oh poor me!!! Somebody is going to pay for my lack of funds!!!" I agree 10000% with Ocean maintenance before upgrades no if ands or buts about it.

Also a racing clutch on a junket nearly stock car just has me dying. This is why Honda people don't buy BMW'S

2008 335i Sport Jb4, MHD BEF, Alpina flash, Uncatted *****, PE Mod, Injen Intake, v710's , Vogtland Springs
(#22)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 02-04-2017, 09:50 AM

This thread should be deleted

2007 335i MT, JB4 G5, Hybrid Pump BEF, DCI, 6" AMS FMIC, d_p's, inlets, Chargepipe with Raceport BOV, Tomioka 16t turbos