N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#226)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 10-09-2018, 10:37 AM

Garage views! E39 will be up for sale soon since the E61 is almost done. E39 will receive all the critical chain guide and vanos maintenance as well as a manual trans swap prior to sale. It will probably go up on Bring a Trailer.

Since the wagon had sat for so long I checked the fuel which looked good, sometimes ethanol can deteriorate and become milky, my tank had an E40 blend.
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1CT60Vsq3VXbPAcbscIAgybjIOK2QbEP7ii07TID_sU91iUynI FHKJyAQKIhnM-57EiDWrYZR2i069YDg49BojBd8jDQUP49i2nehoyf-AxEJ_SwZlt2gcXryIoiHuk***j2rgXsciAbF92De9cXBLIg1n0 jaWXxD2uWfNxPrHOAEZUdrYuYHSkP6BcC-ulSZYanx9dWwGSDfnK9pgExM1fpvERibHuFKh13BofQzxg1gxQ kdbQRq3sILZM6qpXlYC0Ubcguywy6lu-uQI2eK-73C6sbIeBIHycr30QCW9YOWVD-ODuntdko9riln878PFzxdBvlp9ra8VWbVV8DD10QKXgcRaHc37 7atY2c801RVbJJOdt3ivXDZM3hHWs67eaUcazNoD_PHQ7-SCADJd1ZuVoP-KQwD4Ebf0s4xzwJujeJEIUTK0VfIE6-GlZAGGQszLDShN2MGtkFBohxGcVNiKsUVo_JmdvVpvyqZaQdgK mWcavg_KlpMsdqEETas_YXzj764tv-XZF58OZtgzzd98oe2g3UqDFJ-TxFG1xpj8QfMu103CyCG_BECDFLK3HJnY6HUgSDE9j393gm-YwlcudswD6_so2fnoux0rikD0MF1znwSX640FwPUCBK=w1309-h983-no[/IMG]

I also flashed my tune back to pump gas from E85 and lowered the boost.
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TGUCP06Ruq3lCM1HyNAZJ0YoDACffoGLvZVk0ViNFcEMP2OZq7 dnb5hqXUo8vPG_scgDPqziHzHVobev112sji5BBAO3FQQcDqRw BL8LWCcO2wPghsChQquWHuMa5Uw0S3DaXY0A_x6o5qjxsBQ4Pu pO9HGVrudwth8QPUks8XDY1R21roqMFiNoR8Y46xD7ouGGUQo9 rNKd7T0L0KmzGLM6EZo6vl0cqAwj5mMYWr82lJ-kwYo_eujfWeYY8uMX5F6lTMVBaXmSt6F5F83PLU0oECUPu_7ot 6c5L_sNZHF0LmtQtrBlMVCQwgCgLN2ozOvg***az5mUHMMXh6p ByhDlBnoryAGqc2HXJAJZ1HI9y3clzQ13iVzY4HXUy1EdgjE08 _plID9dSFOoRpghjPccG9oIXHHbcZ3hMRNhy_diDfkQ9mRiPXQ iqNogBnPYQdUKCCJw17z7_5Vysr91ZzvvcqoUbJcfXSxmhIC9F dTg_5sBJKpH0guPrGnH9dAll5mYHip-bdD44j0gy3sHeETid9HosUTJ0wFHqAzKpVNGYie6QwKh8S75WW GjI192Abk_SjjxpGf3djSZFRn73kHY5rbQE2dhhxkfUVqqDe-zZXxB4LVfhaeWRrRS0xPF=w1309-h983-no[/IMG]

After adding a bottle of Seafoam to the 1/8 tank I had left I went and filled up with some fresh 91.

Collision Factory in San Diego did a fantastic job on the apron repair. It looks factory (minus it isn't as oil/grime "tainted" like the other engine bay paint) and fitment is excellent.

Replaced headlight bracket carrier, it was only mildly bent but it was giving me some fitment issues and after attempting to rebend myself I threw in the towel and got a new one.

Originally I sourced a blue hood to repair and repaint but I came across an Alpine White one. It is in great shape and after some PDR and a proper paint correction it will be better than my original hood.

With the headlight carrier replaced that means I can install the horn, wheel liner, and most importantly the headlights which means I am road legal.

Road legal wagon = back to work! Shipping some wheels for my friend.

I took a moment to explore my xi spec KW V3s fitting into my RWD/M5 spindles.

Looks like I will have to explore some shims, if I can't find a solution then at least I know KW sells coilovers individually which is great, as a bonus I would be able to get the V1s which are great for my intended use, V3s are overkill.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#227)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Looks like I will have to explore some shims, if I can't find a solution then at least I know KW sells coilovers individually which is great, as a bonus I would be able to get the V1s which are great for my intended use, V3s are overkill.
You need the sleeves that KW uses to fit non M coilovers to M hubs. Take a look at the coilovers fro the e-series http://www.vivaperformance.com/kw-v3...mw-e90-e92-m3/
(#228)
Old

Default 10-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish
You need the sleeves that KW uses to fit non M coilovers to M hubs. Take a look at the coilovers fro the e-series http://www.vivaperformance.com/kw-v3...mw-e90-e92-m3/
Another forum was in a similar position but had ISC coilovers which were too small for the spindles. He got some shims from KW (p# 65010239) which take up ~10mm of space in the spindle, not sure if they are the same ones but they look similar, he will be sending them to me to test fit. He ended up getting custom shims made as his ISCs only needed about 5mm of space taken up.

My concern is the small lips in the bottom of the spindles that the struts bottom out on how that will play out with my struts being intended for the xi. Time will tell.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#229)
Old

Default 10-11-2018, 09:32 PM

I had a rough idle and some misfires popping up and after chasing my tail for a bit swapping coils and plugs I decided to just refresh all plugs to eliminate them collectively as a variable.
Went with Bosch plugs but will go back to gapped NGKs once I start running more ethanol and boost.

Old NGKs

New Boschs

Checked injectors via INPA

Due to a leaking radiator to oil filter housing hose there was a considerable amount of oil which had been dripping and blown onto the front of the engine by the radiator fan (so much for the spotless engine), the leak has been resolved but the belt still squeaked and wasn't sitting 100% correct on an idler pulley. With a fresh belt already on hand for this anticipated repair I removed the current one to check the pulleys, sure enough the upper idler was shot.

LIFE HACk: Your local O'reilly Auto parts (at least mine in San Diego) can order parts from local German part suppliers such as SSF and usually get both "Genuine BMW" and OEM brands like Febi, Lemforder, Uro, Ina, etc. Similar to what is available on ECS Tuning but the kicker is a delivery can happen quickly. From placing my order at the local store to them calling saying the part has arrived was less than 1 hour and the pulley I ordered was the same brand as what I was replacing, in this case Ina (OEM producer). Amazon Prime and Amazon Now can't compete!!

My plate turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would which is fine, to each their own. The intent was for the plate to describe the composition of the wagon; functionally it's an M5 with an N54 motor. All the chassis, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain upgrades that make an M5 an M5 are on my wagon so consider it an M5 with a motor swap. Sure the VIN reads 535xi so it's "not technically an M5" but if you value VIN numbers over the driving experience and function then you are missing out! For the record I tried to get "NOT AN M5" but it was taken in CA.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#230)
Old

Default 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Progress has been a little bit slow on the E61 as the E39 has been receiving a lot of attention, getting a custom tan on black interior, aftermarket M5/M-Sport bumpers, M5 steering wheel, M5 sway bars, revised exhaust, and more parts collected for the manual trans swap.

About a month ago I picked up a M5 fender, although the wagon is still bumper(cover)less the fender made it look a bit more appropriate for driving around even though it is 100% road legal with the real bumper aka crash bar.

Annie inspecting fender fitment. It isn't perfect since the small bracket which connects the front fender bracket to the headlight bracket was bent and I did my best to straighten it with no success so I have a new bracket ordered.

The wagon has been running around like this for a while now....

Wagon is running great, ethanol has been introduced and I am targeting 22psi, a little lower than before but "enough" for cruising around. 22psi should be putting out ~520whp

Bought the necessary power steering lines for the M5 subframe conversion, lines are actually from a 535i which are the only ones which will connect the M5 steering rack to my 535xi pump.

Last piece of the puzzle. My patience paid off, I was able to find a brand new OEM M5 bumper for $400, roughly half off what they go for online.

Here are a couple pics of the E39 which has been in the spotlight.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#231)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 12-14-2018, 10:11 PM

my favorite wagon

2008 535i SAT W/paddle shifters
Pure Stage 2 DD on the way!
VTT Inlets and Outlets
Spool Performance stage 3 LPFP
Fuel-It Ethanol Sensor + Lines
Motiv Flex Fuel Box
AD-Engineering 650 HP Intercooler
JB4 G5 ISO W/MHD BEF
XHP Flash Stage 3
Synapse CP with BOV
BMS OCC & PCV
Accuair Elevel
Hpdrivetech air bags
AG Wheels
(#232)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 01-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Evan, a quick question. So I'm in the middle of putting my n54 together, the engine is out of a 535xi. I bought a complete 335 engine some time ago and have the oilpan and ps pump. I can see the difference in ps pumps from the 335 and the 535. If I was to keep the 335 pan and ps pump, would there be a big difference in steering? I'd like to make it a drop in, as this is going into an e60 with a n52. I could wait to use the n52 pan and pump if I have to. I do have sport mode and like the steering in this feature. Thanks for any imput on this.
(#233)
Old

Default 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Evan, a quick question. So I'm in the middle of putting my n54 together, the engine is out of a 535xi. I bought a complete 335 engine some time ago and have the oilpan and ps pump. I can see the difference in ps pumps from the 335 and the 535. If I was to keep the 335 pan and ps pump, would there be a big difference in steering? I'd like to make it a drop in, as this is going into an e60 with a n52. I could wait to use the n52 pan and pump if I have to. I do have sport mode and like the steering in this feature. Thanks for any imput on this.
I am a little confused about your situation, you have a 535xi engine but you want to install a 335i PS pump and pan you already had and install it in a 535i? I would just get the correct pan and pump for the vehicle you are installing it in. IIRC the 535xi and 535i has a different oil pick up to go along with the xi pan. 535xi pan is also ~10lbs heavier than the 535i pan since it isn't reinforced. Not very familiar with 335i stuff.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#234)
Old

Default 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

I guess is sounded confusing when trying to write it. I'll leave the 535xi part out. So, I'm building a n54 for my e60 car with a n52. The n54 dosent have a pan because it's out of an xi. I have a 335 oilpan with ps pump, I'm aware these pans are series specific. I wanted to use the 335 pan that I have, I don't want to leave it open without a pan if possible. If not, then I'll have to wait till I pull the n52 out for that pan. I'm just wondering if you know about the 3series pumps, being smaller and such. I don't want to have to buy another oil pan when I have one, I'm trying to make this complete before drop in.
(#235)
Old

Default 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
I guess is sounded confusing when trying to write it. I'll leave the 535xi part out. So, I'm building a n54 for my e60 car with a n52. The n54 dosent have a pan because it's out of an xi. I have a 335 oilpan with ps pump, I'm aware these pans are series specific. I wanted to use the 335 pan that I have, I don't want to leave it open without a pan if possible. If not, then I'll have to wait till I pull the n52 out for that pan. I'm just wondering if you know about the 3series pumps, being smaller and such. I don't want to have to buy another oil pan when I have one, I'm trying to make this complete before drop in.
I am not familiar with the 335i vs 535i PS pumps but I would be default assume a 535i pump would be the way to go. Although car manufacturers can do some weird stuff I would assume that BMW engineers went with the larger pump for a reason on the bigger car so the safe is to run a pump appropriate for the chassis. If you really want more info then you can try looking up the make and model of each pump to see if you can track down manufacturer specs to compare power, flow, and any other applicable data that could confirm your question.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#236)
Old

Default 01-10-2019, 02:46 AM

Ya, I'm looking into it, I saw that pans and pumps differ, the 3 is a smaller pump, not sure what the outcome would be if running it. Appreciate the fast response!
(#237)
Old

Default 01-10-2019, 03:53 AM

I may have found what I was looking for, I notice that you have the larger ps fluid resivior. I pulled the same one and he larger pump out of the 535xi donor car. I can't rember if it was active or dynamic, but I'm thinking this is why the difference. I wish I new how to upload pics for reference.
(#238)
Old

Default 02-14-2019, 09:13 AM

The white wagon keeps getting undercut by these other "project wagons" I spend all my time wrenching on, to make matters worse (first world problems) I had an opportunity to pick up another E61 for a excellent price which will be a short term project for me and hope to have up for sale in a few months.

The grey E61 is an 08' with 127k, tons of maintenance, and some nice mods.
OEM M5 front end, Grigio Telesto paint w/ black roof and black engine bay, Cobb AP, Dinan muffler, and 20" Vossen CV3s. I will be going through it making some necessary repairs, preventative maintenance, and executing some choice mods to further enhance the wagon. If you like my white wagon then there is a lot you will like about "DAS GRAU."
More here: Another Project Wagon - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Updates on the white one are minimal but progress is being made. After replacing some damaged brackets I was able to test fit the OEM front bumper and fitment is excellent. I also test fit the OEM M5 engine bay splash shield which is RWD subframe specific and will wait for the subframe swap to go on.

I ordered a used 535i DSC module/pump. Previously I used my 535xi pump with a 528i module (same BMW # as 535i) and haven't been able to resolve my ABS/DSC warning lights even with the tremendous help of Levan who is an advanced BMW coder. Hopefully the pump is the culprit.

The last piece of the puzzle for installing my RWD/M5 subframe is resolving the strut incompatibility. Perhaps KW just released them or US distributors are now offering them for sale in the US even though there are literally <5 E61s in the US that could use them but KW now offers a RWD E61 specific coilover setup and thankfully it uses factory-tuned non adjustable V1 variants. I never use the adjustments on V3s and hate paying twice the price for essentially the same performance (IMO). Once the coilovers arrive I can complete the RWD subframe swap and enjoy the M5 steering rack.

New bracket

Bumper test fit

M5 splash shield will be a nice finishing touch once the subframe is swapped

535i DSC unit

My bumper is unpainted, my fender is the wrong color, and I need to modify a headlight.....
better go recondition that side marker.....

Current pics

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#239)
Old

Default 10-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Not too much to report on the white wagon. She is still an ugly duckling from the outside which was compounded by me cracking my own windshield while trying to remove the top weather stripping. Insurance should cover it even though I am a dumb dumb.

I am still running a single 450 LPFP so my power is fuel limited, eventually that will be upgraded to dual 450s but as an interim solution I turned down the boost to a level where I can run full ethanol. I don't care to blend all the time and with CA gas prices being stupid high E85> 91 (duh).

I did have some misfires popping up and some of them were terminal, meaning clearing the codes didn't resolve the misfire. It turns out my (upgraded) Delphi coils were dying and some completely ate the bed. Thankfully I have a box of used OEM injectors and coils on hand. A few weeks ago one Delphi coil died, I replaced it with a used OEM coil and all good! This week I have another misfire, again replaced cyl 6 with a used OEM coil, then the next day two more Delphi coils died, at least their lifespan is consistent! lol. Planning for the inevitable I replaced the removed the last 2 Delphis and intorduced them to the trash can. I am now back on all used OEM coils. There are either the coils I originally had on my wagon before "upgrading" to the Delphis OR they are used coils from my buddies RB Turbo E90 that were removed prior to a single turbo conversion. I plan to run these until they die because, why not!?

Aside from the coils dropping like flys the wagon has been a sweetheart in terms of function and reliability so I will give myself a big pat on the back knowing I did something right! lol

I have some other projects which are stealing the spot light from the white wagon but I am looking forward to getting the white wagon's aesthetics back up to par with it's mechanical performance. Until then I will continue to live by my function>form motto.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon: