N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Koen

Car: 2008 e90 335i
Icon1 My twin turbo replacement journey - 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Let me start off by introducing myself since I am relatively new to this community. My name is Koen, I am 18 years old, and I have been the owner of my 335i for a little over 3 months. About a month or so after purchasing my vehicle I began to receive the 30FF boost leak code, which I soon learned would lead me down a very expensive and stressful path. I replaced just about everything weak in the boost system (charge pipe, diverters, etc) except for the intercooler. I then began to hear the infamous wastegate rattle and decided I needed to bite the bullet and buy new turbos (Note: Also found both coolant and oil leaking from the rear turbo. I decided to order some RB Two's (BTW I would definitely recommend their products because of quality and customer service) instead of the OEM turbos. Short on money, I told myself that I could complete the job by myself. Long story short, I was able to install the new turbos, *********, inlets, JB4 and more in one week and three days. However, as many of you can guess, I ran into a mind-numbing amount of issues. Because of my car's age (right above 120,000 miles), many parts decided to break or fail when dismantling the car (such as upper coolant hose, coolant overflow hose, vacuum lines, boost solenoids, etc). I have also had no boost production (restricted solenoid-wastegate hose), steering wheel not fully turning to the left (detached steering column, turned, and reattached), exhaust leak (rotated ********* and bought more gaskets), and a wacky AFR (Burned O2 sensor line caused by exhaust leak heat). Now, 1 month after completion of the job, I can finally say my car is close to done with having the O2 sensor as my final replacement/fix. This is a job I swore to myself never to do again (theoretically I should never have to) because of how stressful it was. However, I did save myself quite a lot of money and also gained some additional respect for the people who work on these cars. So for anyone out there thinking about tackling any turbo job, it is possible as long as you have the tools and mindset to follow through with the job.
Mods: RB Two's, RB inlets, RB PCV valve and cap, BMS OCC, ER charge pipe, Forge diverters (5-15 springs), MMP CLDP's, BMS BOV adapter, BMS DCI's, JB4 w/ BMS backend flash and Bluetooth kit, Vorshlag camber plates, Ohlins RT adjustable coilovers, M3 control arms, limited slip differential, etc...
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 E93 335i
Default 06-06-2019, 05:18 AM

As an older bloke now (in my 50's) it's good to see a young fella getting in there and getting it done. A lot of kids these days just chuck this type of thing into the 'to hard basket'. Well done mate.
(#3)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 06-06-2019, 05:38 AM

Nice job.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Very nice.
Did you use a lift, ramps or jack-stands? (if ramps/jack-stands, what height?)

----

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (190,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4 Map 6 | RACE BEF | 94 Octane | @19 PSI
BMS: JB4 | BMS WMI @ 60/40 (CM10) | BMS 5" FMIC | BMS OCC | BMS DCI
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020
RB PCV Valve

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019 - VCG | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Water Pump & T Stat
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewolf
A lot of kids these days just chuck this type of thing into the 'to hard basket'. Well done mate.
Most younger people can't afford a finished garage, car lift, engine hoist, full euro toolset, and being without their car for 10 days plus. Cheaper and easier to just pay the pro-shop and have warrantied work.

That said I give OP a ton of credit as this is one of the biggest nightmare jobs in the BMW world, and that is some top notch work.

Also, how the hell is that engine block so clean at that mileage?
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 E93 335i
Default 06-06-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Most younger people can't afford a finished garage, car lift, engine hoist, full euro toolset, and being without their car for 10 days plus. Cheaper and easier to just pay the pro-shop and have warrantied work.
That's what dad's are for
(#7)
Old

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 06-07-2019, 04:03 AM

He probably used something like brake clean. I plan on completely cleaning the block with similar products to get rid of residual oil smells and such when the engine heats up.

One thing I miss about my 2012 boss 302. When it heated up it didnt have a smell like an old dirty engine has.

Everything gets a bath when I tackle my turbo swap

2009 E92 335i AT
Engine
Rev9 Hybrid 16t twins, Injen cyborg intake, CP-e charge pipe with HKS SSqv BOV, RB external PCV catch can, BMS catch can, Cobb intercooler, HKS Legamax exhaust, RB inlets, VTT single barrel hpfp, fuel-it! stage 2 lpfp, MOTiV Flex fuel flash only w/ trans tune by Cedar Performance
558rwhp and 523rwtq on e60
(#8)
Old
Koen

Default 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Very nice.
Did you use a lift, ramps or jack-stands? (if ramps/jack-stands, what height?)
I have a friends who’s father owns both a personal shop and lift which he kindly let me use. I can imagine how much harder this job would be if done on jack stands. Being able to raise and lower the car helped with ease of positioning and removing parts.
(#9)
Old
Koen

Default 06-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB

That said I give OP a ton of credit as this is one of the biggest nightmare jobs in the BMW world, and that is some top notch work.

Also, how the hell is that engine block so clean at that mileage?
Thanks, it really was a tough job. I had bought most of my tools years in advance for other purposes but did have to buy new tools such as ratcheting wrenches and an engine support bar. I did indeed use brake clean, and used about 4-5 cans in total by the end of the project. For most ports I would spray onto a towel or wipe instead of the main surface.