N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2016 435ix GC
Default Daily CEL's and codes that really bug me - 07-29-2019, 08:02 AM

Hey All,

I have a JB4 and a few other mods, but I get regular daily codes and its really starting to bother my driving experience in that I am having to erase codes on every drive. I'd like to get help from this forum on how to keep these codes from being part of my daily driving.

1. 102001 Air Mass Plausibility -- Tuner code ignore
I know it says ignore but anyway to stop this thing, it comes multiple times a day.

2. 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture too rich
I havent touched the fuel system aside from my JB4 tuning. I also have not messed with the Fuel adjustment, running Map 5

3. 123432 electric wastegate, stop learning:
I know this one started after I installed the Wastegate control cable for the JB4. I know im not running ethenol and dont need it yet really but it also allows me to get data on My WGDC (Wastegate Duty Cycle) I wanted to catch possible failure but this code is an issue because it doesnt just show me a code it puts the car into low power mode. Then I have to restart the car before I can get rid of and go back to normal power. Is there a way to completely fix this constant annoyance? Ive tried the delayed start trick still happens.

Well any help is appreciated. Here are my mods
  • JB4
    Cold air intake
    Go FChats bits DV+
    Exhaust
    Charge pipe
    turbo inlet pipe,
    Turbo out pipe,

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
H&R Springs, Sways, Strut Tower bar, 19"x10 Rotiforms, Too much carbon goodness
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-29-2019, 10:48 PM

The mixture code- do you have any logs?

The electric wastegate code - you can unplug your ewg connector, just make sure you tuck it away. If this code keeps popping or is accompanied by more ewg codes still- it might be a hardware issue

The first code- Annoying, but most just clear / ignore

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Default 07-30-2019, 08:32 AM

I do not have a log for the mixture code it randomly pops ups so i am never able to time it. I can try this week.

The first code, can this be fixed with a BEF? I am about to buy the MHD app but want to understand more about what I would gain by it since it is a BEF I am aware I will become a target for dealer waranty denials. But if I gain more stable power then I am in.

If I unplug the EWG does my JB4 have less control of my wastegate? I am running map 5 for the smoothness and adaptability and I dont want to lose any performance. Also can that be fixed with BEF or some other electrical trickery?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBimmer
I do not have a log for the mixture code it randomly pops ups so i am never able to time it. I can try this week.

The first code, can this be fixed with a BEF? I am about to buy the MHD app but want to understand more about what I would gain by it since it is a BEF I am aware I will become a target for dealer waranty denials. But if I gain more stable power then I am in.

If I unplug the EWG does my JB4 have less control of my wastegate? I am running map 5 for the smoothness and adaptability and I dont want to lose any performance. Also can that be fixed with BEF or some other electrical trickery?
mixture control is usually thrown when trims max too long postive or negative- so that SHOULD show up on a log- so keep an eye out.

BEF imo - 100% yes- overall better performance- best of both worlds imo- that may actually eliminate the mixture control issue- if it's trim or afr related.

If you don't want to unplug- some replace the EWG - but i'd try unplugging first- not going to harm anything.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#5)
Old

Default 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM

BEF : looks like ill just get the MHD app and license tonight. Will the maps you guys provide solve this out of the box or will you need to modify it to cure the Tuner code and the mixture code?

EWG cable: When you say replace the EWG do you think its a bad unit or is there an upgrade I can buy?

Thanks again in advance

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#6)
Old

Default 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM

one last one: On the MIxture code. Is there a way to adjust the trim from the JB4 App? If so what are some recommended values to try?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
one last one: On the MIxture code. Is there a way to adjust the trim from the JB4 App? If so what are some recommended values to try?
No- the app allows you to adjust fuel bias- but that pertains to guys runing PI or DPM

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-30-2019, 01:19 PM

The tuner plausibility faults are all deleted, so any fault remaining would indicate an issue to be resolved. Just report back on the codes once you've loaded the BEF and we can go from there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Issue 1
Reviewed the log when I got the Mixture too rich error code and it shows Trim steady at 26. Not sure what its supposed to be.
Erased the code and this morning got the code again at start in the first minute. This time I watched the trim it ranged from 24-26 while parked or in slow traffic. Can you tell me what Im supposed to expect

Issue 2 WGDC codes
To eliminate the EWG Missing error code I unplugged the EWG bypass cable before my drive to work. It started fine with no Wastegate codes. However during my slow morning drive I got a different code this time its said Boost Pressure Lower than expected. This was one of the reasons I added the EWG code was to see what the cause is with when I get this code. However when I installed the EWG bypass cable that particular code went away. Today while driving in traffic it came back.
120308 Boost Pressure Lower than expected
108F01 Boost pressure lower than expected

Why would did happen?
- I ruled out boost leak during my piping replacement. I have charge pipe, turbo inlet pipe, and turbo out to Intercooler pipe. All are upgraded aluminum piping, I have replaced all o-rings with new ones. I also have a BMS intercooler.

I need to get a handle on this thanks

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#10)
Old

Default 08-01-2019, 08:02 PM

well let me start with another update and a sequence of things that happened.
1. Unplugged EWG Cable
2. Drive to work in moderate traffic.
3. performed 70% acceleration car boost to target then Fault Code hit. 120308 Boost Pressure Lower than expected
108F01 Boost pressure lower than expected . Car went into low power mode.
4. Stopped restarted the car reset the codes back to normal
5. Afternoon drive home same issue occurred
6. Got home reinstalled the cable and boos issue went away

Originally I installed the EWg cable to get a better WGDC reading and give the JB4 better control over boost. I was trying to solve a lame boost issue where I could not boost beyond 7.5 psi and would from time to time get the low boost fault code.

I decided to install the GoFast Bits Dv+ and the BMS EWG Cable the same day. This solve my problem but presented another where I get the wastegate fault codes at start. It wasnt every time but often enough
123412 electric wastegate, stop learning: stop position (Wastegate closed) not found
123401 wastegate stop during *** heading cycle
120408 reduced power mode

So not sure how to solve this issue. if I leave the ewg cable I routinely get the wastegate error. If I take it off i get low boost fault codes

appreciate the hep

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Just to confirm- bef, did you load that yet?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#12)
Old

Default 08-02-2019, 07:07 AM

I do not have BEF yet. Dont know where to buy the cable. I have the app installed and the MAP downloaded to my laptop just no cable to push it the car. Unless there is a wirelss way to do it.

Update: today the car behaved, not a singled code. All I did yesterday was put the ewg bypass cable back on and let the JB4 do the rest. I did set the FF/Wastegate setting to 70 to start and let it learn its way back.

One thing that was weird yesterday before I put the cable back on was running map 2 felt like the car was a dog. I wonder if this is a sing my wastegate is bad

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#13)
Old

Default 08-05-2019, 07:19 AM

what cable do I need to use the MHD software and push to my car?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
what cable do I need to use the MHD software and push to my car?
K+Dcan + an otg adapter so it will connect to your android

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#15)
Old

Default 08-05-2019, 07:44 AM

im looking on the site but not seeing that part

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#16)
Old

Default 08-07-2019, 07:15 AM

can someone give me another link to buy the cable needed to connect my MHD? I cant seem to find the right cable to buy. I am looking for OBDII cable to Android? Or do I need one to go to laptop first.... confused

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#17)
Old

Car: 2015 435i xdrive gran coupe
Default 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM

The bimmergeeks cable is the one most people recommend. I used it and the MHD flash took about 25 minutes. Some who have used the 20 dollar cables from amazon report that it takes closer to 40 minutes for the flash. Link to the cable I used is below. You will also need a android OTG cable that will work with your android phone/tablet(no laptop needed). I used a 4 dollar one of these from amazon. Just search for android OTG cable on amazon and pick one out. The OTG cable is an adapter to connect the bimmergeeks cable to your phone/tablet.

BimmerGeeks! Pro-K+Dcan Cable | bimmergeeks
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM

I bought my cable years ago off amazon for like $8.00 and it worked (luckily)

Most use the bimmergeeks cable now it seems.

You need that cable & an OTG adapter

Looks like member above posted the link

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#19)
Old

Default 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Hello All,

First off thank you for all the advice and help so far. Here is the updates and questions I have.

1. I have installed the MHD App, done the BEF with the latest 2014+ EWG Map. Did not do the Race Map

Results:
- immediate improvement in boost, fuel, and torque. I love it, its finally hitting all boost targets on Map5
- All functionality intact
- Codes still showing.

Code Behavior as observed
- 102011 Air Mass, Plausibility Tuner code ignore: This still occurs on every start. Sometimes right away sometimes during the drive. If deleted during the drive doesnt come up again until next start. Restarting without deleting code first does not erase or shut off CEL.

- 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture too rich: This code will come up once each start along with the Air Mass code. Sometimes will not delete and is stubborn have to delete it a few times. I watch the Trim and mostly it remains in a range of 21 - 25 when idling or low speeds. (I will upload log today). I do notice fuel consumption is worse than when I bought the car by far. Im lucky if I get 280 miles to the tank on 93 octane.

123411 Electric Wastegate stop learning: stop position (wastegate open) not found: Not sure when this code happens but hasnt been much lately

123412 Electric wastegate stop learning: stop position (wastegate closed) not found: This code happens after some driving, couple of pulls, regular driving, usually comes up at start. Ive tried to pause with one click of the start button waiting for system check then starting but still happens. It never happens on a cold start in the morning

123401 Wastegate learning stop during *** Heading cycle: same for this code sometimes I think they swap for the chance to annoy me.

120408 Reduced Power Mode: This is a fault code and it basically happens when anyone of the Wastegate codes happens.

So my daily routine looks like this.
- start my day drive kids to school, cold start, get CEL 1.102011 Air Mass, Plausibility Tuner code ignore, and 2. 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture too rich. Clear the codes with JB4 and go

- drop kids off leave car running, Stop for coffee shut car down.
- Restart car get wategate closed fault code, with reduced power.
- accept message in car. Restart the car, read the codes, delete codes with JB4. All is ok again. continue to drive to work with full power.
- the more stops I have the more Fault codes I deal with

I tried to take the EWG cable off then the car went nuts, lost boost, and gave me "Boost lower than expected codes" had to put the BMS EWG cable bypass back.

I will upload my log shortly but have been trying to catch when each code triggers. Please help
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-08-11 16_16_29_Map-5.csv (41.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-12 08_17_41_Map-5.csv (11.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-12 22_33_14_Map-5.csv (66.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-02 08_59_33_Map-5.csv (43.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv 2019-08-12 22_36_33_Map-5.csv (15.5 KB, 4 views)

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe

Last edited by JLBimmer; 08-13-2019 at 04:25 PM..
(#20)
Old

Default Logs loaded - 08-13-2019, 04:26 PM

logs have been loaded for the last 5

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#21)
Old

Default 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Could the Air Mass code be due to having a cold air intake and if so how do I get rid of this code for good outside of taking off the intake and going back to stock.

Mixture too rich code. can someone look at my logs and tell me if my trims are oo high and how we fix it? Thanks

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#22)
Old

Default 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Just to confirm- bef, did you load that yet?
Yes got the BEF installed and seeing great performance results but still getting all codes. I listed all behavior below in its own reply. I also attached 5 logs. I really could us some help here. thanks

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Seems like a boost leak or something physical here. Boost should be higher with and without the EWG....

Check the usual suspects? DV not closing, oring missing in chargepipe, bung cap on CP missing, etc?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#24)
Old

Default 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Weird you say that because right after I installed the BEF I was seeing upwards of 16 psi, then it started to drop to about 14 psi peaks

so running down your list:
- DV is GFB DV+ and seems to be working (1 month old)
- Charge pipe, intercooler pipe, all got new ORings when installed (2 weeks)
- Bung cap: so this is where I am a bit suspicious, my car is an automatic and it has a return pipe connected. I think it is an oil evaporator line or something. It just doesnt fit right on the chargepipe and is never tight. I have tried to jimmy rig a way to keep it on but i feel like this is where the leak may be. What is that return for and can I plug it then plug the charge pipe with bung cap? or do I need that evap line to be connected to the charge pipe.

What is that line that connects to the charge pipe for?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#25)
Old

Default 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM

is it the fuel tank Breather? After looking at diagrams all over the web its what I came up with. It seems it was only on Automatic cars. Can I plug this thing and then plug the charge pipe with the bung cap?
Attached Images

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe