N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#326)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrider
What ever came out of this? I thought at one point Rob you had talked about designed a modified bucket to use other aftermarket pumps?

Has anyone tried any other inline pumps besides the Walbro GSL392?
My update is the same as last time. That is there was someone else working and/or almost done with a solution. They'd have to pipe up and say how it is going.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#327)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Can't comment on a drop in solution...I've gone a different direction.

Yes, I have a different inline option in place, although in my application the 255 would work fine as well.

Will be testing some other options in a couple weeks. Wanted to make sure my fuel system was stable and robust before proceeding.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#328)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM

The 5er's seem to have a slightly different fuel system to the 1's and 3's.

I'm trialing a solution where we've added the fuel bucket from a v8 X5 into the driver side fuel tank and attached it downstream of the regulator.

Still tweaking it but it seems to be doing the job.

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#329)
Old

Car: a slow one
Default 02-23-2014, 03:53 AM

So Steve what ever happened to your ported fuel rail is it helping at all or?
(#330)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM

I'm still running a ported rail. I need to do some more testing to say conclusively how much/if it really helps with a stock HPFP but have concentrated my efforts in other areas of the fuel system. I may revisit it in the near future but don't have any plans of doing much with it at this time.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#331)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
My update is the same as last time. That is there was someone else working and/or almost done with a solution. They'd have to pipe up and say how it is going.

Rob
I want this:
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...-pump-install/
Just requires some sort of harness to strap the pumps to. Should be enough room in our bucket.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#332)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra
So Steve what ever happened to your ported fuel rail is it helping at all or?
I have it on my car and it definitely stabilized pressure north of 5k rpms with E50 blend.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#333)
Old

Car: a slow one
Default 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Now that I've gotten my life back together somewhat I will and making that adapter for the 455. So we can run it inline with our factory pump, so no disturbing the stock configuration and we could add the 455 full e85.
(#334)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92
Default rail upgrade - 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM

Sorry I know this is an old thread. Here is something I have been thinking of trying. My idea is to tee off the outlet of the hpfp going to the rail. The stock rail has the inlet on the front and nothing on the rear of the rail, meaning bank 1 would get more flow then bank 2. I want to attempt a tee from the hpfp outlet and have 1 hose go to the front of the rail and 1 hose go into the rear of the rail. I've noticed a lot of people complaining of cylinder 5 and 6 misfires which makes me wonder if its due to injectors 5 and 6 the last to get fuel. Also steve can you give me the final drill bit sizes you used on the rail and the hpfp. Going to attempt to bore everything out, add a inline pump next to the transmission (have a 450 intank), and add the tee and extra inlet to the rear of the rail.

Thanks,
Michael
(#335)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-05-2015, 08:41 PM

Michael,

My advice:
1. Do not run a 255 inline with the 450 pump, the 450 maxes out the HPFP.
2. Do not run an inline pump without a regulator.
3. The rear of the rail has the "hpfp sensor".
4. The gains for drilling out the individual ports is minimal at best. IIRC, we did .0625" but it's currently sitting in a cabinet and we run a stock rail.

Frankly...while we had our ups and downs with all that testing, on a stock HPFP, there isn't much to be gained. We did it all and now run completely stock from the HPFP to the injectors.

BTW, you are working with 3000psi...make sure you plan accordingly.

If you do, good luck.

Steve

(#336)
Old

Default 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. May try adding a rear hose to the rail. I would have to tee the sensor in at the rear of the rail. I will be using cline hose and hydraulics here in greenville sc. They have the metal hoses I need to hold the 3000 psi. Would be interesting to see if adding a rear hose to the rail will help anything. I would think it would in theory.
(#337)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-05-2015, 09:04 PM

I see where you're coming from...but also remember that those pressures readings at taken at the back of the rail where you plan on tee-ing in.

(#338)
Old

Default 02-05-2015, 09:25 PM

good point.
(#339)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Sorry...but at the time of this thread, everything was new to us. Since that time we have dissected the HPFP and done virtually everything we could...with minimal gains and maybe a little bit better response. However, mostly what we found was that the bellows in the HPFP simply bottom out, and if your pressures and supply are sufficient (>50psi) there isn't much else we can do.

Not to discourage you, because I can understand wanting to try it for yourself.

(#340)
Old

Default 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM

I understand and thanks for all the advice. Think i do need to add a second 450 in tank. I hit 603 whp with my 6266 top mount and my lpfp which has never been a problem before is now getting into the low 50s.
(#341)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM

What are your cars specs? Running meth or race gas?

(#342)
Old

Default 02-06-2015, 04:35 AM

E30/e40 mix of e85/93. 6266 top mount, meth with cm7, cm10, and a port meth setup with 3 gph nozzles.