N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M3 f80
Default JB4 S55 MHD back end flash issues - 11-21-2018, 04:04 AM

So can someone please confirm a few things for me if anyone has had the same issue

History - im from Australia Iím the second owner 2015 m3 f80, down ***** * , full AK exhaust and AFE intake. Apparently previous owner had the DME flashed but not sure what type or stage... recently dyno at my local workshop as is and we got 386whp on 98 fuel so not too bad...

Now I recently installed a JB4 and wow defiantly faster and more power Iíll dyno soon but it must be over 410- 420whp

1) I set it up as per current update and map 6 default settings took it for a drive in map 2 and itís a beast so much more power = awesome
2) I did a code read when I got home and as I expected cel code for cats pop up. No biggie delete it with the JB4 but....I also have a 201101 DME tamper protection code that I canít clear? I did some research and I donít think the JB4 did that.. correct me if itís possible.
3) I was planing to do the back end flash with MHD I have the bimmergeeks cable and android ready to go so I plugged it in and followed the instruction but every time I plug it in the cable light comes on for 2sec and then no light suggesting no power .. it wonít stay on and my android MHD app wonít pick up the cable.

Conclusion Iím assuming the tamper protection code is stoping me accessing the DME? Correct?

Therefore Im assuming I need to get the code cleared from bmw before I can flash MHD
Any confirmation or advice would be appreciated
(#2)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM

update;

took the car to local bmw and they cleared the code no problem but they said depending on the previous tune the car will do it again but it wont affect the power or anything.

secondly when we cleared the code i quickly pluged in the bimmergeaks cable to see if i could get a signal but same problem... the cable light turns green then red then off... and the MHD app still wont pick up cable detection... so confusing and this is the second cable i have used.

so im out of ideas can anyone shed some light or has experienced the same issue.
(#3)
Old

Car: '11 E90 335i
Default 11-21-2018, 10:27 PM

DME tamper code is due to a flash tune. I've seen this numerous times recently with BM3, but not with MHD so far. Then again, it could've been a completely different flasher that generated the code.

Make sure to unplug the OBDII connector from the JB4. Some of the older units have a pass through port, which prevents the MHD app from communicating with the car.

Post your location if you continue to have issues. I've helped a few local guys get their flashing issues ironed out. Maybe someone local to you will be able to lend a hand, as well.

2017 M3 ZCP
(#4)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 10:45 PM

thanks Narstune,

yes i have followed the MHD instruction to the letter, and yes i did have the OBDII connector off and JB4 set to map 0 prior to disconnecting.

its really strange, because my local tuner has done many M3/M4 tunes and was with me today and said the same thing when we cleared the tamper code. he mentioned it will still throw the code again next time i start the car and wont affect the performance. then we cleared it again then tried using the bimmergeek cable again and same issue the light comes on for a few seconds then turns off. both my cables do the same thing.

so hes stumped and so am i, maybe i need to go to BMW and get the OEM tune back on before i do the MHD flash?

but that still makes no seance because people change tune brands and stages all the time?
(#5)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 10:47 PM

forgot to add,

located in Australia

Melbourne Victoria.
(#6)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Maybe try flashing the BMS BEF via BM3. This method works just as well, less the burbles feature and startup roar, which tends to disappear with BM3.

2017 M3 ZCP
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2018, 11:32 PM

The car has probably been previously hard flashed, and they may have screwed with the read/write functions when doing that. Have a JB4 log so we can see if it has the stock flash on it?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 11:39 PM

I don’t want BM3 I’m sold on the options MHD have

That’s what I’m thinking terry, I’ll do some map2 runs and post them
(#9)
Old

Default 11-21-2018, 11:51 PM

Additionally if I do have a flash on already from previous owner dose that mean I can turn on future D bit back end flash?
(#10)
Old

Default 11-22-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CICCO
Additionally if I do have a flash on already from previous owner dose that mean I can turn on future D bit back end flash?
I personally wouldn't recommend doing that unless you know the nature of the flash tune.

But in your circumstance, it would probably help to enable FUD bit6 and switch to Map 1, as this will force the JB4 to target flash boost values only.

BTW, I've used both MHD and BM3 extensively as a BEF flasher, and there's nothing in MHD that BM3 doesn't have and vice versa.

You can also e-mail your VIN to BM3 support to check if your car was ever tuned via their platform and/or properly flashed back to stock based on their records.

2017 M3 ZCP

Last edited by narstune; 11-22-2018 at 12:09 AM..
(#11)
Old

Car: M4
Default 11-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
update;

took the car to local bmw and they cleared the code no problem but they said depending on the previous tune the car will do it again but it wont affect the power or anything.

secondly when we cleared the code i quickly pluged in the bimmergeaks cable to see if i could get a signal but same problem... the cable light turns green then red then off... and the MHD app still wont pick up cable detection... so confusing and this is the second cable i have used.

so im out of ideas can anyone shed some light or has experienced the same issue.

If you have the bimmergeeks cable with the lil switch in the middle of the obd II plug make sure the switch is set to the middle. I had that same issue.

2019 M4 CP, jb4, MHD BEF, intake, down pipe, e85, BMS Meth kit, Trebila tuned
(#12)
Old

Default 11-22-2018, 03:26 PM

2018-11-22 18_27_12.csv

2018-11-22 18_31_21.csv
(#13)
Old

Default 11-22-2018, 03:29 PM

FYI

i have a bimmerGeek cable and a BMS cable.

both dont work but the bimmergeek cable light turns off after 2 seconds and the BMS cable light turns off after 50sec.

this process is doing my head in
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Looks like the stock flash is loaded so that's good at least! Likely, whoever flashed it left the ECU locked. I'm not sure where to go from here but try contacting MHD directly. Worst case, our BMS BEF also load via the BM3 system if you run out of other things to try.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#15)
Old

Default 11-22-2018, 04:46 PM

thanks for your help terry,

still odd as if its currently stock/locked wont MHD flash unlock it? anyway i have emailed MHD as we are discussing options.

i like running JB4 but if it all becomes too much of an issue im just better off selling my JB4 and switching over to BM3 all together.

i just dont want to loose the JB4 boost by gear/rpm features but the BM3 DCT flash and other features seem nice also.

i just wanted the best of both worlds
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-22-2018, 04:51 PM

I can't imagine why. Just use BM3 to load our map if that is what needs to happen in this case. Every BM3 custoemrs have been adding in the JB4 to address specific needs, it's no accident many records have been set lately on the JB4+BEF front. BM3 alone isn't going to give you everything the JB4 in conjunction with our free unlocked back end flash map can provide. By the time you pay tuners to make BM3 flash only maps and get all the hardware and crap it's an expensive option too with limited resale potential.

Burger Motorsports