N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default Update: Super RB Evolution into Stage 3 type Twin Turbos>>> - 10-25-2014, 10:25 AM

All,

As many of you know we have been testing a new breed of turbos into the N54 platform dubbed the Super RB's. With testing we have found a couple things we had suspected we would find long ago and had hoped it would not be the case… but unfortunately found that it was. That is the new large inducer (19T+) turbos simply do not get along well with the plumbing environment they are being expected to perform in and ultimately do not last or make the gains we'd expect (or hope for) when they are utilized. This said it has been deemed the appropriate time to stop turning a blind eye to the other gross N54 turbo plumbing system limitations and evolve the setup into one that can sufficiently handle the airflow and power potential we are trying to accommodate, which is the Super RB evolution into Stage 3 Twin Turbo Setup.

Keep in mind if you want a nice increase of power (without the extra costs affiliated with even more hardware and fabrication), retain visual OEM appearance, and other "hassles" you really need to just keep considering the Standard RB's or Billet RB's. There are always options we can accommodate with these setups but the masses need to understand that with or without clipping, with or without the thrust upgrade, with or without the billet wheels; the results will still all be very similar.

Time and time again we have found that our traditional RB Turbos perform better in the real world than any other known in the N54 community, we do not need to explain why this is only but to let the product to continue speaking for itself (as it has for years). We are still willing to cater each order to your liking in these regards but the amount of gains per the "tinkering" involved is pretty much marginal in the real world in this application, each combination we will see ~124-128mph traps with pending on the aggressiveness of the tune/vehicle weight/conditions/etc, with more gains to be had with modified inlets as we have seen recently as well (it has just been released about a customer pushing 625+rwhp with standard RB's with modified inlets). Simply put the OEM N54 compressor inlet and outlet plumbing is very insufficient to do much of anything above what is known to be already and needs to replaced so have any chance in getting desirable results.

So for those looking for more power, willing to pay for more product, willing to lose the OEM visual appearance, and to ultimately get more gains reliably; we will now be testing something else new for you. We have decided to go ahead and follow through with the vision we had years ago and are very happy with what it has became at this point and are very close to completion. This includes a full TD04HL-19T+ Twin Turbo Stage 3 type setup incorporating every bell and whistle available including the proper TD04 compressor housings and affiliated inlets and outlets, also guaranteed to be the most elegant Stage 3 bolt on solution that can be expected to be had with the real estate limitations we are working with on the N54.

In the next week we will start updating this thread with some pictures, but we are fairly certain this will capture a audience that is very interested in the progress of the project. The biggest progress we are going to see will be due to the leaps we make and not necessarily the minute fiddling that is often mucked about with… so we are optimistic that this leap will get us into the area we wish to be in.

As always nothing is for sale until we feel we are comfortable in the results of the testing. Costs are unknown. Release date is unknown. Production cycle is unknown. Fitment across models and drivesides is unknown. Etc. The details are unimportant until we confirm results via pending real world unbiased results. We have poured a lot of time and money into this setup but wish to only provide it to customers when we feel it is going to be something they want.

Please do not jam up our email asking for discreet updates as they will be deleted, we will provide them as we see fit here. We just felt it was time to disclose what we have been quietly working on for the past couple months, and that we are very extremely happy with the direction we are finally heading for making a higher powered setup that we believe will be more reliable over time. Doing things the right way is the objective here.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 10-25-2014 at 10:41 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 135, Yamaha fz8
Default 10-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Sucks to hear. but im also glad that were gonna see something even better for the n54 community. if you need beta testers lmk.
(#3)
Old

Car: 07 e92 M/T
Default 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM

#rbs4life

FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
12.23 @ 118.9mph (RBs)
2.3 60' lol (single pass night, bog shifting)
(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Honestly, I'm glad. This is going to be epic, cant wait to hear more.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#5)
Old
Gettin' There!

Car: '07 335i E92
Default 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Your products speak for themselves and I think we all appreciate you telling it like it is. Upfront and honest. These qualities set you worlds apart from certain other turbo manufacturers and when I'm ready to take it to the next level, I know exactly where I will put my business and my dollars. Do this community a great service and keep doing exactly what you're doing. We thank you.

'07 335i E92 - FBO
(#6)
Old

Car: 135
Default 10-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBee335
Your products speak for themselves and I think we all appreciate you telling it like it is. Upfront and honest. These qualities set you worlds apart from certain other turbo manufacturers and when I'm ready to take it to the next level, I know exactly where I will put my business and my dollars. Do this community a great service and keep doing exactly what you're doing. We thank you.
+1000

2009 135i 6MT Jet Black, FBO+
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 10-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Sounds exactly like tuningwerk turbos. They do 720HP (flywheel) on their 1M with pumpgas (NO E85 nor meth), built engine though. 0-200km/h in 9.x sec.
They haven't released any info about the turbos, but I have seen it and it look like a 19T or 20T wheel with bigger ***** from turbo to fmic:

(#8)
Old

Car: E92 335i M-Sport
Default 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM

What kind of power levels can we expect? I read everything but didn't see that that was unknown Looking forward to updates. I have been waiting a very long time for the so called super RB's, so i hope this will be even better and not TOO pricey lol.

Will this be good for the AT guys, or will the TQ be too high for the AT?
(#9)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-25-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden
Sounds exactly like tuningwerk turbos. They do 720HP (flywheel) on their 1M with pumpgas (NO E85 nor meth), built engine though. 0-200km/h in 9.x sec.
They haven't released any info about the turbos, but I have seen it and it look like a 19T or 20T wheel with bigger ***** from turbo to fmic:

No. That pic shows that the plumbing they are using is OEM style connections, which essentially means they are still utilizing OEM TD03 compressor housings. Ours is using TD04 compressor housings and properly sized in/out plumbing, aka Stage 3 type system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S.
What kind of power levels can we expect? I read everything but didn't see that that was unknown Looking forward to updates. I have been waiting a very long time for the so called super RB's, so i hope this will be even better and not TOO pricey lol.

Will this be good for the AT guys, or will the TQ be too high for the AT?
Expectation is a true reliable TD04 style 650-700rwhp. As for the AT: The short answer is that if that is a concern then you may want to buy a MT car, consider the possibility that you may likely need to upgrade the AT, or just don't buy something that makes more power than it maybe able to handle. Turbos only provide the power, which we all want more and more, so if that is what you want you just have to expect the worst to support it. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Quote:
Thanks sir. Much appreciated.
(#10)
Old

Car: 08 135i Black
Default 10-25-2014, 05:13 PM

Great update...subscribing!
(#11)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 10-25-2014, 08:57 PM

RB is a true professional and I have 100% confidence in his ability to create a real game changer here!

(#12)
Old

Car: 2009 bmw 335i / alpine white
Default 10-25-2014, 11:01 PM

Subscribed and looking forward to ur updates

2009 bmw 335i , FBO ,
(#13)
Old

Car: 07 e92 M/T
Default 10-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
+1

FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
12.23 @ 118.9mph (RBs)
2.3 60' lol (single pass night, bog shifting)
(#14)
Old

Car: 09' 335i
Default 10-26-2014, 06:35 AM

I've seen the difference preturbo inlets make on other platforms and its actually astonishing. I gaurantee you'd see improved performance on anything from maxed out stockers to upgraded stock frames.

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV O2 sensor retro kits!

335i 2010 e92 M-sport Mods: VM Top mount 6466, Aquamist HSF4 w/custom direct port. VRSF IC + Exhaust
335i 2009 e90 665RWHP VFF900 ST RIP .
(#15)
Old

Default 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Rob, we appreciate your professionalism and not testing with your customers.
Looking forward to the outcomes of your R&D.
(#16)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 10-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Haven't pulled the trigger yet because I was waiting for your Super RBs but now I guess I'll have to wait a little more for these!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#17)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 10-26-2014, 05:04 PM

I've run RB's for over 2.5 years and love them every time I start my engine; OEM feel, more power, killer on the track, no issues with reliability what so ever.

Rob, I note your comment in the first post "Fitment across models and drivesides is unknown". I do want to move to a stage 3 twin setup, when there is one that can compete with current RB's in not just power but quality and reliability also. I am so envious of all you LHD car owners out there where development is going to make you spoiled for choice. Rob, no one considers RHD cars in their design; I ask that you please please please keep us in mind with this development!

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless **'s / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#18)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Rob, we appreciate your professionalism and not testing with your customers.
Looking forward to the outcomes of your R&D.
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
Haven't pulled the trigger yet because I was waiting for your Super RBs but now I guess I'll have to wait a little more for these!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
We think it will be worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet
I've run RB's for over 2.5 years and love them every time I start my engine; OEM feel, more power, killer on the track, no issues with reliability what so ever.

Rob, I note your comment in the first post "Fitment across models and drivesides is unknown". I do want to move to a stage 3 twin setup, when there is one that can compete with current RB's in not just power but quality and reliability also. I am so envious of all you LHD car owners out there where development is going to make you spoiled for choice. Rob, no one considers RHD cars in their design; I ask that you please please please keep us in mind with this development!
RHD and other fitments have been considered but for now the most important thing is to complete the setup and see how it performs and to see if the market is there. At the end of the day if it doesn't directly bolt up to other models/drive sides it can be made to work for the other models with enough determination, but again will cross that bridge when we get to it.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Very cool!

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#20)
Old

Car: '09 E92
Default 10-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with the Super RB turbos? Did they fail after limited miles of use or was it something else?

335i Coupe: E85 BB flash, JB4 G5 ISO (map 7), DCI and 60% E85 blend: 11.7 @ 120 mph.

Former Best with JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH
(#21)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default 10-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Will people with rb's already get a discount or core charge? Something like that.
(#22)
Old

Car: e92 335
Default 10-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Wow ! Getting this for my 1M for sure !!
(#23)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92
Out of curiosity, what was the issue with the Super RB turbos? Did they fail after limited miles of use or was it something else?
The issue is the plumbing fore and aft the turbo. They are not real welcoming on large inducer turbos, and cause them to self destruct fairly quickly when pushing them hard with it all in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiggz
Will people with rb's already get a discount or core charge? Something like that.
This setup will not be very similar to RBs (ie. Stage 2) as nearly everything changes to new hardware (ie. Stage 3). Not sure yet, it is just far from the radar even considering at this point as we still need to finish developing it and test it first.

(#24)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Good to know cant wait for them, ganna put them on my christmas list for sure :D
(#25)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM

I'll say this... I like VTT. I've helped his customers hit some nice goals. I've also SEEN and helped your customers hit nice goals. My wastegate rattle like a mofo and I'm watching the stage 2+ closely, I'm no early adapter unless I'm building a "kit" homemade to my standards. That being said, I do not like clipped wheels, they sacrifice transient response and are a means to an end I would like to avoid, but want 20T airflow. Make it happen man.
Closed Thread