N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i M Sport
Default Jb4 hit and miss - 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM

I have a n55 jb4 pwg with **, cp, intake and I'm running map 5. I have the latest firmware and OBDii connection. Issue I'm having(engine is warmed up) is that sometimes I floor it and the jb4 doesn't "kick in" and feels like stock boost, and the next time I floor it, it does kick in. It runs great when it does "kick in" and like stock when it doesn't. The high-jacked fuel/boost guage correlates with this behavior. The times the jb4 doesn't kick in the fuel/ boost guage doesn't move and the car runs like its stock. And ideas? Also have the jb4 Bluetooth connect.
(#2)
Old
M-Terkait

Car: F30 335i
Default 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Happens to me too, I haven't seen a fix, but jb4 needs to read over 1psi to wake up i think.

N55 - Doc race 6266.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Any jb4 user adjustments to "help" wake it up. That's exactly how it acts, like it will fall asleep and not do anything at times then it wakes up and runs awesome.
(#4)
Old

Car: 135i (N55)
Default 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

New to JB4 (ISO firmware) and I noticed that too... Sometimes trying to downshift I get lackluster throttle response and then the car bogs upon takeoff in the lower gear like no boost is being made. I'd rather run the stock map if JB4 performance varies this widely from one second to the next. I am talking about a moving car here, not one that has sat for 5 minutes and has had time to heat-soak...
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM

As mentioned, if the oil temp isn't above 160 you will get stock boost.

In addition, if you're octane is poor and you've been on map 5 for a few adaption pulls, then your boost targets may have learned down. Once you reset map 5 they may return to high boost targets but again poor octane/timing will lead to your boost targets being reduced over time.

Post a log on map 1 and lets see what that looks like.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-23-2016, 02:10 PM

Make sure you have the latest firmware. Then capture it "not working" on a JB4 log so we can see what's going on. Sure it will be an easy fix.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM

I did some more 3rd and 4th gear runs and my logs are short again. I have the wot start threshold at 20% and the wot logging time out at 10 seconds but it's taking a very small snapshot, as if the jb4 is not recognizing the throttle position. I did 4 runs, two runs were very good with great boost and fuel gauge hijack worked and two runs were stock like and low boost with no gauge hijack. Seems that it had to be some kind of miscommunication between the ecu/throttle position and the jb4?
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-24-2016, 09:18 AM

You always have the option to manually start a log.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#9)
Old

Default 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM

Yeah. I manually did start it. If I just cruise around it logs everything but if I go an do 3rd and 4 gear pulls it just takes very short logs like what is sent you yesterday. That log yesterday was a 3rd or 4gear pull from 2800 to redline shift and a little more in 5th gear.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM

In you're opinion, does it sound like a bad connection or firmware issue?
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2016, 07:19 AM

When starting the log manually, do it a few seconds before the pull and then stop it whenever it is safe to do so.

(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 06-25-2016, 10:02 PM

check power and ground connections

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777
In you're opinion, does it sound like a bad connection or firmware issue?
Don't do anything at all until you post a JB4 datalog of the car not running "properly".

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.