Car: 2009 bmw 335i / alpine white
Default 08-29-2014, 11:16 PM

Subscribed ! I hope all goes well !

2009 bmw 335i , FBO ,
(#52)
Old

Car: BMW 335I
Default 08-31-2014, 07:10 AM

Got the turbos removed yesterday. Today I'm gonna practice my TIG welding and hopefully get some of the manifold mach'd up.
Attached Images

(#53)
Old

Default 08-31-2014, 07:16 AM

Here are some pictures of what my Dad is working on. '64 Triumph TR4
Attached Images

(#54)
Old

Default 08-31-2014, 07:18 AM

This is his finished product of his MG. Won many trophies and all work done here.
Attached Images

(#55)
Old

Car: Cobalt SS
Default 08-31-2014, 07:30 AM

awesome triumph! good luck with the manifold
(#56)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-31-2014, 10:44 AM

^^ Noor! My cobalt SS buddy! lol

Can't wait to see those turbos fit in that tight package!! Goodluck brotha

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#57)
Old

Default 08-31-2014, 05:43 PM

So I mach'd up the front turbo today. Still needs to be finish welded but tomorrow I'll move onto the bottom mount. So far so good.
Attached Images

(#58)
Old

Default 08-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
^^ Noor! My cobalt SS buddy! lol

Can't wait to see those turbos fit in that tight package!! Goodluck brotha
Thanks bro! Top mount is done and tomorrow onto the ******** and bottom mount turbo. Hopefully I can get most of it mach'd by tomorrow, my helping crew will be back to work on Tuesday.
(#59)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrep335I
Thanks bro! Top mount is done and tomorrow onto the ******** and bottom mount turbo. Hopefully I can get most of it mach'd by tomorrow, my helping crew will be back to work on Tuesday.
Very interesting bro!!! one top mount, one bottom mount. Holy crap, best of both worlds in one packaged. I commend you, that is pretty ingenious.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#60)
Old

Car: 2009 bmw 335i / alpine white
Default 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Looks great ? I can't wait to see the finished product and the dyno

2009 bmw 335i , FBO ,
(#61)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
So I mach'd up the front turbo today. Still needs to be finish welded but tomorrow I'll move onto the bottom mount. So far so good.
Epic project man. Looks like you are really focused and moving quickly. This is wicked cool. Just sick!
(#62)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-31-2014, 10:40 PM

Not gonna lie. Seeing that pic of the subframe hanging out makes me pretty sick. Seeing those turbos side by side puts things in perspective. Damn I can't wait to do this. Where did you get the flanges for the manifold to attach to the turbo? Looks great so far. Will be checking this a lot this week!

2009 135i - Berk Tech. Race Axleback - Injen Short Ram Intake - BMS JB4 G5 ISO - CXRacing FMIC - ER Chargpipe - BMS Straight Down ***** - Walboro Inline Fuel Pump - Spec Stage 2+ Clutch - Spec SMFW - BMS Dual Meth Kit - BMS Backend Flash
(#63)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to following your progress.

335is DCT
(#64)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-01-2014, 01:31 AM

Which one of your neighbors called the cops?

Might want to limit the Tarripin intake...it'll probably speed up the tig welding learning curve.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#65)
Old

Default 09-01-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jduke
Looks great ? I can't wait to see the finished product and the dyno
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch
Epic project man. Looks like you are really focused and moving quickly. This is wicked cool. Just sick!
Thanks, It certainly been interesting. Lots of trial and error fitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNky6913
Not gonna lie. Seeing that pic of the subframe hanging out makes me pretty sick. Seeing those turbos side by side puts things in perspective. Damn I can't wait to do this. Where did you get the flanges for the manifold to attach to the turbo? Looks great so far. Will be checking this a lot this week!
I was a bit worried about pulling the sub frame. I was surprised how easy it was to drop it down. Now getting it back up is probably a different story.

The merge collector I bought off Ebay. It's a 4 to 1 merge collector. The unused port is going to be modified for the wastegate port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to following your progress.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Which one of your neighbors called the cops?

Might want to limit the Tarripin intake...it'll probably speed up the tig welding learning curve.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Lol. The interceptor is one of my friends who is helping with the build. I always bust his chops because he gets pulled over more then me.

The TIG learning process is coming along but the real experience will be the finish welding. Running root passes and the cover is going to be fun. I expect it will take 2 days just to final weld everything. I also need to rig up my back purge equipment.
(#66)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 09-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Got the turbos removed yesterday. Today I'm gonna practice my TIG welding and hopefully get some of the manifold mach'd up.

Moch-up That is unless you plan to break the sound barrier while welding.

Looking good, did you consider just tacking everything with the mig and having a local tig welder finish the weld? There is a lot of weight on each manifold and from my experience unless you have been tig welding for a while this is going to be a long ugly process. The last thing you want to be doing is cracking manifolds and having to pull them again or have welds blow out etc.

I am a devout DIY'er however unless you have someone who really knows how to tig I doubt you will be happy with the look and performance of the welds. A few hours behind a mig and most people (myself included) can put down some ok welds. There are guys who tig weld for a living and are hesitant to do manifolds because of the clearances and exposure.

I only ask because everything looks great aside from the weld work, did you add two pie cuts to the cyl 1 runner? Also please pick up a wire wheel if you don't already have one, those joints look untouched from the fresh pipe. Questionable penetration and not cleaning the metal can also lead to a lot of problems done the road, especially with the tig. You can mig weld through some nasty **** (even then it shows, I have seen welds that appeared strong pop off with the whack of a hammer) but the tig wont like that. Notice how guys who tig always look like they are in a lab?

Also curious about how you plan to fit the dual WG's, ********* and cooling lines not to mention the custom 2-1 turbo outlet pipe? That is going to be one SERIOUSLY tough process without the car on a lift, even with a lift that is some work. While you are in about $4k now you still have a lot of supplies and parts to purchase, you will likely have to pull the motor and keep in mind that the cost of cooling/oil lines are not cheap, plus two WG's, 02 bungs, DT flanges.

I see a lot of people in this thread talk about the benefits of the upgraded twins, I can't see how this makes any sense over an existing ST kit or manifold. This car is not going to spool quick so why not halve EVERYTHING you are doing and just build a single? If OEM like spool with higher HP is what you want you should have just done hybrid singles or dropped your turbos off at a shop, given them $3k and asked them to build you a td04 hybrid on the OEM frame. You would likely be able to exceed 600HP with the right tuning, not have to custom fab literally EVERYTHING and save dozens of hours and thousands of dollars.

If you knew how to tig weld, had a lift and had built a turbo manifold before I would maybe agree but even then, you are going for power and 20 years of inline 6 jap motor tuning has shown time and time again, if you want big power you go ST. Have you every looked at the small number of aftermarket upgraded TT kits for the Supra? The pipe work is a nightmare and that car has more aftermarket support than any turbo motor on the market.

What is your HP goal? Not a dig but that is the cheapest tig welder available (eBay correct?) by a loooooong shot. It sounds like you could have spent considerably less on an existing solution and then had the cash to upgrade the rest of the car. Judging by the turbos you must be planning big numbers and so I assume you have done subframe bushings, motor mounts, M3 control arms, built your trans, added an LSD, purchased wheels tires and brakes to support the HP, added additional oil cooling etc.

Like I said man, I am a DIY'er until the end but this just confuses me a bit. I feel like it's a fun idea but you have a super long road ahead of you and I don't think I would recommend learning how to weld during this project by building a twin turbo external WG manifold.

I hope I don't sound like a dick but I have been building cars for a long time and just wanted to add some advice/ask the questions people don't like to ask. I like the DIY project but I would REALLY recommend two things....

1. Go single, jamming all of that into the bay is IMHO not possible for you, if you do manage it the package will not be pretty or easy to service.

2. Tack the joints and have a local, qualified, TIG welder back purge and finish weld everything.

'07 e90
(#67)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
Very interesting bro!!! one top mount, one bottom mount. Holy crap, best of both worlds in one packaged. I commend you, that is pretty ingenious.
+1
Twin turbo ftw!

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#68)
Old

Default 09-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
Moch-up That is unless you plan to break the sound barrier while welding.

Looking good, did you consider just tacking everything with the mig and having a local tig welder finish the weld? There is a lot of weight on each manifold and from my experience unless you have been tig welding for a while this is going to be a long ugly process. The last thing you want to be doing is cracking manifolds and having to pull them again or have welds blow out etc.

I am a devout DIY'er however unless you have someone who really knows how to tig I doubt you will be happy with the look and performance of the welds. A few hours behind a mig and most people (myself included) can put down some ok welds. There are guys who tig weld for a living and are hesitant to do manifolds because of the clearances and exposure.

I only ask because everything looks great aside from the weld work, did you add two pie cuts to the cyl 1 runner? Also please pick up a wire wheel if you don't already have one, those joints look untouched from the fresh pipe. Questionable penetration and not cleaning the metal can also lead to a lot of problems done the road, especially with the tig. You can mig weld through some nasty **** (even then it shows, I have seen welds that appeared strong pop off with the whack of a hammer) but the tig wont like that. Notice how guys who tig always look like they are in a lab?

Also curious about how you plan to fit the dual WG's, ********* and cooling lines not to mention the custom 2-1 turbo outlet pipe? That is going to be one SERIOUSLY tough process without the car on a lift, even with a lift that is some work. While you are in about $4k now you still have a lot of supplies and parts to purchase, you will likely have to pull the motor and keep in mind that the cost of cooling/oil lines are not cheap, plus two WG's, 02 bungs, DT flanges.

I see a lot of people in this thread talk about the benefits of the upgraded twins, I can't see how this makes any sense over an existing ST kit or manifold. This car is not going to spool quick so why not halve EVERYTHING you are doing and just build a single? If OEM like spool with higher HP is what you want you should have just done hybrid singles or dropped your turbos off at a shop, given them $3k and asked them to build you a td04 hybrid on the OEM frame. You would likely be able to exceed 600HP with the right tuning, not have to custom fab literally EVERYTHING and save dozens of hours and thousands of dollars.

If you knew how to tig weld, had a lift and had built a turbo manifold before I would maybe agree but even then, you are going for power and 20 years of inline 6 jap motor tuning has shown time and time again, if you want big power you go ST. Have you every looked at the small number of aftermarket upgraded TT kits for the Supra? The pipe work is a nightmare and that car has more aftermarket support than any turbo motor on the market.

What is your HP goal? Not a dig but that is the cheapest tig welder available (eBay correct?) by a loooooong shot. It sounds like you could have spent considerably less on an existing solution and then had the cash to upgrade the rest of the car. Judging by the turbos you must be planning big numbers and so I assume you have done subframe bushings, motor mounts, M3 control arms, built your trans, added an LSD, purchased wheels tires and brakes to support the HP, added additional oil cooling etc.

Like I said man, I am a DIY'er until the end but this just confuses me a bit. I feel like it's a fun idea but you have a super long road ahead of you and I don't think I would recommend learning how to weld during this project by building a twin turbo external WG manifold.

I hope I don't sound like a dick but I have been building cars for a long time and just wanted to add some advice/ask the questions people don't like to ask. I like the DIY project but I would REALLY recommend two things....

1. Go single, jamming all of that into the bay is IMHO not possible for you, if you do manage it the package will not be pretty or easy to service.

2. Tack the joints and have a local, qualified, TIG welder back purge and finish weld everything.
No worries, your not sounding like a dick. I fully understood what I was undertaking and it is a huge challenge. This is something that I really wanted to do so I could push the envelope of my skills and learn some new ones.

Today I had some shock in the fitment, spent the whole day moving and adjusting the rear turbo. I think I've finally settled on a location and tomorrow I will get back at it.
(#69)
Old

Default 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM

Not to much fab work today. I picked up some filters and reviewed my options of placement. Finally think I picked a spot and will continue tomorrow. Sure doesn't help with all this humidity.
(#70)
Old

Car: Cobalt SS
Default 09-01-2014, 06:59 PM

Best way to learn tig is to just start welding actual parts not making bs practice passes, that's exactly how I learned. Just make sure your penetration is good and keep the tungsten clean & sharp and you'll be fine
(#71)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-05-2014, 02:19 PM

Sooo...?
(#72)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 09-05-2014, 02:42 PM

(#73)
Old

Default 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Still in process. The merge collector I have takes up to much room. currently thinking of a work around.
(#74)
Old

Default 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM

So I finally moch'd the rear turbo. Man what a PITA, I ended up having to create a log style manifold for the rear due to the very limited space. I'm taking a quick break from the madness and gonna re-do the front manifold.

The project is still progressing forward, just at a slower pace then planned. stay tuned for more info.
Attached Images

Last edited by NJrep335I; 09-12-2014 at 11:07 AM..
(#75)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

MY GOD. That is not easy, how do you plan on doing the ******** for the top mount?

Burger Motorsports