JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E61 535xit6, E39 530i5
Default 535xi: Fixing Exhaust Leak Without Pulling Turbos? - 06-21-2022, 12:47 PM

Hi All,

I've got an exhaust leak by the turbos in my E61, and I'm thinking it's likely the manifold gaskets.

I was planning on pulling the turbos to replace the gaskets, but I am just dreading the job, especially because I'll be doing the job on jack stands in my garage.

I've got a few questions:

1) Is there any possibility that I can move the engine enough to access the exhaust manifold bolts, just to make sure they're torqued properly? I was thinking I could loosen the engine mounts and try to lift the passenger side of the engine up a bit.

2) Is it common for the studs to break off? I'm worried it might be leaking because it already has a broken stud. I don't even want to THINK about how I would deal with that.

3) Is there anything else I should check/do before fully diving into the turbo removal job? It is certainly last resort, and the turbos have ~50k miles on them so they do not need replacement. To be clear, I really do not want to do this job, but frankly I'd rather put those resources toward coilovers anyway. Yay!

Lastly, I don't like AWD, and if I'm going to be having to remove driveshafts anyway for this job, I am tempted to figure out how to delete the system! Would like to go a full RWD conversion with subframes and all, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks a lot–can't wait to get this resolved.

-Lucas

Picture for fun: (edit: wow, too much fun... how do I resize that image?? Removed it for now because it was ginormous)

Last edited by WIDWMKR; 06-21-2022 at 12:52 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi jb+ VSRF ******* DP DCI cabin filter delete
Default 06-24-2022, 09:44 PM

Removed a bunch of turbos from these haven’t broken any studs. When did it break/have the turbos been out recently? Not fun in a XI but fun when you get traction!

2009 135i waiting on 800hp dyno
2008 335xi bolt ons
2008 535xi driver
2014 M5 6spd
08 Cayman S 6spd
2006 Cayenne S
04 Gallardo gated 6spd
2012 MP4-12c ICE
(#3)
Old

Default 06-27-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiboost
Removed a bunch of turbos from these haven’t broken any studs. When did it break/have the turbos been out recently? Not fun in a XI but fun when you get traction!
Thanks–good to hear that the studs don't break very frequently.

The turbos were done at 128k or 138k miles... can't remember right now. The car has 179k now, but I'm not sure how long it has had this issue.

I bought an engine support yesterday and am going to attempt to check the manifold nuts from the top before yanking everything out from the bottom. Looks like it may be possible space-wise with the 5, but certainly was not on my old 335i. I've heard that the nuts can loosen up if they're not replaced, so I wonder if they weren't replaced when the turbos were done. I've got the invoice somewhere...
(#4)
Old

Default 06-27-2022, 04:50 PM

Well, I just found out that 2/3 of my turbo manifold nuts were loose! I was able to tighten most of them by removing the expansion tank, boost reservoirs (or whatever they're called), and the shield that the boost control solenoids are mounted to. I wasn't able to get the ones on the bottom of the front manifold, but I'll go back and try those next week (and get a better external T50 for next time). Super thrilled–only took about an hour to tighten the nuts I was able to access = so much better than having to drop the turbos and go from the bottom!

Last question: Because I probably cannot replace the manifold gaskets from the top, I am hoping that they are in okay shape and will seal after the nuts are completed tightened. What is the likelihood that they've been damaged due to the leaks? Or that they won't reseal with just tightening (well, replacing) the nuts?
(#5)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 06-27-2022, 08:04 PM

fairly high if you've been blowing hot exhaust out through em. I guess you'll find out soon, though. You really need to get the turbos out of the way to clean everything up there if it still leaks.

2010 335ix - speedtech, 6466g2, cams, ported head, built bottom end, 7.5in hd ic, jb4, pi, dual 535s w/ external fpr and return, upgraded 6hp21+cooler, pr coils
(#6)
Old

Default 06-27-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
fairly high if you've been blowing hot exhaust out through em. I guess you'll find out soon, though. You really need to get the turbos out of the way to clean everything up there if it still leaks.
Hmmm... it has probably been leaking for a while, so I am worried it may not reseal properly. If I could get it tightened enough to last for a year or two, I'd be happy.

I'd pay somebody to do the full job, but frankly I've put too much into this car as-is, and half the time I send my car to a shop I regret not doing the work myself after.

Highly unlikely, but I'm wondering if I could possibly even replace the gaskets from the top. I could probably pull the manifolds two inches off the motor, which would give enough clearance to pass the ends of the studs and change out the seals. Would be a drag, but nothing compared to pulling everything out from the bottom on jack stands...
(#7)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 06-27-2022, 10:03 PM

The issue is going to be the hard lines that hold the turbos in place. You're not getting those from up top.

2010 335ix - speedtech, 6466g2, cams, ported head, built bottom end, 7.5in hd ic, jb4, pi, dual 535s w/ external fpr and return, upgraded 6hp21+cooler, pr coils
(#8)
Old

Car: Mazda CX5
Default 07-04-2022, 06:32 AM

I think it`s cool