N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM

As with any car, PCV valves can degrade or get contaminated over time. I am really kind of shocked they do not sell the part. Perhaps they do and its just not something easily identifiable on real oem?

Either way, I'd still recommend a better solid solution and better valve. Its not like it leaks ALOT, but it leaks. Thats just more the turbos have to work, and then only to add slightly more pressure to the crankcase. Keep in mind that is with a good PCV valve, perhaps they get much worse over time.

I don't think the valve cover ever goes bad per se, but I'd bet the gaskets can leak over time in some cases. As I said earlier, pressuring that gasket at each of the 6 airflow channels mixed with a bad gasket can again cause the turbos to work harder trying to maintain boost targets and also either pressurizing the crankcase or atmosphere. Torquing the valve cover on the intake side could help for an easy cheap fix, but if it has to come off definitely a new gasket and some sealant around each of those 6 air channels would be a good idea.

My guess is the dealer replaces the whole valve cover as the parts catalog does not identify just the valve, plus they'd like to rule out a problem with the gasket situation as noted above as well.

As for the thought of this "upgrade", I just prefer to have no weak links. A fairly cheap and easy solution makes any concerns a moot point.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan
Good work Rob, definitely looking forward to updates on this.

Interestingly my mechanic decided to replace the valve cover, pcv pipe and gasket when he installed the turbos last week. He mentioned that his brother works as a master technician for BMW and recommended changing the parts as a few n54s they had in needed those parts replaced under warranty. Could be bs but I decided to give him the go ahead as I had issues with oil consumption and my OCC (now removed).

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#27)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Its possible you have an issue with your oil catch can installation or other PCV valves. There are 2 of them. One if this is very easy to fix/replace, and is like $25. The other is the one I am trying to address.

I really do not see if all else is well a nice high quality high flow OCC like the BMS unit causing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider
I'm pretty interested too. I've had 3 different OCCs: RR, BSH, and now BMS for the last 6 weeks. I checked the BMS OCC a couple days ago and there's a a coating of oil but no real accumulation. I always drive it like I stole it and I never caught much oil in RR or BSH can either. It would seem though that in all cases, with any can installed, I consume oil much faster, like a quart every 1K to 2K miles as opposed to maybe a quart in 5K with the stock PCV setup. Sounds like enrita and themyst may have had somewhat similar experiences... I hear everyone say you have to use a catch can, but it just doesn't seem like it's working for me and I don't have enough knowledge/experience know what's the best thing to do. So yeah, bring on the discussion.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#28)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
As with any car, PCV valves can degrade or get contaminated over time. I am really kind of shocked they do not sell the part. Perhaps they do and its just not something easily identifiable on real oem?

Either way, I'd still recommend a better solid solution and better valve. Its not like it leaks ALOT, but it leaks. Thats just more the turbos have to work, and then only to add slightly more pressure to the crankcase. Keep in mind that is with a good PCV valve, perhaps they get much worse over time.

I don't think the valve cover ever goes bad per se, but I'd bet the gaskets can leak over time in some cases. As I said earlier, pressuring that gasket at each of the 6 airflow channels mixed with a bad gasket can again cause the turbos to work harder trying to maintain boost targets and also either pressurizing the crankcase or atmosphere. Torquing the valve cover on the intake side could help for an easy cheap fix, but if it has to come off definitely a new gasket and some sealant around each of those 6 air channels would be a good idea.

My guess is the dealer replaces the whole valve cover as the parts catalog does not identify just the valve, plus they'd like to rule out a problem with the gasket situation as noted above as well.

As for the thought of this "upgrade", I just prefer to have no weak links. A fairly cheap and easy solution makes any concerns a moot point.

Rob
Rob How about some kind of fix to make all this gunk go to the OCC instead or would this cause to much crankcase pressure?
(#29)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

I've thought about that as well but I think it may just be too much. It is possible there maybe a really good compromise by just maintaining the PCV valves, valve cover gasket sealing confirmation, running an high flow BMS OCC, and dealing with the fact that this is an internal combustion engine and it will get dirty over time so expecting some maintenance is not unreasonable.

What you are saying can be done. BUT you would have to plug the valve cover ports, tap the intake manifold, make an external PCV system to attempt to intercept oil vapors sucked into the valves at the low load conditions. That just seems like a lot of effort and additional complexity/engine bay mess, that may not have much benefit over just running a healthy PCV system. You'll notice some peoples valves look really good over many miles, some others look horrible. There are tons of factors that can make this happen, but I'd bet PCV system maintenance as having been discussed is some substantial factor.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpijb
Rob How about some kind of fix to make all this gunk go to the OCC instead or would this cause to much crankcase pressure?

(#30)
Old

Default 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I've thought about that as well but I think it may just be too much. It is possible there maybe a really good compromise by just maintaining the PCV valves, valve cover gasket sealing confirmation, running an high flow BMS OCC, and dealing with the fact that this is an internal combustion engine and it will get dirty over time so expecting some maintenance is not unreasonable.

What you are saying can be done. BUT you would have to plug the valve cover ports, tap the intake manifold, make an external PCV system to attempt to intercept oil vapors sucked into the valves at the low load conditions. That just seems like a lot of effort and additional complexity/engine bay mess, that may not have much benefit over just running a healthy PCV system. You'll notice some peoples valves look really good over many miles, some others look horrible. There are tons of factors that can make this happen, but I'd bet PCV system maintenance as having been discussed is some substantial factor.

Rob
I bet you could do the second part rob. Lot of people are like me and dont want to keep having to take the manifold off and clean or pay someone to do it. I would rather someone like you or terry make a new valve cover for the n54 that would be able to direct all this gunk to the bms OCC.
(#31)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Oh, no, that would not be possible. You would require a secondary catch can isolated to this secondary check valve. So just a lot of mess. I bet most of the gunk is flung into the PCV system through the high flow PCV conditions anyhow, probably moreso when your PCV system is not in optimum health, but having the BMS High Flow unit there will help there.

I know everyone wants perfection, but you will not find it. All cars have intake valves and they all will get dirty over time. Port Injections helps a lot, but they still will get dirty as well. The idea is to make the maintenance need less of an issue or to extend the interval to a very reasonable amount. Consider that 50k-75k mile intervals is quite a few years, so pulling the intake to valve cleaning (if needed) is not like a yearly ordeal.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpijb
I bet you could do the second part rob. Lot of people are like me and dont want to keep having to take the manifold off and clean or pay someone to do it. I would rather someone like you or terry make a new valve cover for the n54 that would be able to direct all this gunk to the bms OCC.

(#32)
Old

Default 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, no, that would not be possible. You would require a secondary catch can isolated to this secondary check valve. So just a lot of mess. I bet most of the gunk is flung into the PCV system through the high flow PCV conditions anyhow, probably moreso when your PCV system is not in optimum health, but having the BMS High Flow unit there will help there.

I know everyone wants perfection, but you will not find it. All cars have intake valves and they all will get dirty over time. Port Injections helps a lot, but they still will get dirty as well. The idea is to make the maintenance need less of an issue or to extend the interval to a very reasonable amount. Consider that 50k-75k mile intervals is quite a few years, so pulling the intake to valve cleaning (if needed) is not like a yearly ordeal.

Rob
Rob, waiting on you to give us a fix so I can buy it and make sure my PCV system is always up to par. Cant have it flinging that nasty stuff all over my valves if i can avoid it.
(#33)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Have ordered the upgraded PCV. With any luck it will be a direct swap and/or simple DIY.

(#34)
Old

Default 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Have ordered the upgraded PCV. With any luck it will be a direct swap and/or simple DIY.
(#35)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-20-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm just as excited about this as the next guy! Haha. Hopefully can get some data to you guys by Friday. If I can come up with a simple DIY solution the mod could cost as little as $25. Of course if custom work/adaptations are required that will change. Keep fingers crossed for simplicity!!!

(#36)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-21-2012, 05:48 AM

Hoping it comes today!!

(#37)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Got the new PCV. Tested it back to back with the N54 PCV. Honestly its a pretty substantial difference.

I think I have a solution as well to get it installed with little to no customizations. Something fairly quick, plug and play. Still have to do a little test fitting, but wanted to give a little update.

(#38)
Old

Car: 09 E93 335i
Default 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM

My car drinks oil like I drink beer. Let me know if you need testers.
(#39)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Have you already replaced the external vent hose? If not, do so, observe new results. Post back asap. I likely will want some testers, some who have oiling problems and others who are healthy.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicks570
My car drinks oil like I drink beer. Let me know if you need testers.

(#40)
Old

Default 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM

I haven't touched any of it. I was planning to install a bms occ and clean mt intake valves this weekend. Is the external vent hose one of the ones I'll be replacing when I install the occ?
(#41)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM

It stays in place so you will still need it.
(#42)
Old

Car: 08 135i
Default 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM

ok two stage question here. What is the closest to perfect engine setup when it comes to PCV. There has to be something out there with all the elaborate factory or aftermarket setups on different engines. Seconds has anybody thought about a basic cleaning design that would constantly spray (or venturi) cleaner into the intake to clean the valves but never enough to modify the AFR or cause negative affects on the performance so that pulling the intake mani to shell the valves is never a requirement. Just seems there has to be a better way.
(#43)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk
ok two stage question here. What is the closest to perfect engine setup when it comes to PCV. There has to be something out there with all the elaborate factory or aftermarket setups on different engines. Seconds has anybody thought about a basic cleaning design that would constantly spray (or venturi) cleaner into the intake to clean the valves but never enough to modify the AFR or cause negative affects on the performance so that pulling the intake mani to shell the valves is never a requirement. Just seems there has to be a better way.
2) isn't methanol injection close to what you are asking for? Maybe one could add some cleaner fluid to the methanol (low concentration) to keep valves nice and clean?
(#44)
Old
Keyboard racer

Car: 335i e92 MT
Default 03-23-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I likely will want some testers, some who have oiling problems and others who are healthy.

Rob
I have no oil consumption problems, but since this sounds very interesting I'd really like to try this.

| 335i n54 e92 MT | Vishnu V5 | Big Tom IC | Vishnu DCI, With Big Tom Heatshield | Big Tom Air Scoops | Modified BMS OCC | Cooling Mist Basic Meth Injection | Forge DV's |
| Ultimate Racing ********* 2.5" DPs | Milltek ********* Exhaust | ACT Street Clutch | MCV | OEM Aero Lip | OEM M-shift Nob | M3 Trunk Spoiler | M3 Alu Pedals | Black M3 19" |

(#45)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 03-23-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Got the new PCV. Tested it back to back with the N54 PCV. Honestly its a pretty substantial difference.

I think I have a solution as well to get it installed with little to no customizations. Something fairly quick, plug and play. Still have to do a little test fitting, but wanted to give a little update.
looking forward to your report Rob!

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless **'s / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#46)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Dzenno you are def one on my list because I know you will analyze it to the fullest extents imaginable lol.

(#47)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Oh boy....

(#48)
Old

Default 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Anyone have a part number or pic for the external vent tube so I can grab one?
(#49)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

www.realoem.com is a great tool...

(#50)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Have the solution. Final product will be under $50 shipped. Need testers first. Looking for 4 testers, need them to install quickly and give feedback. Will be free for your efforts and testing.