N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Exclamation Help reading my logs - 04-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Hi guys, just recently set up my JB4 on an m140i

plugged everything in no problem, and I've lead a usb to plug into my laptop so I can change the map and log my runs. I'm using a laptop due to the fact my 140i is build model June 18 and is using the new instrument cluster that isn't compatible with the JB4 yet. I don't have a bluetooth dongle installed.

I'm running the application on my Mac and I have also run it on my windows laptop. Each time when the engine is running I get no accurate readings at the bottom. This screenshot should explain it better:

For example the RPM (when the engine is running) reads at 0 at all times.

So I'm not sure the log is reading correctly and I'm a bit concerned.

I'm currently running map 2. These are the results I've got from 2 runs from 60 - 120 mph.

I really don't understand how to read these maps but I'm 100% something isn't correct here. As you can see the peak rpm was 3000 - when I was redlining 3rd gear. Could anyone shed some light?

I'm running Interface version: OSX 1.9.1 and Firmware Version: 58/11/15. I updated my JB4 software when I first plugged the car in and everything connected perfectly - but then I ran into this problem.

Mirror links incase something doesn't work:

no rpm reading: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

log issues: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
(#2)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 04-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Have you got the JB4 connected to the OBD port ?
(#3)
Old

Default 04-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Yes - I've plugged in a diagnostics tool to the OBD and I know it's working correctly. I can also definitely feel the difference with the maps. So it's all connected properly.
(#4)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 04-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Not a diagnostics tool, you need the OBD cable for the JB4. One end plugs into the JB4, the other into the OBD, you need to keep it plugged it as this is where it reads all the sensor values from.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Yes - that is what I am doing.

What I meant was - we plugged a diagnostics tool into the OBD to make sure everything was working and reading correctly - which it was. The RPM, boost pressure, throttle etc was all reading correctly via the diagnostic tool. I permanently have my JB4 plugged in via the OBD - otherwise it wouldn't even work.
(#6)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 04-07-2019, 03:41 PM

It's either the connection of the OBD to the JB4 or the cable itself. The connector is directional, but I've noticed that it doesn't take much to connect it incorrectly. Make sure the angled locator part matches up with the JB4 connector. If it is and you still have issues, you may have to get another cable. If you got it direct from a vendor, they generally warranty them and will replace.
(#7)
Old

Default 04-08-2019, 12:59 AM

I didn't get it from a vendor, but thank you for the help. Atleast we can narrow it down to something. I'll order another OBD cable and see if that helps.

thanks again.