N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default RB Turbos - Assembled!! (Pics inside) - 08-28-2009, 06:28 AM

RB TURBOS

My setup does not include all installation materials (gaskets/seals/ or other misc. hardware). This is not uncommon, no turbo setups do. Installation materials are part of just that, installation. You can order from Tischer, or whoever else, please do so and do not rely on me it only makes my life harder. Part #'s will be provided by me to my customers to make your life a little easier. In the event you have some oddball situation, ie. out of country, you can order from Tischer and have shipped to me in advance and I will ship out to you with your turbos- but I'd much recommend not including me in this if you have no other reasons not to do as such.

Keep in mind, I upgrade the Wastegate ASSEMBLIES in the turbine housing as standard part of my upgrade. The Wastegate Actuators are a "bolt on" component to the turbo and are not part of the ASSEMBLY whatsoever. I also include new BMW actuators at no additional cost to compliment my upgraded Internal Wastegate ASSEMBLIES and they are installed and adjusted prior to being sent to you.

Tuning has been very successful with the JB4, Procede, and even Cobb. Some others have used custom flash tunes as well. All tuners will have to work independently with you for other concerns. I am not a tuner, and can not answer tuner related questions.

Cores: 135I RHD and LHD are the same Turbos both front and rear. They are also the same turbos as 335I RHD front and rear. The 335I LHD (USA) are the most common of cores, but have an odd rear turbo as compared to the others. The front Turbo is the same amongst all of them. Contact me before purchasing cores. I have several sets in stock and will be selling them outright or on a core exchange basis. Buying outright is generally cheaper, but keep in mind outright core pricing is subject to change quickly pending on my supplies. Refundable core charges will be much higher, but you will get a refund when I get your old cores back.

$2999 RB Turbo upgrade/New and installed actuators
$300 core charge for LHD 335I; $600 for RHD 335I/All 135I ($200/$500 refund respectively if old cores sent back)
$100 fee if paid by credit card or paypal (fee is waived if paid by Cashiers check or Bank wire)
$xxx shipping (Need address for quote)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: xls BMWTurboReplacementParts.xls (22.0 KB, 2716 views)

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 10-31-2012 at 05:33 AM..
(#2)
Old
Banned

Car: N54, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Default 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Nice!
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Awesome!!!

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 Flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
(#4)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Default 08-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Nice!@!

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL **'s | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#5)
Old

Car: Alpine White 335i
Default 08-28-2009, 08:41 AM

cant wait to see

JuiceBox3 1.4 Map 5, AR CL *********, BMS Filter, LUX 4.0, Matte Black Grill, Matte Black Badges, Black/White Roundels, Blacklines, Matte Black Finishing Rods, MFD Matte Black Scoops, Amber Overlays, Tinted Sidemarkers, Tinted all around, LED Courtesy Lights, New Fuel Pump (haha)

(#6)
Old
maniac

Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 09:21 AM

rob,

i have been bothering you and cheering you on for many months and am very happy you finally posted something !! CONGRATS !!!
... you must be damn close - and i cannot wait to see pics and some jaw dropping information

guys, i have some more than limited knowledge of this turbo upgrade project -but of course will let rob spill the beans when he sees fit:
but i am telling you that you guys are not gonna believe what he is planning to roll out - and this includes DELICIOUS pricing !!

rob: cheers and continued luck - go get ém man !!

if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
(#7)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Any pictures??
(#8)
Old

Car: Alpine White 335i
Default 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM

how much bigger are these turbos compared to the stock ones?

JuiceBox3 1.4 Map 5, AR CL *********, BMS Filter, LUX 4.0, Matte Black Grill, Matte Black Badges, Black/White Roundels, Blacklines, Matte Black Finishing Rods, MFD Matte Black Scoops, Amber Overlays, Tinted Sidemarkers, Tinted all around, LED Courtesy Lights, New Fuel Pump (haha)

(#9)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Congrats Rob. Your turbos will be a great success.
Can you say what is the turbo inlet diameter and inlet tubes' diameter for analyzing what is needed to get enough air for the turbos.
(#10)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe AT
Default 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Great teaser thread. I am salivating all over my keyboard. Oh wait, I do that all the time, nm.

JB3 2.0 Beta 18 ohm| BMS DCI | BT Tool | BMS Tuning Guage | BMS o2 Fix | BMS Stage 3 Chip Burner
AR Design CL *** |Helix FMIC | KDW2s | H&R Sport Springs | 3M 35% Tint
Coolingmist CMGS Progressive/Fail Safe Meth Kit w/Flow Sensor
(#11)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM

They are water cooled (journal bearing) upgrades worked into the stock housings (upgraded Centersection/internals, Turbine wheel, and Compressor wheel). They have been machined (and Stainless Steel adaptations made) to support the use of OEM Oil feeds, Oil returns, and Coolant lines. This means that nothing will be plugged off, no custom lines needed anywhere. From day 1 it was my intention to use a setup that keeps the car as it was designed originally, and that is what has been done.

They are the biggest you can really fit into these housings, there just is not ample wall thicknesses to go any bigger. Therefore I tend to believe they are the biggest ones out there in stock housings. Each turbo flows ~27.5lb/min, so ~55lb/combined. Good for a theoretical 550 hp, compared to the stockers theoretical 400 hp. I believe they are plenty enough to max out the turbine housing limitations, so if you want more you will need to wait for a complete overhaul to the entire turbo(charger) system.

Hope that helps answer your question. I am not yet anywhere near the point of pricing publicly or anything like that, as there is still much work to do (namely with the installation and testing/proving, followed by the wastegate upgrade retrofit). But I can say that if all goes to plan it will be sub $3k for the setup.

It is my full expectation to have pictures of these assembled by end of weekend. My prototype set will not have the Wastegate upgrade performed though, unfortunately that is still in the early EARLY stages and completing the turbos first was my main priority. I would not feel right though, selling ANY turbos unless this mod is completed as there is definitely a big design issue with them as is. Here is a thread I made about all of that:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4168

bnk, I can say the inlet is ~ 1.625". So after you consider tubing wall thicknesses to around .060", using 1.75" tubing would likely fit these beautifully.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-28-2009 at 10:22 AM..
(#12)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
They are water cooled (journal bearing) upgrades worked into the stock housings (upgraded Centersection/internals, Turbine wheel, and Compressor wheel). They have been machined (and Stainless Steel adaptations made) to support the use of OEM Oil feeds, Oil returns, and Coolant lines. This means that nothing will be plugged off, no custom lines needed anywhere. From day 1 it was my intention to use a setup that keeps the car as it was designed originally, and that is what has been done.

They are the biggest you can really fit into these housings, there just is not ample wall thicknesses to go any bigger. Therefore I tend to believe they are the biggest ones out there in stock housings. Each turbo flows ~27.5lb/min, so ~55lb/combined. Good for a theoretical 550 hp, compared to the stockers theoretical 400 hp. I believe they are plenty enough to max out the turbine housing limitations, so if you want more you will need to wait for a complete overhaul to the entire turbo(charger) system.

Hope that helps answer your question. I am not yet anywhere near the point of pricing publicly or anything like that, as there is still much work to do (namely with the installation and testing/proving, followed by the wastegate upgrade retrofit). But I can say that if all goes to plan it will be sub $3k for the setup.

It is my full expectation to have pictures of these assembled by end of weekend. My prototype set will not have the Wastegate upgrade performed though, unfortunately that is still in the early EARLY stages and completing the turbos first was my main priority. I would not feel right though, selling ANY turbos unless this mod is completed as there is definitely a big design issue with them as is.

bnk, I can say the inlet is ~ 1.625". So after you consider tubing wall thicknesses to around .060", using 1.75" tubing would likely fit these beautifully.

Thanks,
Rob

Good info. I would love to see dyno numbers and a/f with them on a car with all supporting bolt ons.
(#13)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Are we going to have to send you or give you our stock turbos or is this a complete turbo you send to us?
(#14)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM

Good luck, definitely interested.
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM

I am going to be in dire need of stock turbos to keep this ball rolling. I have many sets already, but if everyone opted to keep their stock turbos I would not be able to continue the offering for too long. Therefore there will be a refundable core charge applied if you havent already picked up a set of turbos to send in. It is likely I will have to make the core charge fairly substantial, in order to get your old ones back. My pricing estimation above is under the assumption that cores will be sent in up front, or will be the final price after you send the stock units back in. I know that is not the best news, but it's the only way.

Thanks,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYLE LUKAS
Are we going to have to send you or give you our stock turbos or is this a complete turbo you send to us?
(#16)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYLE LUKAS

He is machining out the stock housings so I believe you need to send him stock turbos.
That is why I bought used stock turbos on eBay months ago.

JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
(#17)
Old

Default 08-28-2009, 10:41 AM

excellent news!
(#18)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 11:05 AM

For those of you thinking larger turbos - start researching used turbo prices and get ready to act !

My 2 cents

(#19)
Old

Car: 4 Wheels
Default 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Rob, first the whole community owes you a huge thanks for the effort. If indeed your project proves to be a success, then I am sure you will have a big winner on your hands. Thanks for all the hard work.
(#20)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:

It is my full expectation to have pictures of these assembled by end of weekend.

My prototype set will not have the Wastegate upgrade performed though, unfortunately that is still in the early EARLY stages and completing the turbos first was my main priority.

I would not feel right though, selling ANY turbos unless this mod is completed as there is definitely a big design issue with them as is.
so yur plan is to install and test the new turbos while you continue to work on and then finish the wastegate upgrade??
then when your waste gate rebuild is done - it is at that time you will start selling this upgrade ??
if this is correct, assuming your turbos work as you planned, the waste gate development will probably delay your turbo upgrade sales to the public for another month or so ??

not trying to rain on your parade, but basically trying to guess how much longer i need to wait for bigger snails
thanks

Last edited by midlife; 08-28-2009 at 11:39 AM..
(#21)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
so yur plan is to install and test the new turbos while you continue to work on and then finish the wastegate upgrade??

"Yes! I have other sets of turbos to "tinker" with while this set is on my car."

then when your waste gate rebuild is done - it is at that time you will start selling this upgrade ??

"Yes. Once I get some good indicators that my turbos are successful, along with completion of the wastegate upgrades, I will consider them ready to move out!"

if this is correct, assuming your turbos work as you planned, the waste gate development will probably delay your turbo upgrade sales to the public for another month or so ??

"I do not anticipate the whole Wastegate thing setting me back on timeline much if any further than just going through the installation and performance testing of my prototype set in itself. Of course there is still much to do, and I dont expect to be taking orders until all appropriate due diligence has taken place."

thanks
(#22)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM

cool:

btw, you missed my edited comment which was:

not trying to rain on your parade, but basically trying to guess how much longer i need to wait for bigger snails

(#23)
Old
Stalker

Default 08-28-2009, 11:46 AM

I can sell you the prototype set if you want!!! lol. Patience grasshopper!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
thanks
(#24)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I can sell you the prototype set if you want!!! lol.
since (as you know) i am HIGH in enthusiasm, but temporarily LOW in $$$: you may have a deal !! keep me in mind

Quote:
patience grasshopper!!
i have been trying, but my waiting for SERIOUS power is making me a bit nutz

btw, stop playing in this forum and get back to work

(#25)
Old
maniac

Default 08-28-2009, 12:15 PM

rob,

btw, i just posted this to terry on another thread that mentioned your turbo upgrade:

i really cannot wait for this:
for me, the only difference between alot of hp and incredible sex is:
incredible sex is definitely ALOT cheaper !