N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#326)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Hell I would have bought yours had I known about it. I'm cheap, but I already spent my $28. I think that's way too much even after spending the money, but it is a quality app. The problem I have with charging that much is that he is charging people a price for an app they won't use once they no longer have a jb4. It's not like you can resell your app purchase to someone else when you can no longer use it. /offsoapbox
(#327)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 135i
Default 06-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey
Hell I would have bought yours had I known about it. I'm cheap, but I already spent my $28. I think that's way too much even after spending the money, but it is a quality app. The problem I have with charging that much is that he is charging people a price for an app they won't use once they no longer have a jb4. It's not like you can resell your app purchase to someone else when you can no longer use it. /offsoapbox
Initially I wasn't going to reply to this, but I want to make a few points.

First of all I am a 23 year old software developer trying to pay my own way through college. I'm not just some random company or anything like that. I have been developing my apps since October of last year and have invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours making everything from my free OS X app to my paid iOS and Android apps. I invested all of those hours with no compensation initially and this is how I recoup that huge time investment.

Second, we are driving BMWs! And not just that, but BMWs with tuning chips and other performance mods. So what if you can't regain that $28 after selling your vehicle, the loss you will take in depreciation alone will far outweigh that.

Anyways, it is nice to see a free mobile option out there. Kudos to N54Mike.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#328)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Keep up the good work, in my opinion money well spend

Thank you for your hard work and making the apps
(#329)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM

I can't stand when people buy BMW's, new or used (I bought mine used), then complain about spending $28 on an app that would cost hundreds of dollars to create dedicated hardware AND software without a smartphone.

Good luck trying to own your own business if you think people should give away ALL their hard work for free!

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#330)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacpro91
Initially I wasn't going to reply to this, but I want to make a few points.

First of all I am a 23 year old software developer trying to pay my own way through college. I'm not just some random company or anything like that. I have been developing my apps since October of last year and have invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours making everything from my free OS X app to my paid iOS and Android apps. I invested all of those hours with no compensation initially and this is how I recoup that huge time investment.

Second, we are driving BMWs! And not just that, but BMWs with tuning chips and other performance mods. So what if you can't regain that $28 after selling your vehicle, the loss you will take in depreciation alone will far outweigh that.

Anyways, it is nice to see a free mobile option out there. Kudos to N54Mike.
Kudos to you brother. You have a bright future ahead of you. Please note that I did pay for it. ;-) I also said that it is a quality app. I still think it's a bit high priced. Not only would the app become useless if you sold the car it would also become useless if you just stop using the jb4. With all that said, please also note that I said I'm cheap.
(#331)
Old

Default 06-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg
I can't stand when people buy BMW's, new or used (I bought mine used), then complain about spending $28 on an app that would cost hundreds of dollars to create dedicated hardware AND software without a smartphone.

Good luck trying to own your own business if you think people should give away ALL their hard work for free!
Why do you hate what other people's opinions about spending money are, lol? If you are an android user you should know there are many high quality apps that are quite inexpensive. And the software you are referring to is actually free from BMS and everyone owns a laptop. With this app you are paying for convenience. Finally, no where did I say he should give it away. I specifically said I thought the price was high. If other folks didn't think how I think wouldn't he have 1000's of app purchases/downloads on both platforms with as many JB4's that have been sold? On Android it shows 100's of downloads, but maybe the ios app has sold in higher numbers. I dunno.

Just some simple math....
2000 purchases at $15 gives you $30,000 and a lot of word of mouth marketing.

3000 purchases at $10 gives you $30,000 and a lot of word of mouth marketing.

Lets say 800 actual downloads at $28 which gives you $22,400 and moderate word of mouth marketing.

It's all a trade off and the owner and producer of the product makes the decision. I'm just a customer who has an opinion.
(#332)
Old

Car: NA
Default 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54mike
Try clearing app data
This works but only temporarily. After a few days I have to do it all over again because it won't connect
(#333)
Old
Legend

Default 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey
Kudos to you brother. You have a bright future ahead of you. Please note that I did pay for it. ;-) I also said that it is a quality app. I still think it's a bit high priced. Not only would the app become useless if you sold the car it would also become useless if you just stop using the jb4. With all that said, please also note that I said I'm cheap.
I appreciate the kind words, but I don't understand the cheap argument if you are driving a BMW and then modifying it on top of that. It's still just $28. At minimum wage that's only 4 hours of work. I think if people understood exactly how much time goes into making an app (I have between 200-250 hours put into the Android app alone), they would see why certain apps are so pricey. Small little games on the store are so cheap because millions of people buy them. Even at 99 cents, that's millions of dollars. However on apps like this with a very small market, there is almost no way to make up the amount of time you spend creating the app without having a higher price.

I would LOVE to get even 500 downloads in the next year or 2. With current trends, it would take another year to hit 500 downloads. iOS is moving slower, simply due to the fact that I have to make each of my Bluetooth kits by hand.

Also, if someone would buy the app at $15, they would probably buy it at $28. Don't forget, Google and Apple take a 30% cut.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#334)
Old
Registered Users

Car: M135i
Default 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM

Which brand of OTG cable has been confirmed working? I have bought two different now - no success
My phone is a Samsung S5 Mini.
(#335)
Old

Default 06-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
Which brand of OTG cable has been confirmed working? I have bought two different now - no success
My phone is a Samsung S5 Mini.
A simple google search shows its your phone that doesnt support otg. Get a custom firmware to support or dif phone
(#336)
Old

Default 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Hey. Just purchased this app and it connected and was working fine. Didn't log because had some drinks. But, today I tried to hook it up and it won't connect and the screen pops up to report a problem. Any suggestions?
(#337)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM

Hey i bought the app connected and work fine today i tried to connect and it doesnt allow me too is says waiting for jb4 handshake then fails!