N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: x1 35i jb4 stage2
Default N55 iso Code 3166 and oddities around 3k rpm - 12-19-2015, 09:53 PM

I couldn't find any threads that even mentioned 3166 being thrown. I did some digging and it's "Tank safety valve malfunction", "The diagnostic function monitors the flow through the fuel tank's EVAP vent line.", "Evaporative Emissions System". The codes been thrown twice now, same day and it comes along with 2C90 (Blow-off valve mechanics - tuner code). Map 1. The log is in 2nd but I didn't realize this until I've already uploaded it, but it's no different (for the issue) to a third gear log.

Unfortunately I don't know when the codes were thrown, there was a 5 minute window with 3 WOT that one code was thrown (one of the pulls included).

This might or might not be related but I'm seeing what I'd think is unusual activity around the 3k rpm, it's in almost every last one of my WOT pulls near the 3k rpm. AFR spikes, trim spikes (to compensate for the lean?), and boost dips about 2 psi for a moment. The log I included also shows timing being decreased at this moment, but really only about 20% of WOT's does timing get pulled at this specific rpm.

Then about a third of my WOT pulls at about 6k-6.5k rpm pwm dips a huge amount, below FF, before returning back up for the rest of the rpm's.

After checking a few dozen logs my HP stays between 11 and 15, LP I've never seen at anything but 8.699, trim adjustment is mostly identical per pull, and timing is quite inconsistent and dipping all over logs. I've seen avg timing go from 2 to 5 even on the same tank of gas. FOL is sitting around 57, but I've seen it in the 80's at times.

Sorry, 3 big questions asked in one post...

(Edit, Added second log from earlier in the day showing 3k issue but without timing hit (and note the pedal is lifted around 5.2k rpm which caused the dips there)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2015-12-19 20_25_51.csv (11.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: csv 2015-12-19 16_13_46.csv (10.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by highAltX1; 12-20-2015 at 09:44 AM..
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 12-20-2015, 05:27 AM

This will give you a bit more info:-

3166 RS.pdf
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-20-2015, 10:15 AM

It's some sort of a fuel pump related fault but doesn't seem have anything to do with how the engine runs or the log itself. As that seems normal.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM

There is no LPFP sensor on the N55, so ignore that reading.

There are a few lines associated with the DMTL system and venting the tank.

-Line from filler neck to the top hat (small connector on top)
-Large vent line from top hat to charcoal canister
-Large vent line from bottom side of top hat to vent tank (internally)
-Throttlebody to charcoal canister

Not really sure what that error is referring to. Sounds like it probably has something to do with a valve that is closed in the case of a roll over.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Car: x1 35i jb4 stage2
Default 01-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Update - Code isn't showing up.

I ran the car in map 0 for a week and didn't see the problem. I did unscrew and re-tighten the gas cap as a "won't hurt to try" but I doubt that was related, however, this was the only thing I did besides switch to map 0 for the week. I ran another week in map 5 and haven't seen the problem. For now I'm considering it a fluke.